Favorite Rach Corelli Variations
Add Reply
Ed Presson
2020-06-23 23:50:18 UTC
A few days ago I heard Melnikov's recording of Rachmaninoff's Variations on
a Theme
of Corelli on FM. I liked it a lot. It had been decades since I heard it
and I no longer have a recording. So
I started looking for a replacement.

What's your favorite and why? Thanks.
Bozo
2020-06-24 00:26:58 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
What's your favorite and why? Thanks.
I heard a report that Rachmaninoff said when he played the work in recital, he'd judge how the audience was reacting and decide how may of the Variations to actually play.

Personally, I prefer his Chopin Variations from his earlier " style", but both are fine works. I only have recordings by Rodriguez (Elan cd) ,Ratser, perhaps one other.If the Rodriguez is on YT , you may want to try it out.He recorded several of the composer's works.
c***@gmail.com
2020-06-24 02:06:19 UTC
I like all of Rodriguez’s Rachmaninoff. Is it in print? In the Corelli Variations, Scarpini is hors concours imo. Also listen to Richard Farrell. Both are on YouTube iirc. I’ve long enjoyed Ashkenazy’s first recording (Testament or Profil) and Pletnev’s on the composer’s own piano.

2020-06-24 13:50:03 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
In the Corelli Variations, Scarpini is hors concours imo.
Yes,very good,I'd forgotten about Scarpini's. ( Have a listen to his Prokofieff PC # 2 while at it ! )