I always listen to music as I go to sleep - I put on a playlist in iTunes or YT. So the question is what works and what doesn't.
List of music that works:
- my own songs, best of all. I have an album of 12 songs made in Garageband
- Modern Gospel - Clarke Sisters, Dorinda, Kim Burrell etc
- Garage tracks in YT
- Bill Evans trio with Gomez and Zigmund
- Jazz singers slow numbers, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Carol Welsman, Diane Shuur, Dianne Reeves, Shirley Horne, Lou Rawls, Dr John, Taj Mahal etc
- Steely Dan/Donald Fagen tracks, selected
- Debussy Preludes Book 1
- Beethoven selected piano sonatas
- Schubert selected piano sonatas
- Wagner Meistersinger
- Ravel L'Enfant et les Sortileges
I find that vocal music tends to work and piano is pretty good. Orchestral not good - too many dynamic contrasts. Bach doesn't work either.