New Monteux box by Decca
Add Reply
ArturPS
2019-08-26 23:09:41 UTC
Hi all, I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but I just saw this new box from Decca of "complete" Monteux:

https://www.amazon.de/Pierre-Monteux-Complete-Decca-Recordings/dp/B07WQ1NZ7M/

and was wondering what was new and if I should bother replacing the previous decca box or not. The previous one was 20 CDs, this lists at 24, but I can't (won't?) compare track listings to figure out what's new here. Any ideas?
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-26 23:57:13 UTC
The previous Decca set was incomplete. Except for the Beethoven Leonore Overture No.3, previously issued in Japan and on a facsimile Victrola LP coupled with the 4th Symphony, this new set is complete offering all of the Decca and Philips recordings, plus the two made for Westminster.

Steve Reveyoso
Invocation
2019-08-27 00:06:34 UTC
From what I read, the new box made a mistake by forgot to include that Leonore Overture No. 3. Not sure whether Decca can fix this before the actual release
ArturPS
2019-08-27 00:06:38 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
The previous Decca set was incomplete. Except for the Beethoven Leonore Overture No.3, previously issued in Japan and on a facsimile Victrola LP coupled with the 4th Symphony, this new set is complete offering all of the Decca and Philips recordings, plus the two made for Westminster.
Steve Reveyoso
Thanks

Do you have more info on what 4 extra CDs of completeness brings me?
ArturPS
(one side of my curiosity is whether or not I can buy only these that are missing from the old box)
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-27 02:57:14 UTC
Among the missing items from the earlier set are Brahms' 1st Piano Concerto with Julius Katchen, Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique and the excerpts from Mendelssohn's A Midsummer Night's Dream. Also, I do not believe the earlier set provides both versions of Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony. The "Fidelio" Overture also seems to be missing.

Steve Reveyoso
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-27 03:07:58 UTC
An additional note, although Julius Katchen is listed on the rear cover of the Italian set, this is for his playing of the piano part in the Paris recording of Stravinsky's Petrouchka. And as with Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony, I believe only one of two versions of Brahms' 2nd Symphony is included. I think you can fill in all of the missing items with their representations in the Decca Eloquence catalogue.

Steve Reveyoso
J.A.W.
2019-08-27 10:02:28 UTC
The earlier box includes both Eroica recordings, one by the Vienna PO and one by the Concertgebouw Orchestra.
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-27 11:08:28 UTC
That's good news about the "Eroica", but then there is the case with the Schubert Rosamunde excerpts. With the exception of an obscure early Japanese CD, this was represented in an incomplete edition until recently.

Steve
ArturPS
2019-08-27 17:33:03 UTC
thanks!!
wanwan
2019-08-27 06:14:58 UTC
Post by ArturPS
Post by r***@gmail.com
The previous Decca set was incomplete. Except for the Beethoven Leonore Overture No.3, previously issued in Japan and on a facsimile Victrola LP coupled with the 4th Symphony, this new set is complete offering all of the Decca and Philips recordings, plus the two made for Westminster.
Steve Reveyoso
Thanks
Do you have more info on what 4 extra CDs of completeness brings me?
The set is supposed to have a previously unreleased rehearsal from the LSO Daphnis et Chloe.

Eric
Jerry
2019-08-27 18:39:53 UTC
Post by ArturPS
Post by r***@gmail.com
The previous Decca set was incomplete. Except for the Beethoven Leonore Overture No.3, previously issued in Japan and on a facsimile Victrola LP coupled with the 4th Symphony, this new set is complete offering all of the Decca and Philips recordings, plus the two made for Westminster.
Steve Reveyoso
Thanks
Do you have more info on what 4 extra CDs of completeness brings me?
Re: Leonore No. 3 - Tell Me More

I had assumed that the most thorough Monteux Discography was the
one compiled for John Canarina's 2003 book "Pierre Monteux -
Maitre" in which the only Leonore No. 3 is a 1952 SFSO air-check
on Music and Arts.

Is there a newly-uncovered studio Leonore No. 3 from Decca/London?

Any details on where it might have appeared?

