Mozart cti with Alan Civil and Rudolf Kempe
Add Reply
Carlos
2020-06-08 04:39:44 UTC

2020-06-08 10:25:38 UTC

2020-06-08 15:00:17 UTC
2020-06-09 15:47:43 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
Carlos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CIVIL-Mozart-Concertos-Rondo-Kempe/dp/B004AWVLDO
Alan
That's an LP.
Klemperer recorded them with Alan Civil. Listening now.
MCGM
2020-06-09 13:49:12 UTC
Post by Alan Dawes
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
Carlos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CIVIL-Mozart-Concertos-Rondo-Kempe/dp/B004AWVLDO
Alan
That looks suspiciously like an LP … ;-)

Miguel
Frank Berger
2020-06-09 14:29:26 UTC
Post by MCGM
In article
Has this ever appeared on CD?  Thanks.
Carlos
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CIVIL-Mozart-Concertos-Rondo-Kempe/dp/B004AWVLDO
Alan
That looks suspiciously like an LP … ;-)
Miguel
I already said that and pointed to an actual CD. Not that
I'm looking for credit. When coming in late to a thread, I
try to look ahead to avoid saying something already said.
Sometimes it even helps me avoid saying something stupid. :-)
wkasimer
2020-06-08 12:30:07 UTC
According to Discogs, it has not.
Frank Berger
2020-06-08 14:58:19 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
According to Discogs, it has not.
Discogs can not be relied on to answer that question. As
reported earlier it was released on CD.
Frank Berger
2020-06-08 15:01:21 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Has this ever appeared on CD?  Thanks.
According to Discogs, it has not.
Discogs can not be relied on to answer that question. As
reported earlier it was released on CD.
Whoops. The earlier link was to an LP not a CD, so I guess
we still don't know for sure.
Frank Berger
2020-06-08 15:06:43 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Has this ever appeared on CD?  Thanks.
According to Discogs, it has not.
Discogs can not be relied on to answer that question. As
reported earlier it was released on CD.
Whoops. The earlier link was to an LP not a CD, so I guess
we still don't know for sure.
Here's a link to a discogs listing showing it on CD. Easily
available through them or on Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/y7jym5es
Russ (not Martha)
2020-06-15 18:32:17 UTC
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
It has not.

I could lay my hands on a couple of cassette copies,and transfer Civil's Mozart to CD myself just to have something to do, but I don't feel like spending approx US$20 just for shipping.

Russ (not Martha)
Frank Berger
2020-06-15 20:00:16 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
It has not.
I could lay my hands on a couple of cassette copies,and transfer Civil's Mozart to CD myself just to have something to do, but I don't feel like spending approx US$20 just for shipping.
Russ (not Martha)
I don't understand why people keep saying it has not been
released on CD when I've already twice said it has and even
provided a link to prove it. Also, I've already ordered and
and received it. Here it it again:

https://tinyurl.com/y7jym5es

Am I talking to the wall?
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-15 20:30:52 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
It has not.
I could lay my hands on a couple of cassette copies,and transfer Civil's Mozart to CD myself just to have something to do, but I don't feel like spending approx US$20 just for shipping.
Russ (not Martha)
I don't understand why people keep saying it has not been
released on CD when I've already twice said it has and even
provided a link to prove it. Also, I've already ordered and
https://tinyurl.com/y7jym5es
Am I talking to the wall?
This must be an example of Civil disobedience!

