Mozart Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major (K467)
Matthew Silverstein
2009-06-09 18:17:18 UTC
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.

Thanks!

Matty
Dave Cook
2009-06-09 18:34:59 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
The Matthias Kirschnereit set on Arte Nova has consistently excellent
piano playing and accompaniment. It's been a pleasure to work my way
through the box. On modern instruments.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Concertos-Box-Set/dp/B000VZAVUI

Dave Cook
Greg Arkadin
Anderszewski/Sinfonia Varsovia
wkasimer
2009-06-09 18:59:50 UTC
Post by Greg Arkadin
Kovacevich/Davis
Unfortunately, OOP, but probably findable. Ditto for Annie Fischer.

I also endorse the Kirschnereit set on Arte Nova.

Bill
Greg Arkadin
Check MDT.
wkasimer
2009-06-09 19:13:03 UTC
Post by Greg Arkadin
Post by Greg Arkadin
Kovacevich/Davis
Unfortunately, OOP, but probably findable.
Check MDT.
Thanks. I didn't know that it had been reissued...

Bill
Tom Deacon
2009-06-09 20:18:02 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Greg Arkadin
Kovacevich/Davis
Unfortunately, OOP, but probably findable. Ditto for Annie Fischer.
I also endorse the Kirschnereit set on Arte Nova.
Bill
The only one to REALLY get the slow movement right is Christian Zacharias.

TD
Bob Harper
2009-06-10 00:49:09 UTC
Post by Dave Cook
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
The Matthias Kirschnereit set on Arte Nova has consistently excellent
piano playing and accompaniment. It's been a pleasure to work my way
through the box. On modern instruments.
http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Piano-Concertos-Box-Set/dp/B000VZAVUI
Dave Cook
Agreed. An unmissable bargain. Performances that just sound 'right'.

Bob Harper
Stan Punzel
2009-06-09 18:45:11 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Thanks!
Matty
Anda DG
Casadesus/Szell Sony

Stan Punzel
Thomas Wood

Stan Punzel
JG
2009-06-24 06:31:19 UTC
My favorite, which I knew because it was my dad's favorite performance
of his favorite piece so I'd hear it often, was by Folmer Jensen, the
orchestra's keyboard player, with Danish Radio Orchestra (or maybe
another Danish orch) under Mogens Woldike -- Haydn Society in the early
50s, and I've never seen it since. It was recorded in a hall with a lot
of echo, and he used the echo in one of his little arpeggio
introductions.

In article <pbHXl.25576$***@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>, woodtj1685
@sbcglobal.net says...
Stan Punzel
Paul Goldstein
2009-06-09 19:01:09 UTC
In article <1lo8qh8bf6klb$.ub4k4u7idu65$***@40tude.net>, Matthew Silverstein
says...
It's one of Schnabel's best recordings IMO.
Matthew B. Tepper
2009-06-09 19:44:27 UTC
Silverstein says...
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a
complete set.
It's one of Schnabel's best recordings IMO.
I agree, although my favorite of Schnabel's Mozart concerto recordings
(including the live ones) is his K. 459.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Tom Deacon

TD
patterbear
2009-06-09 19:05:40 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Thanks!
Matty
Zacharrias/Zinman ...box or seperate I believe. Swift second
movement,which to my ears is the correct approach. Ymmv. Todd
Tom Deacon

TD
Andrej Kluge
2009-06-09 19:17:08 UTC
Hi,
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a
complete set.
My favorite by a wide margin: Howard Shelley / City of London Sinfonia

Ciao
AK
EM
2009-06-09 19:44:53 UTC
Post by Andrej Kluge
My favorite by a wide margin: Howard Shelley / City of London Sinfonia
I agree that this is a very fine (but rarely mentioned) performance.

EM
Simon Roberts
2009-06-09 20:07:49 UTC
In article <1lo8qh8bf6klb$.ub4k4u7idu65$***@40tude.net>, Matthew Silverstein
says...
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Kovacevich/Davis/Philips.

Simon
WQGT447
2009-06-09 20:24:12 UTC
Post by Paul Goldstein
says...
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Kovacevich/Davis/Philips.
Simon
Agreed, a very good performance and easy to return to again and again.