Jerry

P.S. Who, in spite of being a confirmed "completist," is still
not OCD enough to drop big bucks to add one or two minor items
to an almost complete collection.
Invocation
There is one recording with LSO from 1959, included as the filler of the Beethoven Sym No. 4 (Victor VICS-1102)
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-27 19:27:10 UTC
The 1959 Leonore No.3, recorded at the time of Beethoven's 4th Symphony received its first issue on an Acoustic Sounds facsimile issue of an RCA/Victrola LP - I believe back in 1999. I bought it at the time. By the way, the original Victrola LP issue of the 4th Symphony back in 1964 coupled that work with Monteux's San Francisco recording of Wagner's Siegfried Idyll. The Leonore No.3 next was issued in the 2014 Decca Japan CD set of the Decca and Westminster Beethoven recordings, while the Concertgebouw "Eroica" was separately issued in set devoted to the Philips recordings. These are the only two releases of Monteux's commercial version of that overture. It's worth noting that his 1962 recording of Brahms' "Tragic" overture didn't see the light of day until 1995. My notion about that is Philips had no where to issue it. Had Monteux lived to record Brahms' 3rd for the label, the Tragic probably would have been coupled with it. The same year, Colin Davis recorded Beethoven's "Pastorale" Symphony, "Prometheus" Overture and Leonore Overture No.2, all with the London Symphony Orchestra, as well. While the symphony and Prometheus were issued (coupled on the same LP), the Leonore No.2 remains unissued to this day. This sort of thing has happened many times in the record industry's history.

Steve
Jerry
2019-08-27 19:58:05 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
Thanks so much, Steve, for this detailed addendum to the Canarina
discography.

Jerry
Frank Berger
2019-08-27 21:46:01 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
The LSO Leonore #3 was released on one of those Tower special releases
as well Proc-1577.

Testament 1476 contains a live 1960 Monteux concert (in mono) with the
Berlin PO (amazingly, one of only two times he conducted that orchestra
II
vhorowitz
2019-08-27 22:20:08 UTC
This discography, while not quite up to date, lists a lot of live items of interest: http://patachonf.free.fr/musique/monteux/discographie.php?p=b#b
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-27 22:20:09 UTC
The Tower Japan Beethoven set you mention, of which I own a copy, is the set that I referenced in my posts.

Steve
Jerry
2019-08-27 18:14:31 UTC
Post by ArturPS
https://www.amazon.de/Pierre-Monteux-Complete-Decca-Recordings/dp/B07WQ1NZ7M/
and was wondering what was new and if I should bother replacing the previous decca box or not. The previous one was 20 CDs, this lists at 24, but I can't (won't?) compare track listings to figure out what's new here. Any ideas?
The new set appears to now have all four excerpts from Rosamunde (WP)
(on Disc 7) that also popped up on CD on an Australian Eloquence late
last year.

Jerry
John Fowler
2019-08-28 15:25:52 UTC
https://tower.jp/item/4951772/%E3%83%87%E3%83%83%E3%82%AB%E9%8C%B2%E9%9F%B3%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86

Bad: Beethoven Leonore 3 is not here.

Good: Every other Decca, Philips and Westminster recording is included.
Good: CD 24 (rehearsals) includes first release of Ravel Daphnis & Chloe.

Dumb: CD 23 is a 1971 recording of Ravel Bolero, Pavane & La Valse with his son Claude Monteux conducting the Royal Philharmonic (originally on Decca Phase 4 LP).
John Fowler
2019-08-28 18:10:05 UTC
https://tower.jp/item/4951772/%E3%83%87%E3%83%83%E3%82%AB%E9%8C%B2%E9%9F%B3%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86

Bad: Beethoven Leonore 3 is not here.
Good: Every other Decca, Philips and Westminster recording is included.
Good: CD 24 (rehearsals) includes first release of Ravel Daphnis & Chloe rehearsal.

John Fowler
2019-08-28 18:22:35 UTC
Post by ArturPS
https://www.amazon.de/Pierre-Monteux-Complete-Decca-Recordings/dp/B07WQ1NZ7M/
and was wondering what was new and if I should bother replacing the previous decca box or not. The previous one was 20 CDs, this lists at 24, but I can't (won't?) compare track listings to figure out what's new here. Any ideas?
Missing from the old box were:
- Beethoven: Fidelio Overture - London Symphony
- Beethoven Symphony 9 rehearsal (26 minutes) - London Symphony
- Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique - Vienna Philharmonic
- Brahms: Symphony 2 - Vienna Philharmonic
- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream - Vienna Philharmonic
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade - London Symphony
- Schubert: Ballet Music Number 1 from Rosamunde - Vienna Philharmonic
(I'm pretty sure the Ballet Music No.1 is in the new box, but Tower Records doesn't provide a detailed breakdown of the Rosamunde music)

+ the rehearsal of Ravel Daphnis et Chloe (first release)

The Beethoven Leonore 3 was a missed opportunity. A number of other LSO Beethoven recordings (+ Brahms Tragic Overture) were issued posthumously, but Decca keeps forgetting Leonore 3.
Invocation
2019-08-28 19:38:18 UTC
在 2019年8月28日星期三 UTC-4下午2:22:38,John Fowler写道:
Post by John Fowler
Post by ArturPS
[...]
Now I am wondering whether there will be any new remastering in this boxset. Decca might just combine the old box with Eloquence releases of the missing ones (plus the rehearsal).

