Rachmaninoff 4th Concerto
2019-09-28 20:36:23 UTC
On Sat, 25 May 2002 22:30:44 +0200, Patachon
Any recommendations for a recording of Rach's 4th piano concerto ?
There are a couple out there that use the original version. They make
a musical 'sense' that the final version doesn't. Unfortunately they
aren't all that well performed. I think an 'Apollonian' like
(wishfully) Moravec - and the CPO - could open some ears to this work.
bl
According to this recent article:

- It is heart-wrenching and painful: a view of the lonely, exiled composer backstage under the harsh lights of his dressing room, rather than bathed in the footlights of the auditorium. It is the most ‘modern-sounding’ of his works, the least played, the least known, the least loved — except for a few who, like me, love it the most. The final 1941 version, tight as a drum, is a unique, original, 20th-century masterpiece.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2019/09/everything-you-always-wanted-to-know-about-classical-music-but-were-afraid-to-ask/
g***@gmail.com
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/nNr8DeotIHE
Craig Wallace
2019-10-13 19:20:06 UTC
On Sun, 26 May 2002 02:13:49 +0200, Patachon
Unfortunately they
aren't all that well performed. I think an 'Apollonian' like
(wishfully) Moravec - and the CPO - could open some ears to this work.
Do you have the refecence ?
I think you misunderstand. Just wishful thinking.
(For the original version, I have the Ghidin recording with V.
Ashekenazy).
Ghindin, isn't it? That's one of them. I suppose it isn't bad, but it
isn't good either.
bl
Has nobody referred to Buketoff and Iceland Sym Orch's premiere on CD recording of the original edn of Cto 4. Coupled with Monna Vanna Act 1?
francis
2019-10-13 23:31:22 UTC
The Robert Black/Igor Buketoff Iceland recording is of the SECOND of three version--the first published version from 1928--considerably shortened from the original played by Ghindin,
c***@gmail.com
2019-10-14 00:06:59 UTC
William Black, not Robert.
francis
2019-10-14 00:38:30 UTC
Yes..William, correcting an error I repeated in my lengthier response. Didn't there used to be a way to edit posts?
francis
2019-10-14 00:36:04 UTC
Post by Craig Wallace
Has nobody referred to Buketoff and Iceland Sym Orch's premiere on CD recording of the original edn of Cto 4. Coupled with Monna Vanna Act 1?
The Robert Black/Igor Buketoff performance is of the SECOND (of three) versions of the 4th, ie the first published version, revised mainly by cuts from the original 1926 version by the composer in 1928 and played by him four times in Europe in 1929, retiring the work from his repertory until his thorough revision in 1941-42 prior to his recording with Ormandy. The Second version was played in the 1930s by at least two other pianists, Henrietta Schumann (with the Radio City Music Hall orchestra under Erno Rapee in 1939--a recording of the broadcast is in the International Piano Archives collection at UMd); and Gitta Gradova with Stock and the Chicago Symphony. In more modern times (early 1970s) this version was played at Frank Cooper's great, late and much missed Butler University Romantic Music Festival by Gunnar Johansson--famous especially because the pianist suffered a heart attack during the second movement, yet finished the piece in fine style.

The original version, recorded by Ghindin and Ashkenazy, was played only four times in 1927--all by the composer and the Philadelphia Orchestra under Stokowski--twice in Philadelphia and once each in Baltimore and Washington. There are also commercial recordings of the 1926 original version by Egveni Sudbin and the North Carolina Symphony and by Alain Lefevre--who played both the original and final versions. My preference is for Sudbin's, but from him I prefer a live concert performance streamed by the BBC under Ivan Volkov. One other pianist plays the original version, at least she did one at the Round Top Festival in Texas in 2011: Eteri Andjaparidze (known previously for a very fine CD of Zev Confrey pieces for NAXOS0. A recording of the performance can be purchased from Round Top for 20 bucks, but it is also on youtube (and I believe it is worth attention):

Lastly, I should add that awhile back a live performance by Ghindin circulated on one of the classical file sharing sites which I thought more persuasive than his session recording with Ashkenazy.