Mark M
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-06-15 20:49:53 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
It has not.
I could lay my hands on a couple of cassette copies,and transfer Civil's Mozart to CD myself just to have something to do, but I don't feel like spending approx US$20 just for shipping.
Russ (not Martha)
I don't understand why people keep saying it has not been
released on CD when I've already twice said it has and even
provided a link to prove it. Also, I've already ordered and
https://tinyurl.com/y7jym5es
Am I talking to the wall?
This must be an example of Civil disobedience!
Mark M
How does this disc compare to the one he did with the ASMF? As a
bonus you get Neil Black playing the oboe concerto with the latter.
Rebuild Queens Hall London
I met him I the mid 1980s when he was 1st horn for the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I witnessed some funny anecdotes, a great guy, buy him a whiskey and your a friend for life.
Russ (not Martha)
2020-06-16 03:17:34 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
It has not.
I could lay my hands on a couple of cassette copies,and transfer Civil's Mozart to CD myself just to have something to do, but I don't feel like spending approx US$20 just for shipping.
Russ (not Martha)
I don't understand why people keep saying it has not been
released on CD when I've already twice said it has and even
provided a link to prove it. Also, I've already ordered and
https://tinyurl.com/y7jym5es
Am I talking to the wall?
Couldn't find any listing in my considerable collection of catalogs. Shows the hazards of attempting to prove a negative.

But here it is, buried in Discogs - evidently EMI used the same catalog number (EMX 2004) for the LP, cassette, and CD issues.

https://www.discogs.com/Mozart-Alan-Civil-Royal-Philharmonic-Orchestra-Rudolf-Kempe-The-Four-Horn-Concertos-Concert-Rondo/master/490075

(Sorry, never got set up with tinyurl)

How does Civil stack up against Brain and Tuckwell???

Russ (not Martha)
Frank Berger
You don't "get set up" with tinyurl. You just clock on it.
Russ (not Martha)
2020-06-16 17:46:34 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
[...]
I dug up an old Gramophone Catalog from 1991 -- remember those? The listings included a reference to the Gramophone Magazine review when applicable -- and there it was, the EMI EMX 2004 CD of Civil and Kempe.
Looks like it's been OOP for well over 25 years.

Thanx for the quick schooling on tinyurl;l I thought it was more complicated than it is.

Russ (not Martha)
Frank Berger
2020-06-16 18:14:44 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
[...]
The CD was issued in 1988. With at least 2 other versions
from Civil (Marriner, Klemperer) plus many others, I imagine
EMI saw no profit in keeping it in print.
John Fowler
2020-06-17 12:45:39 UTC
A complete Kempe box from Warner is overdue.
The Mozart horn concerti with Civil would be included.
drh8h
2020-06-21 23:23:45 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by Carlos
[...]
This is apparently the same recording as appeared on RCA in the late sixties. I always assumed they owned it and it was made around the same time as the Alpine Symphony recording by Kempe and the RPO.

DH

Rebuild Queens Hall London
2020-06-17 19:23:52 UTC
When I first met Alan Civil. I was a teenage musician and used to lodge with a viola player from the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I used to frequently attend rehearsals with them at Maida Vale London. One occasion, I was listening to the recording of the Peter Dickinson Organ Concerto at the Festival Hall for EMI. I brought with me the Philips Mozart Edition box of wind concertos on vinyl which included Alan Civil playing the horn concertos with Neville Marriner. During the recording break I approached him at the artists bar and asked him to sign my Mozart box. He took it from me and looked it over then paused for a minute, I remember him saying, "This one I think....is my best recording". He signed it and handed it back to me. I bought him a whisky and felt very satisfied.
Bob Harper
2020-06-17 19:31:49 UTC
Post by Rebuild Queens Hall London
Post by Carlos
Has this ever appeared on CD? Thanks.
Carlos
When I first met Alan Civil. I was a teenage musician and used to lodge with a viola player from the BBC Symphony Orchestra. I used to frequently attend rehearsals with them at Maida Vale London. One occasion, I was listening to the recording of the Peter Dickinson Organ Concerto at the Festival Hall for EMI. I brought with me the Philips Mozart Edition box of wind concertos on vinyl which included Alan Civil playing the horn concertos with Neville Marriner. During the recording break I approached him at the artists bar and asked him to sign my Mozart box. He took it from me and looked it over then paused for a minute, I remember him saying, "This one I think....is my best recording". He signed it and handed it back to me. I bought him a whisky and felt very satisfied.
Great story. Thanks.