Schumann / Woody Allen
Add Reply
Andrew Clarke
2020-11-06 06:41:40 UTC
My wife sat through the whole of Woody Allen's "Interiors" last night, hoping to identify some Schumann which she thought was played at or near the end of the film. It wasn't there.

She thinks it may have been a piano trio, but we've now heard all three and nothing rings a bell. There's the Fantasie Stuecke to go, but I'm not optimistic. And the piano quartet of course, which I don't know at all.

Can anyone think of a Woody Allen - or similar - film that has something Schumannian at the end?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
number_six
2020-11-06 20:47:39 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
My wife sat through the whole of Woody Allen's "Interiors" last night, hoping to identify some Schumann which she thought was played at or near the end of the film. It wasn't there.
She thinks it may have been a piano trio, but we've now heard all three and nothing rings a bell. There's the Fantasie Stuecke to go, but I'm not optimistic. And the piano quartet of course, which I don't know at all.
Can anyone think of a Woody Allen - or similar - film that has something Schumannian at the end?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
I thought maybe Hannah and her Sisters, but browsed imdb and came up empty

There appears to be at least one blog re music from Allen's films

http://www.woodyallenpages.com/category/music-of-woody-allen-films/

you could try contacting them
MiNe109
2020-11-07 12:52:05 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
My wife sat through the whole of Woody Allen's "Interiors" last night, hoping to identify some Schumann which she thought was played at or near the end of the film. It wasn't there.
She thinks it may have been a piano trio, but we've now heard all three and nothing rings a bell. There's the Fantasie Stuecke to go, but I'm not optimistic. And the piano quartet of course, which I don't know at all.
Can anyone think of a Woody Allen - or similar - film that has something Schumannian at the end?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
I thought maybe Hannah and her Sisters, but browsed imdb and came up empty
There appears to be at least one blog re music from Allen's films
http://www.woodyallenpages.com/category/music-of-woody-allen-films/
you could try contacting them
Crimes and Misdemeanors? There's dialogue that mentions Schumann and
Schubert string quartet is heard.
MiNe109
2020-11-07 13:00:48 UTC
Post by number_six
Post by Andrew Clarke
My wife sat through the whole of Woody Allen's "Interiors" last
night, hoping to identify some Schumann which she thought was played
at or near the end of the film. It wasn't there.
She thinks it may have been a piano trio, but we've now heard all
three and nothing rings a bell. There's the Fantasie Stuecke to go,
but I'm not optimistic. And the piano quartet of course, which I
don't know at all.
Can anyone think of a Woody Allen - or similar - film that has
something Schumannian at the end?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
I thought maybe Hannah and her Sisters, but browsed imdb and came up empty
There appears to be at least one blog re music from Allen's films
http://www.woodyallenpages.com/category/music-of-woody-allen-films/
you could try contacting them
Crimes and Misdemeanors? There's dialogue that mentions Schumann and [a]
Schubert string quartet is heard.
String Quartet in G major, Op. 161, D.887, 1st movement, according to IMDB.
Andrew Clarke
2020-11-07 20:48:40 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Crimes and Misdemeanors? There's dialogue that mentions Schumann and
Schubert string quartet is heard.
I did mention this clanger but no, this wasn't it. We've decided she must have dreamt the whole episode ...

Thanks for your suggestion,

Andrew Clarke
Canberra.
Andrew Clarke
2020-11-09 21:59:17 UTC
Post by MiNe109
Crimes and Misdemeanors? There's dialogue that mentions Schumann and
Schubert string quartet is heard.
Perhaps 'Kinderszenen' would have been apt for 'Crimes and Misdemeanours'?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra

Andrew Clarke
2020-11-07 20:55:21 UTC
Post by number_six
I thought maybe Hannah and her Sisters, but browsed imdb and came up empty
There appears to be at least one blog re music from Allen's films
http://www.woodyallenpages.com/category/music-of-woody-allen-films/
you could try contacting them
From similar browsing of Wikipedia, it appears that a piano version of Schumann's Dichterliebe weepie "Ich grolle nicht" is played in "Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy" (1982) but no, this wasn't it either. We think she dreamt it. But we now have all the Schumann piano trios, which is a plus. I don't know the Piano Quartet so I'll get that too in the not too distant future.

Thanks for your suggestion,

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Kerrison
2020-11-07 21:40:17 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
From similar browsing of Wikipedia, it appears that a piano version of Schumann's Dichterliebe weepie "Ich grolle nicht" is played in "Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy" (1982) but no, this wasn't it either. We think she dreamt it. But we now have all the Schumann piano trios, which is a plus. I don't know the Piano Quartet so I'll get that too in the not too distant future.
Thanks for your suggestion,
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
My favourite Woody Allen scene featuring classical music is in 'Radio Days' when Frank Sinatra sings Anton Rubinstein's 'Romance' Opus 44, No. 1 ...