LATEST FROM CLASSIC SELECT
2018-10-06 18:59:00 UTC
October 6, 2018

At last, this is the email I've been waiting to send everyone.

We have received confirmation that our order to fill the remainder of the outstanding orders for the "George Szell: Complete Columbia Album Collection" boxed set has arrived at our distribution warehouse.

We anticipate beginning to send email confirmations to customers on Wednesday of next week. The calendar is a bit of our enemy here - Monday is a USPS holiday, and our distribution warehouse is also closed for the holiday, so final unpacking and the start of our shipments won't begin until late Tuesday at the earliest.

Since an unhappy customer took to an internet group to discuss how they received their Szell box damaged (and using their very limited experience with us to draw a larger conclusion about our store in general...but when all the boxes are shipped I'll be blogging about blogging), we want to spend a moment discussing how these boxes have been shipped, and how they will be shipped.

In the past for a boxed set of this size, labels had created mailing-ready packages. Our first shipment of the Szell boxes did not include any packages shipped in mailing-ready containers.

So here are our guidelines:

1. All boxes will be sent via USPS Media Mail. The USPS can take up to 9 business days to deliver the item via Media Mail, but in our experience it is usually less than 5 business days within the continental United States.
2. All boxes will be shipped in 12" x 12" x 12" cardboard boxes, which will be industrial strength 1/4" thickness to avoid any kind of damage en route.
3. Each box will be packed inside with brown packing paper, or in some cases, wrapped in air pillows. The actual Szell box itself will be wrapped in paper, and may be taped to the bottom of the box to try and eliminate any additional bouncing around that might damage the corners.
4. If you ordered additional items at the time, you should have received those items. If not, we will be sending those items separately.
5. As always, you will be receiving an email when the item leaves our warehouse, and again when the item leaves your local post office on the day of delivery, and again when the item arrives at your location. If you have given us a cell phone number, you will receive a text with this information.

Remember, we have a coupon for all purchasers of the Szell box. Just use the coupon code SZELL50 to receive a discount of 50% off any order between now and when your box ships (which looks to be just a few days).

I also wanted to add my thanks for your patience during the weeks we have spent waiting for these boxes to arrive. We will do our best to insure that this great music arrives at your home as soon as possible, and in the best condition possible.

Best
Greg Barbero
ClassicSelect

ClassicSelect | 20 Columbus Avenue, Glen Ridge, NJ 07028

Update Profile | About our service provider

Sent by ***@classicselect.com in collaboration with

Try it free today
Mark Zimmer
Good to get the reassurance, and the 50% coupon netted me 3 big boxes (2 Boulez and 1 Nilsson) for under $150. So overall I have to say I'm happy with how ClassicSelect has handled this debacle, which was hardly Greg's fault.
r***@verizon.net
2018-10-08 18:03:42 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Can I get a show of hands from those who have received this set, from whatever source? My importcds. com order was cancelled several weeks after I placed it. I then ordered from HB Direct and it's been back-ordered for over a month. I called them today and they didn't have any info other than they were expecting them to be available Sept. 28. Now I see Amazon US appears to be out of stock and it's only available from third party sellers at the usual inflated prices. So, I don't really think this is a case of Amazon cornering the market or anything; I believe it was simply underproduced, demand exceeded expectations, or poor planning was involved.

I cannot recall any other major box set being unavailable so soon after its introduction, which I believe was August 10 in the US.

At this point, I just feel like if I get it, I get it. I already have most of the recordings in this set. Not going to continue to worry about it. It's Sony's loss if they can't make them available.
operafan
2018-10-08 22:02:21 UTC
I bought it from Amazon, and it arrived a few days after the release date. Originally, I ordered it from bullmoose.com, but they gave me a full refund when it was clear that they weren't getting any copies.
Frank Berger
2018-10-09 00:34:42 UTC
Ditto.
Jon Bell
2018-10-12 22:38:40 UTC
Post by operafan
Post by r***@verizon.net
Can I get a show of hands from those who have received this set, from whatever source?
I bought it from Amazon, and it arrived a few days after the release date.
I pre-ordered it from Amazon on July 2. It arrived on August 11. Just a
few days ago, I finished ripping all the CDs, scanning all the sleeves,
system. In parallel, I've been listening to the music pretty much in
sequence, and have covered about 2/3 of it so far. It's been great fun.
Mr. Mike
2018-10-10 21:36:32 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
Can I get a show of hands from those who have received this set, from whatever source? My importcds. com order was cancelled several weeks after I placed it. I then ordered from HB Direct and it's been back-ordered for over a month. I called them today and they didn't have any info other than they were expecting them to be available Sept. 28. Now I see Amazon US appears to be out of stock and it's only available from third party sellers at the usual inflated prices. So, I don't really think this is a case of Amazon cornering the market or anything; I believe it was simply underproduced, demand exceeded expectations, or poor planning was involved.
As of 2:30 p.m. on October 10th amazon.com is saying

Only 11 left in stock (more on the way).

Amazon.ca says

Only 8 left in stock (more on the way).

