Cziffra's recordings - Hungaroton Vs. EMI
George
2014-10-22 19:14:19 UTC
Just curious if there is much of a difference in performance of the works that Cziffra recorded for Hungaroton, then later recorded for EMI?

George
h***@btinternet.com
2014-10-22 21:13:42 UTC
I think that some of the recordings which have been released on EMI were actually recorded at Hungaroton's studios on Paris. That was the case with a handful of his Hungarian Rapsodies - and I certainly prefered them to the ones he recorded later.

Probably my favourite studio Cziffra recording is a CD with the EMI logo with music by Daquin, Luly, Rameau, Couperin and Ravel. Whether all of this is really Hungaroton branded EMI I don't know.
Bozo
2014-10-22 23:05:05 UTC
I would also recommend this Aura Classics cd of live RSI performances from 1963, if I recall :

http://tinyurl.com/kntpqfg
George
2014-10-24 02:20:57 UTC
http://tinyurl.com/kntpqfg
Thanks!

Anyone have more to say on my original question?

George
h***@btinternet.com
2014-10-26 10:24:30 UTC
I think some of his best recordings are on EMI, I'm thinking of the Senlis recordings, especially the Brahms and French baroque therin. There's also a recording with some pretty special Scarlatti from a Prague concert , I'm not sure if it was an EMI CD. We've also discussed here his EMI Paganini Variations - which certainly divides opinions and certainly is unique - I appreciate it a lot. That was on one of his Introuvables - which is worth having, it also has some good Chopin for example, etudes. And, as you know, George, I'm very very fond of his studio Beethoven sonatas, which also was EMI. His Chopin Waltzes and the Chopin Etudes which Tom put on great pianists too - they were branded EMI. I'm going to listen to how he plays the Chopin sonatas later today.

Of course some of these EMI studio recordings may in fact be made at Hungaroton's studios, where he clearly felt comfortable.

Are the Senlis recordings really live. Anyone like his Schumann?
h***@btinternet.com
2014-10-26 10:29:26 UTC
I meant to say the Senlis recordings have some ood Chopin etudes, not the Introuvables,
delphi XE
2014-11-28 07:02:47 UTC
Post by George
Just curious if there is much of a difference in performance of the works that Cziffra recorded for Hungaroton, then later recorded for EMI?
George
Cziffra had recorded several works for Hungaroton, during 1954 Oct 21 to 1956 Sept 29.
His dazzling performance of Liszt Concerto in studio is not recorded for EMI, but for Hungaroton.
You may know that he had recorded Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue for Hungaroton. (Any other versions are not popped up)

In Liszt's Transcendental Etude, the No.4 has many differences beetween EMI version.
But in the Hungarian Rhapsody, the EMI licensed Nos. 2, 6, 12, 15 from Hungaroton.

And there's some performances of special improvisations/transcriptions that Cziffra didn't recorded for EMI.
gggg gggg
2021-01-24 23:10:41 UTC
Post by George
Just curious if there is much of a difference in performance of the works that Cziffra recorded for Hungaroton, then later recorded for EMI?
George
Tonight on WFMT:

https://www.wfmt.com/2021/01/24/the-art-of-gyorgy-cziffra-i-2/