Faure Fantasie
Add Reply
Rugby
2008-04-21 23:15:26 UTC
This one for piano and orchestra, Op.122 (?). Did not know existed,
heard just bits on the car radio, but sounded marvelous. Anyone here
able to comment on the merits, indicate if it survives more than one
hearing? Amazon US has no listings. Recordings ?

Thanks ! Rugby
JohnGavin
2008-04-21 23:30:09 UTC
Post by Rugby
This one for piano and orchestra, Op.122 (?). Did not know existed,
heard just bits on the car radio, but sounded marvelous. Anyone here
able to comment on the merits, indicate if it survives more than one
hearing? Amazon US has no listings. Recordings ?
Thanks !  Rugby
Yes - the Fantasie op. 111. It's a wonderful piece - I love it,
really lovely. Most people who know it will probably recommend the
Collard / Plaisson recording on EMI, but my first choice is
DeLarrocha / Foster on Decca.
JohnGavin
2008-04-21 23:47:16 UTC
Post by Rugby
This one for piano and orchestra, Op.122 (?). Did not know existed,
heard just bits on the car radio, but sounded marvelous. Anyone here
able to comment on the merits, indicate if it survives more than one
hearing? Amazon US has no listings. Recordings ?
Thanks !  Rugby
Yes - the Fantasie op. 111.  It's a wonderful piece - I love it,
really lovely.  Most people who know it will probably recommend the
Collard / Plaisson recording on EMI, but my first choice is
DeLarrocha / Foster on Decca.
As to the piece itself, it's an interesting dichotomy between classic
thematic development and a highly free-rhapsodic style - the kind of
paradox that only a master like Faure could pull off. This is late
Faure, of course.
j***@aol.com
2008-04-22 18:02:18 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Rugby
This one for piano and orchestra, Op.122 (?). Did not know existed,
heard just bits on the car radio, but sounded marvelous. Anyone here
able to comment on the merits, indicate if it survives more than one
hearing? Amazon US has no listings. Recordings ?
Thanks ! Rugby
Yes - the Fantasie op. 111. It's a wonderful piece - I love it,
really lovely. Most people who know it will probably recommend the
Collard / Plaisson recording on EMI, but my first choice is
DeLarrocha / Foster on Decca.
As to the piece itself, it's an interesting dichotomy between classic
thematic development and a highly free-rhapsodic style - the kind of
paradox that only a master like Faure could pull off. This is late
Faure, of course.
Maybe that's why I find it a little bit weird. It's not my favorite
Faure, but it has some interesting things in it. The orchestration is
not his, though.

My recording is with the CBC Vancouver Orchestra and Mario Bernardi.
The pianist is Stephane Lemelin. I haven't heard any others, as far as
I know. Mostly I bought the disc for the Roussel concerto.

--Jeff
Rugby
2008-04-23 00:51:30 UTC
On Apr 22, 1:02 pm, "***@aol.com" <***@aol.com> wrote:

My existing Faure collection consists of the complete Nocturnes and
Bacarolles on EMI lp's with Collard, the Ballade with Bernstein/
Casadesus on the Columbia lp with their remarkable S-S 4th Concerto, a
4-hand piano Dolly Suite, and a few solo piano works, as well as the
Requiem. So the German cd will be a welcome addition.

I once asked a knowledgable French piano buff whether Faure best
expressed the French soul. He said "no", Poulenc did because Poulenc
better expressed the French sense of humour (?!!).

I love Poulenc, but Faure is almost a religious experience, even here
in Iowa ( where we suffer being downwind from Canada).

Regards, Rugby
Bob Lombard
2008-04-23 01:37:57 UTC
Post by Rugby
My existing Faure collection consists of the complete Nocturnes and
Bacarolles on EMI lp's with Collard, the Ballade with Bernstein/
Casadesus on the Columbia lp with their remarkable S-S 4th Concerto, a
4-hand piano Dolly Suite, and a few solo piano works, as well as the
Requiem. So the German cd will be a welcome addition.
I once asked a knowledgable French piano buff whether Faure best
expressed the French soul. He said "no", Poulenc did because Poulenc
better expressed the French sense of humour (?!!).
I love Poulenc, but Faure is almost a religious experience, even here
in Iowa ( where we suffer being downwind from Canada).
Regards, Rugby
The French soul is best expressed by an amalgam of Berlioz, Franck,
Chabrier and Saint-Saens. With a counterweight of Ducas, Poulenc and
Debussy. Oh hell, never mind.

