OT - Is there anything that keeps you up at night?
2021-08-19 05:05:10 UTC
???????????????
HT
2021-08-19 08:24:44 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
No.

2021-08-19 13:58:00 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
???????????????
No.
Henk
Acid reflux
Arthritis
post nasal drip
anxiety, but not since I retired 11 years ago.
Herman
2021-08-19 09:15:58 UTC
Love
Andy Evans
2021-08-19 09:33:32 UTC
Anything that requires creative thinking. If I'm writing a book I wake up constantly with ideas. Right now I'm designing and building tube amplifiers and I think about circuits during the night when I wake. I also write songs and I ruminate over the structure, melody lines and harmonies. Anything like that. I wake up 3 to 5 times in the night.

One thing that usually sends me to sleep is music, which I play every night when I go to bed. It's usually my gospel playlist in iTunes - I find modern gospel music soothing. Occasionally it will be Bill Evans, Schubert sonatas or Debussy, but the piano is a more percussive sound. Around 5am it tends to be Ravel's orchestral work - Tombeau de Couperin, Ma Mere L'Oye. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
JohnGavin
2021-08-19 11:54:26 UTC
1. Don’t dwell on all the bad news that has intensified since the onset of Covid. While you don’t want to bury your head in the sand, some people seem to become disaster addicts. Bad news brings higher ratings on news shows and in print than good news. It also continues in your mind after the broadcast ends!

2. Don’t take anything caffeinated after 11 am.

3. Too many carbohydrates, especially refined sugar will keep you from sleeping well.

4. Magnesium supplements and melatonin taken occasionally can help.
Herman
2021-08-19 12:29:51 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
1. Don’t dwell on all the bad news that has intensified since the onset of Covid.
Sleep is overrated, and I mean continuous sleep thru the night.

It rarely happens I'm not awake for some time between three and four a.m. and I love hearing my girlfriend's breathing or, should she be awake, too, we'll exchange some soothing words and go back to sleep.

I have learned myself not to get "up". Just stay in bed and enjoy that unique sense of being alive without having to do anything. I have trained myself (long ago) not to think any day thoughts.
gggg gggg
2021-12-29 08:09:46 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/lewis-thomas/late-night-thoughts-listening-mahlers-ninth/