Bruce
Matthew B. Tepper
2009-06-10 00:25:12 UTC
WQGT447 <***@yahoo.com> appears to have caused the following letters to
be typed in news:295bd3cc-19ad-4d91-a0f4-bfb18cc613a1
Post by WQGT447
Silverstein says...
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a
complete set.
Kovacevich/Davis/Philips.
Agreed, a very good performance and easy to return to again and again.
I'll go with that as a first choice among stereo recordings.
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
Benjo Maso
2009-06-09 21:42:24 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
My favorite: Gulda/Abbado, the most dramatic I know.

Benjo Maso
Greg
2009-06-10 01:04:24 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Thanks!
Matty
My long-time favorite has been Kovacevich/Davis, but the slow Andante
has always bothered me. I'm with Tom and Todd in believing that this
movement sounds much better when played on the faster side. Zacharias/
Zinman is useful here, but I don't think the outer movements can hold
a candle to Kovacevich/Davis or a few others.

Which brings me to a recent discovery that just might be the long-
awaited holy grail for me - Vladar/Harmonia Mundi. Here we have an
Andante which is similarly paced to Zacharias (actually a few seconds
faster), but with orchestral accompaniment that strikes me as being in
a completely different class than Zinman provides. Vladar himself is
also very good, with interesting ornaments and apt phrasing. Has
anyone else heard this? I don't recall seeing anyone here (or
elsewhere, for that matter) mention it.

Greg
Rugby
Greg
patterbear
2009-06-10 02:08:19 UTC
Post by Greg
[...]
I did not know of the Vladar/Harmonia Mundi-but I'm sure going to
check it out! Thanks Greg! Todd
Simon Roberts
2009-06-10 02:41:56 UTC
In article <4cd85490-468e-4c82-a970-***@s16g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>,
Greg says...
Post by Greg
[...]
I like it quite a lot (the accompanying 24 as well), but I don't think he quite
reaches Kovacevich's level of spontaneity/vitality/imagination.

Simon
Greg
2009-06-10 02:53:42 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
Greg says...
Post by Greg
[...]
I should have known you would have heard it. One of these days I'll
come up with something you haven't heard...

I agree Kovacevich himself is a bit better, but then you have to like
his droopy Andante, which has never quite done it for me. I don't
think anyone is quite as good in the outer movements, though. Vladar
is the first one I've heard who comes close enough to Kovacevich/Davis
in i and iii while handling ii the way I think it should go.

Greg
Tom Deacon
2009-06-10 09:26:51 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
Greg says...
Post by Greg
[...]
Then you fail to deal with the real problem here, and that is the slow
movement. Kovacevich follows the Anda lead here. He's wrong, despite
fine outer movements.

TD
Simon Roberts
2009-06-10 13:49:17 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by Simon Roberts
I like it quite a lot (the accompanying 24 as well), but I don't think he quite
reaches Kovacevich's level of spontaneity/vitality/imagination.
Simon
Then you fail to deal with the real problem here, and that is the slow
movement. Kovacevich follows the Anda lead here. He's wrong, despite
fine outer movements.
You assume there's a "problem" that needs to be "dealt with." I think the
movement works just fine either way (doesn't bother me if Kovacevich follows
Anda's "lead" - K is a far better Mozart pianist). Should I ever feel the need
for a fast performance, I'll play Vladar or Zacharias, both of which I own and
enjoy. (When I want something really weird, I'll play Gulda/Swarowsky, while
wishing a better conductor (or none at all) were involved.)

Simon
Tom Deacon
2009-06-10 15:56:54 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by Simon Roberts
I like it quite a lot (the accompanying 24 as well), but I don't think he quite
reaches Kovacevich's level of spontaneity/vitality/imagination.
Simon
Then you fail to deal with the real problem here, and that is the slow
movement. Kovacevich follows the Anda lead here. He's wrong, despite
fine outer movements.
You assume there's a "problem" that needs to be "dealt with." I think the
movement works just fine either way (doesn't bother me if Kovacevich follows
Anda's "lead" - K is a far better Mozart pianist). Should I ever feel the need
for a fast performance, I'll play Vladar or Zacharias, both of which I own and
enjoy. (When I want something really weird, I'll play Gulda/Swarowsky, while
wishing a better conductor (or none at all) were involved.)
Simon
Problem, perhaps, is not the right word.

