Zubin Mehta: His Best and Worst?
2018-04-29 18:11:48 UTC
In his early years, I think Mehta was a promising conductor. There are a
number of powerful performances in his past, especially in his VPO and
Los Angeles PO years. Recently I listened his Mahler Second and Third,
Holst Planets, and Mussorgsky Pictures and I'm surprised there's a big
difference with his later recordings. It seems something declined about
his understanding of music...Alas, Many of his early recordings waiting
for reissue...
Any opinions about Mehta recordings?
His 1st "Planets" recording was included in this list of best audiophile recordings:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/50-albums-audiophiles
Ed Presson
2018-04-29 22:36:27 UTC
In his early years, I think Mehta was a promising conductor. There are a
number of powerful performances in his past, especially in his VPO and
Los Angeles PO years. Recently I listened his Mahler Second and Third,
Holst Planets, and Mussorgsky Pictures and I'm surprised there's a big
difference with his later recordings. It seems something declined about
his understanding of music...Alas, Many of his early recordings waiting
for reissue...
Any opinions about Mehta recordings?
https://www.whathifi.com/features/50-albums-audiophiles
I doubt that Mehta's understanding of music declined; to my ears later Mehta
recordings just sound disinterested--he no longer sounds excited by any
aspect of the music. A subjective reaction this, I realize. At least, he
is
not excited by the same aspects of the music as I.

Ed Presson
g***@gmail.com
2018-05-01 08:25:19 UTC
In his early years, I think Mehta was a promising conductor. There are a
number of powerful performances in his past, especially in his VPO and
Los Angeles PO years. Recently I listened his Mahler Second and Third,
Holst Planets, and Mussorgsky Pictures and I'm surprised there's a big
difference with his later recordings. It seems something declined about
his understanding of music...Alas, Many of his early recordings waiting
for reissue...
Any opinions about Mehta recordings?
https://www.whathifi.com/features/50-albums-audiophiles
That recording was ranked #11 on this list:

https://petersplanets.wordpress.com/
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-18 05:48:06 UTC
In his early years, I think Mehta was a promising conductor. There are a
number of powerful performances in his past, especially in his VPO and
Los Angeles PO years. Recently I listened his Mahler Second and Third,
Holst Planets, and Mussorgsky Pictures and I'm surprised there's a big
difference with his later recordings. It seems something declined about
his understanding of music...Alas, Many of his early recordings waiting
for reissue...
Any opinions about Mehta recordings?
(Recent Youtube upload):

Review: Zubin Mehta's Estimable LA Legacy