Dunno if it is cheaper to order from amazon.ca if you are in the USA,
the price is $291.05 Canadian; if you do it the other way, ordering
from .com from Canada, the price is about $311 Canadian (plus shipping
in both cases).
Jim Sumner
2018-10-09 01:56:33 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
I received a copy from ClassicSelect about six weeks after I ordered it. Double-boxed, no problems with packaging.

Then again, I ordered the Bernstein Choral Box three weeks ago after they claimed they had it in stock and it still hasn't shipped.

So, this may be SOP for them. The delays are bothersome but even more bothersome to me is the fact that they charge your credit card when an order is placed, not when it is shipped. Sit on a $200 or so sale for a month or more and it can become a real issue.
j***@yahoo.com
2018-10-09 12:17:37 UTC
It appears that Importcds has new stock in. They currently show 15 copies available at the normal SRP on Amazon.
JohnA
2018-10-09 23:29:59 UTC
Barnes & Noble also has it in stock on their website. They just sent me a shipping confirmation.
r***@verizon.net
2018-10-10 02:59:19 UTC
Thank you, everyone for your replies, and Joey, thank you for the tip. I ordered it directly from Importcds on their website for $158 vs. $218 had I bought it from Importcds via Amazon.
Frank Berger
2018-10-10 03:23:26 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
Post by j***@yahoo.com
It appears that Importcds has new stock in. They currently show 15 copies available at the normal SRP on Amazon.
Thank you, everyone for your replies, and Joey, thank you for the tip. I ordered it directly from Importcds on their website for $158 vs. $218 had I bought it from Importcds via Amazon.
I noticed the price difference t the two sites. Let us know if they
actually fill your order at $158. I'm guessing that's somehow left over
from before and they don't intend to sell at that price.
r***@verizon.net
Got an email confirming shipping just a few hours after I ordered it.
Frank Berger
Interesting.
Peter H.
2018-10-10 13:21:43 UTC
I have often found that there is usually a discrepancy between the price on their website and their price on Amazon as a 3rd party seller. I always assumed the discrepancy had to do with recouping some of the money that they have to pay Amazon when they make a sale via the Amazon website.
Frank Berger
2018-10-10 14:29:31 UTC
Post by Peter H.
Post by Frank Berger
I noticed the price difference t the two sites. Let us know if they
actually fill your order at $158. I'm guessing that's somehow left over
from before and they don't intend to sell at that price.
I have often found that there is usually a discrepancy between the price on their website and their price on Amazon as a 3rd party seller. I always assumed the discrepancy had to do with recouping some of the money that they have to pay Amazon when they make a sale via the Amazon website.
Applying my economics training (a dangerous thing to do, which often
subjects me to ridicule): If the people visiting the web site and the
people "finding" them via Amazon are two different groups (ideally, each
being unaware of the other site), it could actually be profit maximizing
for Classic Select to charge different prices to the two "groups." This
is called price discrimination and the textbook case requires two (or
more) separate groups of customers with different demand elasticities
(responsiveness to price changes). Maybe those going directly to their
web site are looking for bargains where people going to Amazon are less
interested in price. This model really requires the seller to have
monopoly power, which doesn't really seem to apply here, but there is a
certain amount of ignorance (imperfect information in economist jargon)
that maybe conveys some amount of monopoly power. If everyone knew
everything no one would pay a high price when a low price is available.

Or it's just a pricing mistake.
u***@gmail.com
2018-10-10 16:04:44 UTC
Post by Peter H.
Post by Frank Berger
[...]
Amazon currently shows 'temporarily out of stock', but the good news is that there is a merchant (in the UK) able to ship it for $883.39
+ $3.99 shipping .
Mark Zimmer
I know there is software for Amazon sellers to dynamically adjust their prices based on other offerings; it could be that is used on the Amazon marketplace, but that the prices on their own website are more static. In any event, it pays to check both (plus Amazon UK, France, Germany etc!)
weary flake
2018-10-10 23:08:22 UTC
Post by Peter H.
I noticed the price difference t the two sites. Let us know if they>
actually fill your order at $158. I'm guessing that's somehow left
over> from before and they don't intend to sell at that price.
I have often found that there is usually a discrepancy between the
price on their website and their price on Amazon as a 3rd party seller.
I always assumed the discrepancy had to do with recouping some of the
money that they have to pay Amazon when they make a sale via the Amazon
website.
I've often noticed widely different prices for importcds for importcds.com,
from their third party listings from amazon.com, and their ebay listings.
Years ago, I remember ordering from all three of these importcds sources in
the same day because it came out best for pricing to do three seperate orders
than only one.
Alan Dawes
2018-10-10 09:10:18 UTC
Post by r***@verizon.net
Post by j***@yahoo.com
It appears that Importcds has new stock in. They currently show 15
copies available at the normal SRP on Amazon.
Thank you, everyone for your replies, and Joey, thank you for the tip. I
ordered it directly from Importcds on their website for $158 vs. $218
had I bought it from Importcds via Amazon.
Is this an illustration of the "influence" that Amazon exerts on the
prices that "partner" companies selling through them have to charge when
they are also in competition with Amazon?

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
m***@gmail.com
2018-10-10 21:28:50 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
[...]
Well so far while waiting for the Szell box I saved 70 on the live Nilsson box and 170 on the La Nilsson studio box. Was it worth the wait??? well yeah!!!!