The prevailing west winds should keep Iowa out of Moose Corners' effluvia.

bl
Rugby
2008-04-29 03:36:43 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
As to the piece itself, it's an interesting dichotomy between classic
thematic development and a highly free-rhapsodic style - the kind of
paradox that only a master like Faure could pull off.  This is late
Faure, of course.
My Fantasie cd arrived ( Grant Johannesen,Luxembourg Radio,Louis de
Froment) . A bit weird,yes.Perhaps early dementia.

But the Op.89 Piano Quintet !! Now I know where the Byrds got their
inspiration for " Eight Miles High " !

Rugby
Alan Cooper
2008-04-22 12:24:29 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by Rugby
This one for piano and orchestra, Op.122 (?). Did not know
existed, heard just bits on the car radio, but sounded
marvelous. Anyone here able to comment on the merits, indicate
if it survives more than one hearing? Amazon US has no
listings. Recordings ?
Thanks !  Rugby
Yes - the Fantasie op. 111. It's a wonderful piece - I love it,
really lovely. Most people who know it will probably recommend
the Collard / Plaisson recording on EMI, but my first choice is
DeLarrocha / Foster on Decca.
I like both of those, and would note that the De Larrocha is an excellent bargain c/w
her Ravel Concerti on Australian Eloquence (from Buywell).

AC
Rugby
2008-04-22 17:06:42 UTC
Thanks, gentlemen.

I did find a 3-cd German set with 2 ( the 2 ? ) of his Piano Quartets,
a ( the ?) Piano Quintet, the Op.111 Fantasie, the Ballade ( Op. 19 ?)
for Piano and Orchestra ( already did have Casadesus/Bernstein there),
and the Pellias music, for US $ 3. Probably get what you pay for, but
I could not resist.

Rugby
Alan Cooper
2008-04-22 17:59:31 UTC
Post by Rugby
innews:e328062c-7a7d-4800-992e-b0f06
Thanks, gentlemen.
I did find a 3-cd German set with 2 ( the 2 ? ) of his Piano
Quartets, a ( the ?) Piano Quintet, the Op.111 Fantasie, the
Ballade ( Op. 19 ?) for Piano and Orchestra ( already did have
Casadesus/Bernstein there), and the Pellias music, for US $ 3.
Probably get what you pay for, but I could not resist.
Actually better than what you paid, since usually that set (presumably the one on
Concerto Royale with Froment & the Radio Luxembourg Orchestra) sells for 5 or 6
bucks. Seriously, the performances are more than listenable. There are two Piano
Quintets, btw, and if you like the Fantasie you should love those.

AC
Alain Michel

Have you not yet heard Debussy's Fantaisie on the Angel LP # 37065! Jean Martinon with the French National Radio Orchestra. Aldo Ciccolini [one of Michelangeli's pupils]. The album shows the date of the recording as 1974
JohnGavin
I haven’t heard that recording, but am currently listening quite a bit to 2 works of Maurice Durufle - the Trois Danses for orchestra, and the Prelude, Rececitative and Variations for viola, flute and piano. Just wonderful music!
Alain Michel
2020-08-31 22:35:03 UTC
Post by Alain Michel
Thanks ! Rugby
Yes - the Fantasie op. 111. It's a wonderful piece - I love it,
really lovely. Most people who know it will probably recommend the
Collard / Plaisson recording on EMI, but my first choice is
DeLarrocha / Foster on Decca.
My dear Gavin,
Have you not yet heard Debussy's Fantaisie on the Angel LP # 37065! Jean Martinon with the French National Radio Orchestra. Aldo Ciccolini [one of Michelangeli's pupils]. The album shows the date of the recording as 1974
John,

Don't have much of Durufle here. I don't believe that Durufle has been considered a true "French Romantic" like Faure' et.al. Am I correct? I have his Requiem on LP [EMI/Angel DS/37813] and one on the old MHS [Musical heritage Society] MHS 1509. Helene Bouvier, Mezzo-Soprano and Philippe Caillard/Stephane Caillat Choruses and the Orchestre de l'Association des Concerts Lamoureux.

Early on [early 1980's] became quite fond of sacred choral and organ music, specifically the Aristide Cavaille-Coll instruments. I have one, a particular favorite: Saint Saens Symphony #3. Gaston Litaize/Barenboim/Chicago S.O. at the Chartes Cathedral [DG 2530 619]. Even though the recording is not from a Cavaille Coll instrument, I found it a spectacular recording. The technology of putting together TWO recordings [the organ part was recorded in Paris then mixed with the orchestral part back in the states] was quite unique to me back then. Had not heard that done before.