Live...
Add Reply
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 15:23:45 UTC
Ave, music-loving friends...
Do you remember the three most beautiful concerts you attended ?...

For me:

- The Ring de Boulez/Chéreau in 1980...(thanks to my grandfather, who
went to Bayreuth every year for 60 years!).
- Boehm in Stockhom in 1966...Beethoven's 7th symphony and Schubert's
"The Great"...
- Markevitch/Arrau (sorry for dk!) at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées
(Paris), with an unforgettable second Brahms concerto...
dk
2021-01-06 20:22:45 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, music-loving friends...
Do you remember the three most beautiful concerts you attended ?...
- The Ring de Boulez/Chéreau in 1980...(thanks to my grandfather, who
went to Bayreuth every year for 60 years!).
- Boehm in Stockhom in 1966...Beethoven's 7th symphony and Schubert's
"The Great"...
- Markevitch/Arrau (sorry for dk!) at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées
(Paris), with an unforgettable second Brahms concerto...
Does "attend" include watching or listening to live TV or radio broadcasts?

dk
MELMOTH
2021-01-06 21:26:53 UTC
Does "attend" include watching or listening to live TV or radio broadcasts?
Be present at the concert!...
dk
2021-01-06 21:53:04 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Post by dk
Does "attend" include watching or listening to live TV or radio broadcasts?
Be present at the concert!...
Boy, this does not make it much easier!

1) Sviatoslav Richter performing the Strauss Burleske for
the first time in his career, and playing the entire work
again as an encore! A small video clip from that
concert may be seen on YT:

2) Celibidache conducting En Saga:

Never heard anyone get the sounds he managed to
get out of the strings!

3) Barbirolli conducting Mahler's Fifth. I can't find a
link to that performance, however this is close:

Arguably the finest Mahler 5th ever, and quite
possibly the finest performance of any Mahler
symphony ever recorded by anyone.

4) Klemperer conducting Mahler's Second:

5) Yamandu Costa live in San Francisco:

6) Hiromi Uehara live in San Francisco 2017

I could probably go on and on and on ......

dk
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-01-07 01:00:28 UTC
http://youtu.be/P0lcLm2UY5c
One excellent live concert I attended was John Williams at Sydney Opera House (early 80s) - stunning articulation. However my prized solo guitar CDs involve Paco de Lucia. For a flamenco based and Spanish classical guitarist they come non finer than Paco de Lucia, and he is engraved automatically in any mobile phone I carry.

I'll give Costa some attention. Thx.

2021-01-07 01:59:41 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by dk
http://youtu.be/P0lcLm2UY5c
One excellent live concert I attended was John Williams at Sydney Opera House
(early 80s) - stunning articulation. However my prized solo guitar CDs involve
Paco de Lucia. For a flamenco based and Spanish classical guitarist they come
non finer than Paco de Lucia, and he is engraved automatically in any mobile
phone I carry.
No question at all Paco de Lucia towered above everyone else in Flamenco!
Yamandu Costa plays in a different space. I cherish them both.

I didn't mention any of the other great jazz musicians I was so blessed
to hear in live concerts -- Blakey, Brubeck, Evans, Lewis, Monk, Peterson,
Powell -- as there were so many. A special distinction goes however to
Erroll Garner, who left me speechless and in complete disbelief at what
he could do on a piano!

2021-01-07 14:10:28 UTC
Has to be the "Russians" debut concerts in London. Richter, Oistrakh, Shostakovich, Rozhdestvensly, Rostropovich.

Richter's Prokofiev recital had 4 encores. His Chopin/Debussy recital had 6 encores and everyone left their seats and stormed the stage.

Rostropovich played Shostakovich's Cello Concerto 1. The first horn totally missed his first fortissimo entry, and this in front of Shostakovich, Britten, Pears, Hindemith and a lot of other famous guys in the same box. I bet he still wakes up in the night thinking about it if he's still around.
Owen
2021-01-07 19:16:55 UTC
1) Tennstedt at Tanglewood in the mid 1970's. Beethoven's 3rd. I had
bought lawn tickets expecting a ho-hum concert by some probably hack who
nobody had heard from before. Had to rush up to the shed and just gawk,
it was that exciting.

2) Van Cliburn at Providence RI, same era. Was late on stage, fiddled
with the bench, went back, technicial came out and fiddled with bench,
He came out and fiddled some more, finally sat down and played Chopin's
funeral march sonata. I had brought my parents and that became my Dad's
favorite classical music piece.

3) Horowitz, same era, Symphony Hall, Boston. Saw him quite a few times
into the 80's as well. Always had that same tension in the hall.

4) Rubenstein, early 1970's, Symphony Hall. All Chopin concert. Played
it exactly to the nuance that he played it on his recordings. Couldn't
detect a whiff of difference.

5) Bavouzet, 2000's. New Bedford, MA. Lightning rendition of the Prok
3rd concerto. Spectacular.

2021-01-08 01:56:25 UTC
Kubelik, BRSO et al, Mahler 8, 1970 Herkulessaal Munich, Summer 1970

Kertesz, Chicago Symphony, Dvorak 6, 1972?, Ravinia

Haitink, RCO, Bruckner 8, 4/7/13

Emerson SQ, Beethoven, Op. 59/3, '80s, Chamber Music NW
Graham
2021-01-08 02:26:04 UTC
Kubelik, BRSO et al, Mahler 8, 1970 Herkulessaal Munich, Summer 1970
Kertesz, Chicago Symphony, Dvorak 6, 1972?, Ravinia
Haitink, RCO, Bruckner 8, 4/7/13
Emerson SQ, Beethoven, Op. 59/3, '80s, Chamber Music NW
One regret I have is not hanging onto the programs of the many concerts and
recitals I attended in the 60s and 70s.

A Claudiu

JohnGavin
2021-01-07 23:10:31 UTC
http://youtu.be/lvDQfEOAqwI
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, music-loving friends...
Do you remember the three most beautiful concerts you attended ?...
- The Ring de Boulez/Chéreau in 1980...(thanks to my grandfather, who
went to Bayreuth every year for 60 years!).
- Boehm in Stockhom in 1966...Beethoven's 7th symphony and Schubert's
"The Great"...
- Markevitch/Arrau (sorry for dk!) at the Théâtre des Champs-Élysées
(Paris), with an unforgettable second Brahms concerto...
1. Michelangeli at Carnegie Hall. I was mesmerized. Even his best recordings don’t fully capture the power of his live playing. As a 15 year old I couldn’t believe anyone could play the piano as well as he did that night.

2. Rafael Puyana at Hunter College. Those were the days when he was playing a Pleyel harpsichord. He was magnificent from the first note to the last.

3. Alicia De Larrocha - 3 recitals of Spanish music at Hunter College. (circa 1968). The pianist, repertoire and year says it all.
number_six
2021-01-07 23:59:32 UTC
Post by MELMOTH
Ave, music-loving friends...
Do you remember the three most beautiful concerts you attended ?...
The Ramans may do everything in threes, but disregarding that limit --

Re-posting from a 2016 thread --

the time I saw Carl Stone
the time I saw a really cute girl sing I Want to Be a Prima Donna Donna Donna
the time I saw the Bulgarian women team with the Tuvan men
the time I saw Igor Kipnis practicing
the time I saw Willem Breuker
the time I saw the Fibonaccis
the time I saw Roscoe Lee Browne recite Langston Hughes
the time I saw Reich's The Desert Music
the time I saw Paolo Conte

And adding to that list --

Giulini rehearsing Tchaikovsky Pathetique
Revueltas - Noche de los Mayas - think it was Salonen