After Monteux, maybe we can expect complete Beinum or Ansermet from Decca? Seem it can recycle most of the existing Eloquence releases easily.
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-28 20:10:58 UTC
This year marks the 60th anniversary of Eduard van Beinum's death and the 50th anniversary of Ernest Ansermet's. Bring 'em on!!!

Steve
John Fowler
2019-08-28 18:25:55 UTC
John Fowler
2019-08-28 18:28:22 UTC
https://tower.jp/item/4951772/%E3%83%87%E3%83%83%E3%82%AB%E9%8C%B2%E9%9F%B3%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-28 18:57:26 UTC
I'm a bit confused - is the Decca Monteux box complete???
r***@gmail.com
2019-08-28 19:06:37 UTC
With the exception of Beethoven's Leonore Overture No.3, the new set coming in October will be Monteux's complete Decca, Philips and Westminster recordings. Decca's earlier set was not complete.

Steve
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-28 18:58:41 UTC
BTW John Fowler is a WONDERFUL reviewer on Amazon. Really an encyclopedic knowledge
msw design
2019-08-28 20:22:18 UTC
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
Post by John Fowler
https://tower.jp/item/4951772/%E3%83%87%E3%83%83%E3%82%AB%E9%8C%B2%E9%9F%B3%E5%85%A8%E9%9B%86
BTW John Fowler is a WONDERFUL reviewer on Amazon. Really an encyclopedic knowledge
He shall not reach perfection until he sprinkles in a little O'Hanlon derangement:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3KXAB1P1Q7UGZ/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_btm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B014I5JYOK#wasThisHelpful

But better he be true to himself than shift in the direction of Santa Fe Listener's biographical and narrative blather. Enough of that, thank you.

In all seriousness, Fowler makes the typing fingers work for all of us. Give those fingers a bonus, Fowler. New pair of mittens, maybe, for healthy walks between reviews. ;-)
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-29 02:00:44 UTC
Oh God is Santa Fe Listener still posting onto Amazon - wretched reviews.
John Fowler
2019-08-29 12:22:14 UTC
Correction: I forgot that Brahms Piano Concerto No.1 with Katchen/LSO was also missing from the old box.

Missing from the old box, but in the new box:
- Beethoven: Fidelio Overture - London Symphony
- Beethoven Symphony 9 rehearsal (26 minutes) - London Symphony
- Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique - Vienna Philharmonic
- Brahms: Symphony 2 - Vienna Philharmonic
- Brahms Pioano Concerto 1 - Katchen, London Symphony
- Mendelssohn: Midsummer Night's Dream - Vienna Philharmonic
- Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherezade - London Symphony
- Schubert: Ballet Music Number 1 from Rosamunde - Vienna Philharmonic
(I'm pretty sure Ballet Music No.1 is in the new box, but Tower Records doesn't provide a detailed breakdown of the Rosamunde music)

First Release in the new box: rehearsal of Ravel Daphnis et Chloe

Missing from both boxes: Beethoven Leonore 3 Overture
A number of Monteux/LSO Beethoven recordings (+ Brahms Tragic Overture) were issued posthumously, but Decca keeps forgetting Leonore 3.
It apparently was released on CD in Japan, but I have been unable to find it.

Bonus: The new 24 CD box costs less than the old 20 CD box.
ArturPS
One of the things that prompted me to start this thread was the fact that I had already bought some eloquence cds to complement the old box based on your review. Thank you for that review and many others, I followed them and was glad I did.
Frank Berger
2019-08-29 13:56:46 UTC
Post by John Fowler
[...]
This this is the special Tower/Japan release that included the Leonore #3:

https://tower.jp/search/item/proc%EF%BC%8D1570

It seems to be available. To order from the U.S. you'd have to order
through a third party, like White Rabbit.

Google translation of contents Leonore is on DISC6, says first time on CD):

<DISC1>
1. Symphony No.1 in C major, Op.21
2. Symphony No.2 in D major, Op.36
3. Opera "Fidelio" Overture Op.72c
4. Drama 《Egmont》 Op.84-Overture
5. Drama Music 《King Stephan》 Op.117-Overture

<DISC2>
6. Symphony No.3 in E flat major, Op.55 “Hero”
7. Symphony No.8 in F major, Op.93

<DISC3>
8. Symphony No.4 in B flat major, Op.60
9. Symphony No.7 in A major, Op.92

<DISC4>
10. Symphony No.5 in C minor Op.67 《Fate》
11. Symphony No.6 in F major, Op.68 "Rural"

<DISC5>
12. Symphony No.9 in D minor Op.125 "Chorus"

<DISC6>
13. Symphony No.9 in D minor Op.125 "Chorus" Rehearsal
14. Claude Joseph Rouge de Lille (1760-1836): La Marseilles (French
National Anthem) Rehearsal
15. Ludwig van Beethoven: Leonore Overture No.3, work 72b (special
recording, world first CD)