Andante is a relative tempo, but you do, at least have to be able to
walk to the music. Just try to do that with a slow tempo. You'll find
yourself falling over trying to sustain the pace.

TD
h***@yahoo.com
Depends on the amount of Canadian plonko you've been drinking.
Tom Deacon
2009-06-10 21:51:21 UTC
Post by h***@yahoo.com
Post by Tom Deacon
Andante is a relative tempo, but you do, at least have to be able to
walk to the music. Just try to do that with a slow tempo. You'll find
yourself falling over trying to sustain the pace.
TD
Depends on the amount of Canadian plonko you've been drinking.
You must be joking.

Plonko never crosses my lips. Ever.

TD
Rugby
2009-06-11 00:26:12 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
Plonko never crosses my lips. Ever.
Pity,Tom. An evening with some California or Chilean swill, and
Rubinstein/Wallenstein's K.467, is just the sort of irreverance Mozart
would have approved. A $50 Crus Bourgeois spoils the whole affect.

Rugby, happy to follow Arthur here.
Norman M. Schwartz
2009-06-10 16:18:52 UTC
Post by Tom Deacon
Post by Paul Goldstein
In article
Greg says...
On Jun 9, 2:17=A0pm, Matthew Silverstein
[...]
HIP:
Lubin/Mozartean Players: Andante, 6:16
Bilson/Gardiner/Eng.Bar.Sol.: Andante 6:09
TD
Simon Roberts
2009-06-10 19:46:26 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Lubin/Mozartean Players: Andante, 6:16
Bilson/Gardiner/Eng.Bar.Sol.: Andante 6:09
Vladar: 5:08!

Simon
Norman M. Schwartz
2009-06-10 22:14:35 UTC
Post by Simon Roberts
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Lubin/Mozartean Players: Andante, 6:16
Bilson/Gardiner/Eng.Bar.Sol.: Andante 6:09
Vladar: 5:08!
Thanks Simon, I didn't catch that timing, if it was included in a previous
post.
Norman
Simon
jrsnfld
2009-06-10 04:13:54 UTC
Post by Greg
[...]
Buchbinder (on Profil) is not too slow in the Andante, IMHO, but he's
not remarkably fast either. A good, fresh reading that is ultimately
not going to shake anyone one way or another.

--Jeff
Tom Deacon
2009-06-10 09:19:17 UTC
Post by Greg
[...]
It's very good. Indeed, Vladar is a fine pianist. Somehow, however, I
still prefer the rather extravagant "statement" made by Zacharias.

TD
Norman M. Schwartz
2009-06-10 15:46:17 UTC
Post by Greg
Which brings me to a recent discovery that just might be the long-
awaited holy grail for me - Vladar/Harmonia Mundi.
Clips appear to present a HIP-ish orchestra and a modern piano. I this so?
Greg
Simon Roberts
2009-06-10 19:45:42 UTC
Post by Norman M. Schwartz
Post by Greg
Which brings me to a recent discovery that just might be the long-
awaited holy grail for me - Vladar/Harmonia Mundi.
Clips appear to present a HIP-ish orchestra and a modern piano. I this so?
There are HIP influences in the orchestral playing, both phrasing (e.g. swelled
sustained string notes) and sonority (e.g. minimal vibrato, hard timpani
sticks), and the orchestra sounds as though it's quite small; it makes a very
graceful, light, airy, refined sound (which isn't to say they wimp out in the
loud passages; they don't - including the timpanist). The piano is certainly
modern; but, unlike most pianists using one, Vladar often plays along with the
orchestra (albeit very discreetly). First rate recorded sound, as one might
expect from HM.

Simon
Simon Roberts

Simon
Rugby
2009-06-10 02:04:58 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
Szell/Casadesus, Rubinstein/Wallenstein is special, Lipatti/Karajan.

Rugby
Tom Deacon
2009-06-10 09:23:22 UTC
Post by Rugby
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
Szell/Casadesus, Rubinstein/Wallenstein is special, Lipatti/Karajan.
Rugby
Very mainstream.

I thought Iowans were leaders, not followers.

