A Performance That Made You Cry
2019-03-18 02:32:15 UTC
Here is my contribution:

dk
2019-03-18 08:05:59 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
Faure Requiem conducted by Sergiu Celibidache
with Margaret Price and the Munich Philharmonic
in March 1994 at the Gasteig.

I was lucky to carry enough tissues in my pocket!

2019-03-18 13:28:12 UTC
Never attended one live ,but always gets me , the last minutes of " Madame Butterfly " . Here's one effective despite poor sound, video:

g***@gmail.com
2019-09-21 07:13:57 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
Read the Youtube comments section of Richter playing Schubert's D.960.
Andy Evans
2019-09-22 09:16:02 UTC
Falla 7 Popular Spanish songs, Teresa Berganza

Debussy
Debussy Fleur Des Bles, Hugues Cuenod

Both guaranteed to bring tears to my eyes within seconds!
JohnGavin
2019-09-22 16:17:29 UTC
The Vespers Of Rachmaninoff, particularly the Sveshnikov recording. It never fails.
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-09-22 16:26:23 UTC
Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet - I leave the theater a mess
number_six
2019-09-22 17:26:06 UTC
Duetto from Bach Cantata 78
sci.space
2019-09-23 12:20:13 UTC
Post by number_six
Duetto from Bach Cantata 78
First time I heard that I was stopped dead in my tracks, one of the most beautiful duets, right up there with the alto solo Esurientes from his Magnificat.
HT
2019-09-23 14:31:04 UTC
Classical music is too civilized. I enjoy a good performance very much and am deeply bored by a bad one, but that's it. Besides, there are so many alternatives these days (didn't someone recently mention that he had 120 versions of the Kreisleriana?).

My emotions have bad taste: spirituals, East European folk music, early jazz (preferably with primitive instruments), klezmer, Gregorian and Russian Orthodox chant, etc.

2019-09-23 16:49:25 UTC
Mine may be worse, Merle Haggard, "Holding Things Together" :
Bozo
2019-09-23 16:50:12 UTC
Mine may be worse, Merle Haggard, "Holding Things Together" :

number_six
2019-09-24 01:55:43 UTC
And to think of that Archiv LP (Richter I assume) on which the Magnificat and Cantata 78 were paired -- you're in for a treat, the record store guy told me, and truer words were never spoken.
a***@yahoo.com
2019-09-23 01:48:09 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
Lorraine Hunt Lieberson singing Berlioz' Nuits d'ete (on CD).
Ed Presson
2019-09-23 17:58:57 UTC
Verdi's Requiem heard in concert soon after I was released from the hospital
where
a pacemaker was implanted for a newly detected heart condition. I felt
profoundly
grateful to be alive and was deeply moved by the music.
c***@gmail.com
2019-09-23 16:57:01 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
For me, it was the final movement of Mahler's 3rd Symphony conducted by Leonard Bernstein in his last concert as the music director of the Philharmonic. Then sometime in the early '80s, the Hosanna from Frank Martin's Mass for Double Choir performed in Waterloo, Ont. by the Elmer Iseler Singers and the Netherlands Chamber Choir--my first hearing of this sublime work. Nothing quite as memorable since those two despite many wonderful moments.

AC
Mark Zimmer
2019-09-23 17:35:00 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade, performed by the Chicago Symphony a few years ago, with Susanna Mälkki as guest conductor. We were seated close to the concertmaster and the solo violin just knocked our socks off. Both my wife and I had tears streaming down our faces.

Mark
Frank Berger
2019-09-23 18:44:31 UTC
Post by Mark Zimmer
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
http://youtu.be/5r4XJJYvnZE
Rimsky-Korsakov, Scheherazade, performed by the Chicago Symphony a few years ago, with Susanna Mälkki as guest conductor. We were seated close to the concertmaster and the solo violin just knocked our socks off. Both my wife and I had tears streaming down our faces.
Mark
Yes, sometimes just sheer beauty can do it, independent of context or
content.
r***@gmail.com
2019-09-23 21:47:59 UTC
-My emotions have bad taste: spirituals, -East European folk music, early jazz -(preferably with primitive instruments), -klezmer, Gregorian and Russian Orthodox -chant, etc.

Russian Orthodox chant can do it for me, also Gorecki's 3rd symphony, Tchaikovsky 6th, and as stated elsewhere sometimes sheer beauty alone as in some adagios. Birdsong I find very powerful too, of the right kind.