Franz Schmidt
HT
2018-09-27 08:24:41 UTC
While browsing YT I stumbled on Franz Schmidt's toccata for organ. I never heard of Schmidt before and am not a great fan of organ music. I make an exception for this piee (or is it the performance?):

Something else of Schmidt I should hear?

2018-09-27 13:30:32 UTC
Post by HT
http://youtu.be/bipxkRDGTCo
Something else of Schmidt I should hear?
Henk
Forthcoming release

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184UDN2E/
c***@gmail.com
2018-09-27 14:01:10 UTC
http://youtu.be/bipxkRDGTCo
Yes, his chamber music, esp. the two Clarinet Quintets and the Piano Quintet. The classic recording of two of the works on Preiser (http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=54955) may be op, but there are good alternatives in print (esp. the Piano Quintet on Eloquence c/w Bruckner as well as the all-star performance by Leon Fleisher et al. c/w Korngold). Some people fuss over whether the pianist uses left hand only or deploys all 10 digits in performance, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm no fan of Schmidt's symphonies, and have no use at all for his big oratorio. YMMV of course.

AC
HT
2018-09-28 19:00:57 UTC
At the moment I'm listening to his Symphony #4. I like his piano quartet and quintets and intend to listen to more of his chamber music. He's a far more interesting composer than I expected.

As it turns out, the symphony is a bit too much for me ...

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

2018-09-28 19:35:05 UTC
Post by HT
At the moment I'm listening to his Symphony #4. I like his piano quartet and quintets and intend to listen to more of his chamber music. He's a far more interesting composer than I expected.
As it turns out, the symphony is a bit too much for me ...
Thanks to all for the recommendations!
Henk
There is an interesting Wikipedia entry for Schmidt. The 4th symphony
was, in his words, "A Requiem for My Daughter," who died after
childbirth. The author describes Schmidt's music as being modern
without being modernist; his works being too complex for the
conservative minded and too traditional for the avante-garde.
Frank Berger
2018-09-27 14:42:36 UTC
http://youtu.be/bipxkRDGTCo
I would guess his fourth symphony to be his most recorded work.
r***@gmail.com
2018-09-28 09:50:51 UTC
Post by HT
http://youtu.be/bipxkRDGTCo
Something else of Schmidt I should hear?
Henk
I have never heard the toccata. The first work of his I heard was the Decca recording of his 4th symphony conducted by Zubin Mehta. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and because of it bought his other symphonies on LP played by various radio orchestras.
I can't say whether you'll like any of them, of course, but they are worth hearing.
Richard
u***@gmail.com
2018-09-29 15:40:44 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I have never heard the toccata. The first work of his I heard was the Decca recording of his 4th symphony conducted by Zubin Mehta.
Me too, but only because it was included in this Mehta Mahler Resurrection 'Duo'.

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-SCHMIDT-FRANZ-MAHLER-GUSTAV/dp/B00000422P/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538235138&sr=1-1-fkmr1&keywords=mahler+schmidt+mehta

I was underwhelmed by the Schmidt 4.
Richard
markhax
Kirill Petrenko, conductor designate of the BPO, is a great admirer of Schmidt and conducted his 4th symphony earlier this year with that orchestra.
Bob Harper
2018-10-02 02:54:09 UTC
Post by markhax
Post by r***@gmail.com
Richard
Kirill Petrenko, conductor designate of the BPO, is a great admirer of Schmidt and conducted his 4th symphony earlier this year with that orchestra.
I would like to hear that. I can imagine it being a great performance of
what I consider a great work.

Bob Harper
markhax
I think you can watch it for free here: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/51178#watch:51178-3
Bob Harper
2018-10-03 19:53:33 UTC
Post by markhax
Post by Bob Harper
Post by markhax
Post by r***@gmail.com
Richard
Kirill Petrenko, conductor designate of the BPO, is a great admirer of Schmidt and conducted his 4th symphony earlier this year with that orchestra.
I would like to hear that. I can imagine it being a great performance of
what I consider a great work.
Bob Harper
I think you can watch it for free here: https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/51178#watch:51178-3
Only the interviews are free, but I was able to download the audio
elsewhere. Looking forward to hearings the whole thing.