Anthony Braxton
Mandryka
2021-04-05 20:03:01 UTC
Recommend me some of his recordings please.

What’s he about? Graphic scores à la Cornelius Cardew? Structures for improvisation à la Richard Barrett? Or what?
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-05 20:12:11 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Recommend me some of his recordings please.
OK, well, my favorite albums are these:

https://newbraxtonhouse.bandcamp.com/album/12-duets-dcwm-2012
https://newbraxtonhouse.bandcamp.com/album/trio-new-haven-2013
Post by Mandryka
What's he about?
Heh. I don't even know where to start.... What is Braxton about?
Everything!

Maybe read a little about Braxtonland at Berlin Jazzfest 2019....
e.g. https://www.freejazzblog.org/2019/11/jazzfest-berlin-2019.html

(Braxton believes that all of his hundreds of compositions are
suitable for performance at the same time, for instance.)

Let's see... Braxton released the first album of solo saxophone
music. The Anthony Braxton Quartet (1980s version) basically defined
dodecaphonic jazz improvisation. His "sight reading test" for
musicians who want(ed) to join his bands is legendary....

Besides this Braxtonland multimedia project, what he'd been spending
most time on recently (per my understanding) is operas. E.g.
_Trillium J_ is on Vimeo.
margolbe
Check out his first album on Arista Records (New York, Fall 1974. It is one of his most accessible -- a combination of post-modern bop and free-form.
Mandryka
2021-04-06 16:25:51 UTC
What is this ?

https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/concept-of-freedom-hatology-614

Whatever it is I like it. But I’m not sure how Braxton is involved.
Todd Michel McComb
2021-04-06 22:12:53 UTC
Post by Mandryka
What is this ?
https://outhere-music.com/en/albums/concept-of-freedom-hatology-614
Whatever it is I like it. But I'm not sure how Braxton is involved.
Compositions are by Braxton & Ellington.

See
https://www.discogs.com/Anthony-Braxton-Duke-Ellington-Concept-Of-Freedom/release/2524345
Néstor Castiglione
2021-04-07 02:00:43 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Recommend me some of his recordings please.
What’s he about? Graphic scores à la Cornelius Cardew? Structures for improvisation à la Richard Barrett? Or what?
A good place to start might be his sets of Standards albums. Like their names imply, it's his take on various jazz standards from across the history of the genre. Their mostly fairly straight for Braxton, but he gives them just enough of a modernist tang to draw the listener's attention. Fantastic stuff. That said, I find Braxton on the whole to be uneven. Some of his work is truly great; other times it sounds like he's phoning it in. Personally, I'm more of an Albert Ayler man myself.