Rachmaninoff's Paganini Rhapsody
Add Reply
Kerrison
2020-12-10 11:56:42 UTC
Stokowski conducted the 'Paganini Rhapsody' for the first time when he gave the work its World Premiere in 1934 with the composer at the piano. Nearly 40 years later, at the age of 91, he conducted it for the last time with Ilana Vered as soloist. I haven't compared the 1934 Philadelphia recording with this 'live' LSO performance but I'd be surprised if some of the tempos were as hell-for-leather as they were in the Royal Albert Hall that evening. It's a great credit to Ilana Vered that she was able to keep up! ...

So what are your favourite 'Paganini Rhapsody' recordings?
George
2020-12-10 12:13:32 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Stokowski conducted the 'Paganini Rhapsody' for the first time when he gave the work its World Premiere in 1934 with the composer at the piano. Nearly 40 years later, at the age of 91, he conducted it for the last time with Ilana Vered as soloist. I haven't compared the 1934 Philadelphia recording with this 'live' LSO performance but I'd be surprised if some of the tempos were as hell-for-leather as they were in the Royal Albert Hall that evening. It's a great credit to Ilana Vered that she was able to keep up! ...
http://youtu.be/m6f-xfT7MRE
So what are your favourite 'Paganini Rhapsody' recordings?
Rudy/Jansons
George
2020-12-10 12:16:22 UTC
Rudy/Jansons
Neil
2020-12-10 15:02:09 UTC
Rubinstein / Reiner I guess. Don't listen to it much these days.
Kerrison
2020-12-10 16:08:26 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Stokowski conducted the 'Paganini Rhapsody' for the first time when he gave the work its World Premiere in 1934 with the composer at the piano. Nearly 40 years later, at the age of 91, he conducted it for the last time with Ilana Vered as soloist. I haven't compared the 1934 Philadelphia recording with this 'live' LSO performance but I'd be surprised if some of the tempos were as hell-for-leather as they were in the Royal Albert Hall that evening. It's a great credit to Ilana Vered that she was able to keep up! ...
http://youtu.be/m6f-xfT7MRE
So what are your favourite 'Paganini Rhapsody' recordings?
Rubinstein / Reiner I guess. Don't listen to it much these days.
I seem to remember that the Earl Wild / Horenstein set of the 4 Concertos and the Rhapsody had the highest praise when it became more readily available once released from the confines of Readers Digest. It was produced by Charles Gerhardt with a Decca engineering team and it's reissue on the Chandos label shows how splendid it was. Indeed, maybe Stokowski's tempos weren't so hell-for-leather after all! ...

Henk vT
2020-12-10 17:38:47 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Stokowski conducted the 'Paganini Rhapsody' for the first time when he gave the work its World Premiere in 1934 with the composer at the piano. Nearly 40 years later, at the age of 91, he conducted it for the last time with Ilana Vered as soloist. I haven't compared the 1934 Philadelphia recording with this 'live' LSO performance but I'd be surprised if some of the tempos were as hell-for-leather as they were in the Royal Albert Hall that evening. It's a great credit to Ilana Vered that she was able to keep up! ...
http://youtu.be/m6f-xfT7MRE
So what are your favourite 'Paganini Rhapsody' recordings?
Moiseiwitsch/Rignold 1955

2020-12-10 17:52:46 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by Kerrison
Stokowski conducted the 'Paganini Rhapsody' for the first time when he gave the work its World Premiere in 1934 with the composer at the piano. Nearly 40 years later, at the age of 91, he conducted it for the last time with Ilana Vered as soloist. I haven't compared the 1934 Philadelphia recording with this 'live' LSO performance but I'd be surprised if some of the tempos were as hell-for-leather as they were in the Royal Albert Hall that evening. It's a great credit to Ilana Vered that she was able to keep up! ...
http://youtu.be/m6f-xfT7MRE
So what are your favourite 'Paganini Rhapsody' recordings?
Moiseiwitsch/Rignold 1955
Henk
Wow, this raises a question. This review shows a 1955
Moiseiwitsch Rhapsody with Sargent/BBC SO.

https://tinyurl.com/y3ahldqu

Is this an error? I see other references to a Rignold
recording from 1955 with the Philharmonia. Could there be
two different recordings?
Kerrison
2020-12-10 18:34:09 UTC
Post by Henk vT
Post by Kerrison
[...]
There does appear to be an error! ... The March 1959 Gramophone Catalogue shows Moiseiwitsch & Rignold / Philharmonia (on HMV CLP 1072) with a review date of September 1956. According to John Hunt's "Musical Knights" Discography, the only recording of the work conducted by Sargent was made in 1948 with Cyril Smith and also the Philharmonia. (Columbia LP 33SX 1579). This has been issued on a Guild CD, as per this link to their complete performance ...