[Performance]
Elisabeth Sederström (Soprano), Regina Resnick (Alto), John Vickers
(Tenor), David Ward (Bus), London Bach Choir (more than 12)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra (1,6,7,11), London Symphony Orchestra
(2-5,8-10,12-15)
Pierre Montout (conductor)

【recording】
December 2-3, 1957 (6), October 21-31, 1958 (11), April 15, 22, 1959
(7), April 20-24, 1960 (1) Vienna, Zoffy Enzar
May 9-10, 1960 (2,3,5), June 1962 (12-14) London, Walthamstow Assembly Hall
May 23-27, 1959 (4,9,10), October 15-16 (8,15) London, Kingsway Hall

[Master]
DECCA, WESTMINSTER (9th, rehearsal)
John Fowler
2019-08-29 20:09:27 UTC
Frank Berger:
Many thanks for this information.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive for just one overture.
Maybe Eloquence could be persuaded to issue it on a single.

Speaking of Eloquence, Buywell Classics of Australia appears to be defunct.
Apparently existing Eloquence CDs will be handled directly by Universal Classics.
I don't think this is good news.
Frank Berger
2019-08-29 20:19:48 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Many thanks for this information.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive for just one overture.
Maybe Eloquence could be persuaded to issue it on a single.
Speaking of Eloquence, Buywell Classics of Australia appears to be defunct.
Apparently existing Eloquence CDs will be handled directly by Universal Classics.
I don't think this is good news.
Too bad. Another one bites the dust. I bought many Eloquence CDs from
them, when available no where else, I think. Once they became available
everyone, I stopped using Buywell. Good service, if a little slow.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-29 23:04:51 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Many thanks for this information.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive for just one overture.
Maybe Eloquence could be persuaded to issue it on a single.
Speaking of Eloquence, Buywell Classics of Australia appears to be defunct.
Apparently existing Eloquence CDs will be handled directly by Universal Classics.
I don't think this is good news.
Too bad. I enjoyed doing business with Buywell, and at one time I think they actually had a say about what would be issued. Wasn't there an Australian Eloquence that was distinct from the generic label? In any case there's still a clunky Eloquence website, https://eloquenceclassics.com/, and there are still plenty of wonderful offerings. As for the future, I guess I'm with John.

AC
drh8h
drh8h
2019-08-29 23:26:23 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Many thanks for this information.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive for just one overture.
Maybe Eloquence could be persuaded to issue it on a single.
Speaking of Eloquence, Buywell Classics of Australia appears to be defunct.
Apparently existing Eloquence CDs will be handled directly by Universal Classics.
I don't think this is good news.
I think they changed their website address and didn't tell us:

buywellmusic.com

DH
Frank Berger
2019-08-30 00:50:22 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by John Fowler
Many thanks for this information.
Unfortunately the price is prohibitive for just one overture.
Maybe Eloquence could be persuaded to issue it on a single.
Speaking of Eloquence, Buywell Classics of Australia appears to be defunct.
Apparently existing Eloquence CDs will be handled directly by Universal Classics.
I don't think this is good news.
buywellmusic.com
DH
I think you're right. That's so weird. I think the so-called
Australian Eloquence disks did start to receive an international
distribution at some point. As I recall I would see one at Buywell's
site and then find it cheaper on Amazon or Presto.
Invocation
One good thing with the old buywell is that they offer the pdf of the booklets of those Eloquence releases for free. Unfortunately they stopped doing that.
Randy Lane
2019-08-31 18:07:57 UTC
Wish UMG had sweetened this box with hi-res BluRay copy too.
Mark Obert-Thorn
2019-09-02 23:09:41 UTC
Post by John Fowler
[...]
Does anyone know if this Leonore No. 3 ever appeared on an actual Decca CD release, or just on the Acoustic Sounds LP and the Tower/Japan CD set? And if it did, could you let me know the catalog number? Thanks.

MO-T
Invocation
Never issued by Decca on CD itself.
s***@gmail.com
2019-09-03 00:28:16 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
Post by Frank Berger
Post by John Fowler
[...]
Correction,

The Leonore Overture No.3, as I have pointed out earlier, did appear on a Decca CD - as part of a Beethoven set, but, to date, only in Japan.

Steve
Invocation
That was issued by Tower, not Decca, although licensed from Decca.
John Fowler
2019-09-03 12:00:43 UTC
The 6 CD box it was in had the same contents and layout of the Eloquence Beethoven Box except Leonore #3 replaced the Beethoven Eroica from Amsterdam.
The cover design of the Japanese box used the Westminster/Beethoven 9 LP cover.