TD
g***@gmail.com
2016-07-13 00:00:07 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Thanks!
Matty
Recent list of recommended recordings:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm
dk
2016-07-13 02:45:53 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available
separately or only in a complete set.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm
Predictable and politically correct.
Not to mention 7 years late.

2016-07-13 03:11:12 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available
separately or only in a complete set.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm
Predictable and politically correct.
Not to mention 7 years late.
No Argerich, Rubinstein, De Larrocha, Gilels, Lupu,
Casadesus, Lipatti, Schnabel, Fischer, Gieseking or
YES! Quite a list.

The Music Web should be renamed the Anti-Music Web!

frankly this list is equally predictable and politically correct.
dk
2016-07-13 03:42:22 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available
separately or only in a complete set.
http://www.musicweb-international.com/mwi-recommends.htm
Predictable and politically correct.
Not to mention 7 years late.
No Argerich, Rubinstein, De Larrocha, Gilels, Lupu,
Casadesus, Lipatti, Schnabel, Fischer, Gieseking or
YES! Quite a list.
The Music Web should be renamed the Anti-Music Web!
Which cadenza does Gieseking play?

2018-10-04 20:14:51 UTC
Post by Matthew Silverstein
I'd love some recommendations, available separately or only in a complete
set.
Thanks!
Matty
(Recent Youtube upload):

Mozart - Piano concerto n°21 K.467 - Schnabel / LSO / Sargent
s***@hotmail.com
2018-10-05 17:18:58 UTC
I listened to the mentioned Folmer Jensen and Vladar (2nd movement) on Spotify. Didn’t really care for either: Jensen not really that special or interesting. Vladar interesting, but ultimately too fast. I remain a fan of Kovacevich and Perahia (both recordings, but I put on the second more often) - and several others, some mentioned above, are worth listening to. And then there is Kempff/Klee for which I have a soft spot. Anyone else here have an opinion on that particular recording?

Soeren
Frank Berger
2018-10-05 17:30:18 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
I listened to the mentioned Folmer Jensen and Vladar (2nd movement) on Spotify. Didn’t really care for either: Jensen not really that special or interesting. Vladar interesting, but ultimately too fast. I remain a fan of Kovacevich and Perahia (both recordings, but I put on the second more often) - and several others, some mentioned above, are worth listening to. And then there is Kempff/Klee for which I have a soft spot. Anyone else here have an opinion on that particular recording?
Soeren
If you're going to refer to information "above," you really ought to
include it in your post. As it is, if I want to know what you're
referring to, I have go hunt for it.
s***@hotmail.com
2018-10-05 17:53:21 UTC
Well, either you will want to go hunting - or not. Sometimes reading old threads is worth your time, at other times it’s not. As you probably can gather my time could probably have been better spent - but now I know Folmer Jensen and Stefan Vladars accounts of parts of Mozart’s K 467. I would have you listen to Kempff.

Soeren
Frank Berger
2018-10-05 19:45:19 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
Well, either you will want to go hunting - or not. Sometimes reading old threads is worth your time, at other times it’s not. As you probably can gather my time could probably have been better spent - but now I know Folmer Jensen and Stefan Vladars accounts of parts of Mozart’s K 467. I would have you listen to Kempff.
Soeren
Have you missed my point? It's common courtesy to quote at least some
of what you are referring to. It's so standard, I can't believe you
could defend not doing so.
s***@hotmail.com
2018-10-05 20:53:18 UTC
I need to defend a post? No kidding? Well, I suppose it could be argued that the courteous thing to do when joining the conversation that this thread represents would be not to demand to be explained what it is about but to start by finding out that before writing something. It could also be argued that rather than asking someone whether they have missed your point you should ask if you in fact is the one who has missed the point.

In any case it’s just a reply to an old thread and you are welcome to just ignore it if you don’t care to read it like you don’t care to read the rest of the thread.

