OT - Is there anything that keeps you up at night?
2021-08-19 05:05:10 UTC
???????????????
HT
2021-08-19 08:24:44 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
No.

2021-08-19 13:58:00 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
No.
Henk
Acid reflux
Arthritis
post nasal drip
anxiety, but not since I retired 11 years ago.
Oscar
I work in the music business (concert production) and I have had 'gig-mares'. Not an uncommon thing for folk in the biz. Why, just today I was told a road case full of two-way radios was not returned tot the rental house and went into Artist storage. I was thrown under the bus. Sucks. What gig-mares are made of.
Bob Harper
2022-10-14 05:08:47 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by Frank Berger
Acid reflux
Arthritis
post nasal drip
anxiety, but not since I retired 11 years ago.
I work in the music business (concert production) and I have had 'gig-mares'. Not an uncommon thing for folk in the biz. Why, just today I was told a road case full of two-way radios was not returned tot the rental house and went into Artist storage. I was thrown under the bus. Sucks. What gig-mares are made of.
I know about job-mares. I was in industrial sales, but 10-15 years later
I still had dreams of calls I was supposed to make and hadn't--this long
after I'd begun teaching. My wife had the same sort of thing after she
retired from teaching: beginning of school terrors that she wasn't
ready, etc. And who among us has not had the 'final exam is coming up
and I've neither attended class nor studied for the final' dreams?

Bob Harper
Mr. Mike
2022-10-16 19:30:52 UTC
On Thu, 13 Oct 2022 22:08:47 -0700, Bob Harper
Post by Bob Harper
I know about job-mares. I was in industrial sales, but 10-15 years later
I still had dreams of calls I was supposed to make and hadn't--this long
after I'd begun teaching
In the late 80's I was making railway schedules on this proprietary
equipment at my job, a typesetting company. I was working massive
amounts of overtime, and at one point, my dreams started to be
structured the same way the pages in the schedule books were.
Andy Evans
2022-10-16 21:18:35 UTC
I always listen to music as I go to sleep - I put on a playlist in iTunes or YT. So the question is what works and what doesn't.

List of music that works:
- my own songs, best of all. I have an album of 12 songs made in Garageband
- Modern Gospel - Clarke Sisters, Dorinda, Kim Burrell etc
- Garage tracks in YT
- Bill Evans trio with Gomez and Zigmund
- Jazz singers slow numbers, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Carol Welsman, Diane Shuur, Dianne Reeves, Shirley Horne, Lou Rawls, Dr John, Taj Mahal etc
- Steely Dan/Donald Fagen tracks, selected
- Debussy Preludes Book 1
- Beethoven selected piano sonatas
- Schubert selected piano sonatas
- Wagner Meistersinger
- Ravel L'Enfant et les Sortileges

I find that vocal music tends to work and piano is pretty good. Orchestral not good - too many dynamic contrasts. Bach doesn't work either.
gggg gggg
Weren't the Goldberg Variations composed to help a person fall asleep?
number_six
2022-10-17 04:13:21 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by Andy Evans
[...]
yes, I think that's also been said re some Corelli concerti grossi...

Here's one of my anti-insomnia games -- for each letter of alphabet, think of five (up to 20 for some letters) composers and then maybe imagine hearing some of a work in my head...exceptions often made for Q and X...zzzzz
Herman
2021-08-19 09:15:58 UTC
Love
Andy Evans
2021-08-19 09:33:32 UTC
Anything that requires creative thinking. If I'm writing a book I wake up constantly with ideas. Right now I'm designing and building tube amplifiers and I think about circuits during the night when I wake. I also write songs and I ruminate over the structure, melody lines and harmonies. Anything like that. I wake up 3 to 5 times in the night.

One thing that usually sends me to sleep is music, which I play every night when I go to bed. It's usually my gospel playlist in iTunes - I find modern gospel music soothing. Occasionally it will be Bill Evans, Schubert sonatas or Debussy, but the piano is a more percussive sound. Around 5am it tends to be Ravel's orchestral work - Tombeau de Couperin, Ma Mere L'Oye. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
JohnGavin
2021-08-19 11:54:26 UTC
1. Don’t dwell on all the bad news that has intensified since the onset of Covid. While you don’t want to bury your head in the sand, some people seem to become disaster addicts. Bad news brings higher ratings on news shows and in print than good news. It also continues in your mind after the broadcast ends!

2. Don’t take anything caffeinated after 11 am.

3. Too many carbohydrates, especially refined sugar will keep you from sleeping well.

4. Magnesium supplements and melatonin taken occasionally can help.
Herman
2021-08-19 12:29:51 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
1. Don’t dwell on all the bad news that has intensified since the onset of Covid.
Sleep is overrated, and I mean continuous sleep thru the night.

It rarely happens I'm not awake for some time between three and four a.m. and I love hearing my girlfriend's breathing or, should she be awake, too, we'll exchange some soothing words and go back to sleep.

I have learned myself not to get "up". Just stay in bed and enjoy that unique sense of being alive without having to do anything. I have trained myself (long ago) not to think any day thoughts.
gggg gggg
2022-10-24 22:40:52 UTC

Oscar
2022-10-14 01:42:47 UTC
Love
Not true. The promise of Ronald Reagan on Mount Rushmore keeps you up at night. "Tear—DOWN—this—wall!"
gggg gggg
2021-12-29 08:09:46 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lewis-thomas/late-night-thoughts-listening-mahlers-ninth/
gggg gggg
2022-10-13 15:34:39 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lewis-thomas/late-night-thoughts-listening-mahlers-ninth/
https://neurosciencenews.com/stress-sleep-21413/
Andrew Clarke
2022-10-14 01:54:43 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
Little Jewish guy goes into a Catholic church and enters the confessional. The priest says 'Bless you, my son. What do you want to confess?" He says, "Last night I went to a bar, chatted up three college girls and took them to a motel, where I kept 'em screaming all night long." The priest says, "For your penance, say 12 Hail Marys ... " The guy interrupts him: "I can't do that, Father, I'm not a Catholic." The priest says, "Then why are you telling me?" The little guy says, "Listen, Buster, I'm 86 years old. I'm tellin' everybody ... "

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Paul Alsing
2022-10-14 02:25:26 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by gggg gggg
Little Jewish guy goes into a Catholic church and enters the confessional. The priest says 'Bless you, my son. What do you want to confess?" He says, "Last night I went to a bar, chatted up three college girls and took them to a motel, where I kept 'em screaming all night long." The priest says, "For your penance, say 12 Hail Marys ... " The guy interrupts him: "I can't do that, Father, I'm not a Catholic." The priest says, "Then why are you telling me?" The little guy says, "Listen, Buster, I'm 86 years old. I'm tellin' everybody ... "
A *very* old joke... I was telling this one in the 60's... but still very funny!