Which are the most interesting recorded performances of the Brahms op 36 Sextet? The second.
Add Reply
Graham
2022-01-01 18:55:38 UTC
The only one I've ever heard is with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Koncz, Caussé, Chilemme and Clemens Hagen, on this CD
https://www.discogs.com/release/10385962-Brahms-Renaud-Capu%C3%A7on-Christoph-Koncz-G%C3%A9rard-Causs%C3%A9-Marie-Chilemme-Gautier-Capu%C3%A7on-Clemens-Hagen
It's such an amazing piece of music. I want to get to know it better.
The Raphael Ensemble on Hyperion are excellent.

The Amadeus Qtt (with Aronowitz and Pleeth) is also available but one is
only allowed to criticize Brainin's vibrato these days:-)
Al Eisner
2022-01-01 20:43:53 UTC
Post by Graham
The only one I've ever heard is with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Koncz,
Caussé, Chilemme and Clemens Hagen, on this CD
https://www.discogs.com/release/10385962-Brahms-Renaud-Capu%C3%A7on-Christoph-Koncz-G%C3%A9rard-Causs%C3%A9-Marie-Chilemme-Gautier-Capu%C3%A7on-Clemens-Hagen
It's such an amazing piece of music. I want to get to know it better.
The Raphael Ensemble on Hyperion are excellent.
The Amadeus Qtt (with Aronowitz and Pleeth) is also available but one is only
allowed to criticize Brainin's vibrato these days:-)
A strong second of the Raphael. The CD includes both sextets, the first
(nearly) as wonderful as the second. Hyperion is sold cheap at
Berkshire, but that probably doesn't do Howie much good.
Steve Emerson
2022-01-01 21:50:06 UTC
The only one I've ever heard is with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Koncz, Caussé, Chilemme and Clemens Hagen, on this CD
https://www.discogs.com/release/10385962-Brahms-Renaud-Capu%C3%A7on-Christoph-Koncz-G%C3%A9rard-Causs%C3%A9-Marie-Chilemme-Gautier-Capu%C3%A7on-Clemens-Hagen
It's such an amazing piece of music. I want to get to know it better.
I agree with Graham and Al on the Raphael. Their sextets are much stronger than their string quintets. I also like the Bartok Quartet et al in the sextets -- theirs is a somewhat contrarian view, not as chipper as what most ensembles do. You might also try l'Archibudelli; this is one of their best discs, I think. One more, I don't know if you'd like it or not; I come and I go on them -- Menuhin, Gendron et al in both sextets. Their love for the music comes through.

Unfortunately there are a lot of one-offs of the first sextet and not many of the second. In the first, Les Musiciens (Pasquier, Pasquier, Pidoux et al) are terrific; an old Alan Cooper favorite.

SE.
Frank Berger
Quatuor Sine Nomine (withNicolas Pache and Francois Guye).
Randy Lane
I'll have revisit it, but I recall liking the L'Archibudelli recording so much I played it every day for a week or two.
Steve Emerson
2022-01-02 03:58:11 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
[...]
Yes, very much agree with Frank on the Sine Nomine. These might be even better than their string quintets. I went earlier to look for them (sextets) on my shelves, couldn't find, grew confused -- perhaps this will sound familiar. (At least I didn't go out and buy them a second time...) Anyway, a great set, great Op 36.

Best,
SE.
Mandryka
2022-01-02 16:43:27 UTC
Thanks for all these recommendations of things to listen to. In fact one which has caught my attention today in a very positive way is Hausmusik - I like its urbane nonchalance.
Mandryka
2022-01-02 16:43:57 UTC
Hausmusik play Brahms like he’s an English gentleman!
Andrew Clarke
2022-01-03 07:36:42 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Hausmusik play Brahms like he’s an English gentleman!
These days we have the inestimable advantage of being able to go to the websites of our online vendors and listen to the examples provided, and I can now assure you that if you want to hear these fine works as if played by Hanoverian princes, listen to the Mandelring Quartet + 2 recorded at the Leibniz Saal in the Hannover Congress Centrum. Do not bother with The Guardian reviewer's observations about stately tempi and frustrated passions; tempi are light and bright, and the recording lucid. Best Brahms you'll hear in a monad of Sundays.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Mandryka
2022-01-03 12:11:57 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by Mandryka
Hausmusik play Brahms like he’s an English gentleman!
These days we have the inestimable advantage of being able to go to the websites of our online vendors and listen to the examples provided, and I can now assure you that if you want to hear these fine works as if played by Hanoverian princes, listen to the Mandelring Quartet + 2 recorded at the Leibniz Saal in the Hannover Congress Centrum. Do not bother with The Guardian reviewer's observations about stately tempi and frustrated passions; tempi are light and bright, and the recording lucid. Best Brahms you'll hear in a monad of Sundays.
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Indeed, Hanoverian princes. Nice find.

Lawrence Kart
2022-01-02 17:19:48 UTC
The only one I've ever heard is with Renaud and Gautier Capuçon, Koncz, Caussé, Chilemme and Clemens Hagen, on this CD
https://www.discogs.com/release/10385962-Brahms-Renaud-Capu%C3%A7on-Christoph-Koncz-G%C3%A9rard-Causs%C3%A9-Marie-Chilemme-Gautier-Capu%C3%A7on-Clemens-Hagen
It's such an amazing piece of music. I want to get to know it better.
Agreed. Lovely stuff.
Both sextets were recorded by Yehudi Menuhin (violin), Robert Masters (violin), Ernst Wallfisch (viola), Cecil Aronowitz (viola), Derek Simpson (cello), Maurice Gendron (cello) now on Warner Classics and available as a download from Presto Classical. It's mellow.
It's also the "filler" on Isabelle Faust's recording of the Brahms Violin Concerto with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra: I think the other five musicians are orchestra members ( Julia-Maria Kretz (violins), Stefan Fehlandt, Pauline Sachse (violas) & Christoph Richter & Xenia Jankovic (cellos).
Bartok Quartet w/ Ede Banda, Gyorgy Konrad (from Hungaraton LP box set with Quartets and Quintets).
The LP does sound better but these days you can buy the digital release of the Bartok Qtt et al from Presto.
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/7973054--brahms-chamber-music-for-strings
BTW, Mr Kart, I recently read your incisive notes to the Filles de Killimanjaro (Miles Davis) reissue.
SE.
Thanks Steve. They were great fun to write.