Cimarosa piano sonatas-Victor Sangiorgio
Add Reply
AB
2019-08-08 20:36:40 UTC
Once in a while one stumbles on to very interesting music never heard before.
Heard a number of Cimarosa piano sonatas. The only Cimarosa I know is the famous oboe concerto.
First I was immediately struck by the wonderful pianism and then the beautiful sounding piano.
A great recording.

AB
Ricardo Jimenez
2019-08-09 00:29:51 UTC
Post by AB
Once in a while one stumbles on to very interesting music never heard before.
Heard a number of Cimarosa piano sonatas. The only Cimarosa I know is the famous oboe concerto.
First I was immediately struck by the wonderful pianism and then the beautiful sounding piano.
A great recording.
AB
Thanks for the tip. Besides the two Naxos discs by Sangiorgio,
Spotify has three by Andrea Coen on a fortepiano and two by Dario
Candela.
c***@gmail.com
2019-08-09 13:41:29 UTC
Thanks, Arri and Ricardo. I have a lovely LP collection of 23 of the sonatas performed by Luciano Sgrizzi on a reconstructed Broadwood (https://www.discogs.com/Domenico-Cimarosa-Luciano-Sgrizzi-Twenty-Three-Sonatas-For-Pianoforte/release/8900873, originally Erato). Never reissued on CD afaik, which is too bad. I assume that everyone here knows that the "Cimarosa" Oboe Concerto, which is absolutely gorgeous, actually was "freely arranged for the renowned Oboist Evelyn Barbirolli by Arthur Benjamin" (as described by the publisher).

Mitch Miller recorded the Cimarosa/Benjamin Oboe concerto as well.
JohnGavin
2019-08-09 15:03:52 UTC
My first exposure to these Sonatas was by Robert Veyron-Lacroix on a Westminster LP. He was one of many performers who fell into oblivion with the advent of the CD.
AB
2019-08-09 15:29:35 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
My first exposure to these Sonatas was by Robert Veyron-Lacroix on a Westminster LP. He was one of many performers who fell into oblivion with the advent of the CD.
was not V-L Rampal's accompanist on many recordings for many years, as pianist and harpsichordist?

AB
JohnGavin
2019-08-09 15:51:07 UTC
was not V-L Rampal's accompanist on many recordings for many years, as pianist and harpsichordist?

AB

Yes, I should have said he went into oblivion as a soloist with the advent of CDs. His association with Rampal has kept his name alive. As a solo harpsichordist he made many many recordings during the LP era.