Kerrison
2020-12-10 18:58:09 UTC
Post by Kerrison
Post by Kerrison
http://youtu.be/-gvP3AiaHK4
I should have checked the MusicWeb review first! ... The Moiseiwitsch / Sargent / BBC Symphony recording was of a 'live' performance broadcast from the Proms on 8 September 1955. For your amusement, the complete programme consisted of Rimsky-Korsakov's 'Maid of Pskov' Overture; the 'Paganini Rhapsody'; Shostakovich's 10th Symphony; Alfred Orda singing "No Sleep, No Rest" from 'Prince Igor'; and finally Stravinsky's 'Firebird' Suite. Whew!
Hank Drake
2020-12-10 19:13:13 UTC
For historic I'd pick Kapell/Reiner, along with the composer's own recording with Stokowski. Since I can't restrict myself to just one (or two), I'll also throw in a vote for Moiseiwitsch/Cameron - it's like buttah!

There's no shortage of fine stereo recordings, one of which is Wild/Horenstein. Pennario/Fiedler is not mentioned as often as it should be, imo. The performance has plenty of virtuosity balanced with a warm sentiment that never descends into sentimentality. The 18th Variation is schmaltz-free, while there is plenty of sizzle in the following variations as the work gallops to a close. This ranks very near the top of my preferred recordings of the work.

If you insist on digital, you can't go wrong with Thibaudet/Ashkenazy.

Hank
dk
2020-12-11 01:29:52 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
For historic I'd pick Kapell/Reiner, along with the composer's own
recording with Stokowski. Since I can't restrict myself to just one
(or two), I'll also throw in a vote for Moiseiwitsch/Cameron - it's
like buttah!
There's no shortage of fine stereo recordings, one of which is Wild/
Horenstein. Pennario/Fiedler is not mentioned as often as it should
be, imo. The performance has plenty of virtuosity balanced with a
warm sentiment that never descends into sentimentality. The 18th
Variation is schmaltz-free, while there is plenty of sizzle in the following
variations as the work gallops to a close. This ranks very near the top of
my preferred recordings of the work.
If you insist on digital, you can't go wrong with Thibaudet/Ashkenazy.
Still living in a cave? Pletnev and Ayako Uehara.

dk
Owen
2020-12-14 19:10:40 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
For historic I'd pick Kapell/Reiner, along with the composer's own recording with Stokowski. Since I can't restrict myself to just one (or two), I'll also throw in a vote for Moiseiwitsch/Cameron - it's like buttah!
There's no shortage of fine stereo recordings, one of which is Wild/Horenstein. Pennario/Fiedler is not mentioned as often as it should be, imo. The performance has plenty of virtuosity balanced with a warm sentiment that never descends into sentimentality. The 18th Variation is schmaltz-free, while there is plenty of sizzle in the following variations as the work gallops to a close. This ranks very near the top of my preferred recordings of the work.
If you insist on digital, you can't go wrong with Thibaudet/Ashkenazy.
Hank
There's another Pennario recording, made in 1961, with Leinsdorf and the LA Phil. It doesn't displace Rubinstein/Reiner as my favorite, but it is briskly paced and well played. It's in a 10-CD box featuring Leinsdorf in a wide range of repertoire, available cheaply on from Amazon.
I like the humor in this work. Particular the last phrase of the piece.
Like people, some pianists just can't tell a joke. Van Cliburn,
though, hits it on the nail, with a matter-of-fact innocence/swagger
that clinches it with perfect comedic timing.

-Owen

"Seriously, what do you see in that guy?"
"He makes me laugh"

-Jessica Rabbit, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Alan Cooper
2020-12-11 15:11:21 UTC
Lossless for the equivalent of about USD$4: https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/90017-liszt-koncert-pro-klavir-a-orchestr-c-1-es-dur-rachmaninov-r. Hardly known, rarely mentioned, but fantastic (ditto the Liszt coupling).

2020-12-14 21:48:34 UTC
https://www.supraphonline.cz/album/90017-liszt-koncert-pro-klavir-a-orchestr-c-1-es-dur-rachmaninov-r. Hardly known, rarely mentioned, but fantastic (ditto the Liszt coupling).
That is Valentin Gheorghiu. Arguably the best pianist Romania has produced.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDM2Dka_GYtaxOwUibHciVg

dk
Precious Roy
2021-10-05 15:03:07 UTC
Not to be missed: this excellent video of Stokowski rehearsing the Rhapsody with Jerome Lowenthal as soloist in 1968:

HT
2021-10-05 16:46:54 UTC
Post by Precious Roy
http://youtu.be/mzuOVqk_HxA
Thank you. Great to see Stokowski at work. It is not the conductor I would choose if I did not know my score.