Soeren
Frank Berger
2018-10-05 21:26:36 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
I need to defend a post? No kidding? Well, I suppose it could be argued that the courteous thing to do when joining the conversation that this thread represents would be not to demand to be explained what it is about but to start by finding out that before writing something. It could also be argued that rather than asking someone whether they have missed your point you should ask if you in fact is the one who has missed the point.
In any case it’s just a reply to an old thread and you are welcome to just ignore it if you don’t care to read it like you don’t care to read the rest of the thread.
Soeren
Now you have refused even to acknowledge my point. You can be sure that
I will be avoiding any future posts of yours. You won't mind, I'm sure.
Gerard
2018-10-06 10:16:08 UTC
Post by s***@hotmail.com
I listened to the mentioned Folmer Jensen and Vladar (2nd movement) on Spotify. Didn’t really care for either: Jensen not really that special or interesting. Vladar interesting, but ultimately too fast. I remain a fan of Kovacevich and Perahia (both recordings, but I put on the second more often) - and several others, some mentioned above, are worth listening to. And then there is Kempff/Klee for which I have a soft spot. Anyone else here have an opinion on that particular recording?
Soeren
If you're going to refer to information "above," you really ought to
include it in your post. As it is, if I want to know what you're
referring to, I have go hunt for it.
That's because of your "killfile".
You've caused your own problem yourself.
Frank Berger
It has nothing to do with my killfile.
Gerard
2018-10-07 10:12:49 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
I listened to the mentioned Folmer Jensen and Vladar (2nd movement) on Spotify. Didn’t really care for either: Jensen not really that special or interesting. Vladar interesting, but ultimately too fast. I remain a fan of Kovacevich and Perahia (both recordings, but I put on the second more often) - and several others, some mentioned above, are worth listening to. And then there is Kempff/Klee for which I have a soft spot. Anyone else here have an opinion on that particular recording?
Soeren
If you're going to refer to information "above," you really ought to
include it in your post. As it is, if I want to know what you're
referring to, I have go hunt for it.
That's because of your "killfile".
You've caused your own problem yourself.
It has nothing to do with my killfile.
Yes, it has. Because of your killfile you don't see the post Soeren was replying yo.
Funny thing is that you sometimes complain that posts by your killfiled posters yet become visible to you when people are quoting those killfiled posters. Now you complain because someone did what you desired: NOT quoting a killfiled poster.
Herman
2018-10-07 10:56:18 UTC
No bergering please
Frank Berger
2018-10-07 12:03:46 UTC
No bergering please
I've given you an excuse to badger me. Have at it, asshole.
Herman
2018-10-07 16:28:52 UTC
Lighten up, please, I was actually talking to Gerard.
Frank Berger
2018-10-07 17:50:46 UTC
No bergering please
I've given you an excuse to badger me. Have at it, asshole.
Lighten up, please, I was actually talking to Gerard.
Don't tell someone you've just dissed to lighten up. Doesn't matter who
you said it to.
Frank Berger
2018-10-07 12:03:08 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
[...]
You're simply wrong. Soeren's post itself contained no quoted material.
Killfiling ggggg has nothing to do with that.
Gerard
2018-10-07 15:23:26 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
[...]
That's what I wrote: Soeren did NOT quote ggggg. So you should be happy.
But because ggggg is in your killfile, you could not simply see the post Soeren was replying at. And there you started complaining and requiring Soeren to quote.
So your killfile has everything to do with it.
Frank Berger
2018-10-07 15:41:53 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
[...]
You're being particularly stupid on this. My point is that one SHOULD
include relevant material (i.e. quote) to provide context for what you
write. Almost all of us do it. It's simple courtesy. Then you don't
have to go looking for the information.
Gerard
2018-10-07 18:22:05 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
[...]
You ignore my point completely. And you obviously don't know anything about simple courtesy.
But that's all old news.
Frank Berger
2018-10-07 20:49:12 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Gerard
Post by Frank Berger
Post by s***@hotmail.com
[...]
I'm ignoring nothing. You are assuming something (incorrectly) about
how I "see" the posts. Perhaps you think I use google groups. I don't
(except one in a while). If ggggg was not in my killfile, I would have
seen his post and known that Soeren was responding. But Soeren's post
still didn't have any reference to what ggggg said so I would have had
to open ggggg's post to see what Soeren was referring to. Making me do
that is inconsiderate and contrary to good Usenet practice. I simple
pointed that out to Soren, in a nice way and received hostility from
him, Herman you. You can all go fuck yourselves.
Gerard
Gosh ... and this guy was talking about "courtesy".
Herman
2018-10-08 05:55:05 UTC
Apparently a bad day...