triple concerto beethoven
Add Reply
Malcolm Y
2021-11-12 22:34:12 UTC
Hi
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
thanks
jagareco
2021-11-12 23:04:10 UTC
hi, you can try the same soloists, but with Kondrashin. there is notorious difference in intensity between the two versions
Bob Harper
2021-11-13 06:17:06 UTC
it's not very good Beethoven
Certainly not compared with the preceding opus number. Even so, it's a
pleasant work.

I have the Zinman (with Bronfman, Shaham,, and Mørk). I've not listened
to it for a while, but remember it as quite good; the concertos in that
series are much better, IMO, than the symphonies.

And I wouldn't mind hearing this one:
https://tinyurl.com/9rvhcvcz

Bob Harper
MELMOTH
Oistrak/Knuchecivsky/Oborine/Golovanov...
Chris J.
2021-11-13 12:36:06 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
Zehetmair, Hagen, Aimard, COE / Harnoncourt (Teldec/Warner)

Conunova, Clein, Kadouch, Insula Orch. / Equilbey (Erato/Warner)

On both CDs coupled with the Choral Fantasy.

Chrus
Richard deRabelais
2021-11-13 15:43:27 UTC
Istomin, Rose, Stern, on Sony - a long-term favourite of mine.
thanks
Ricardo Jimenez
2021-11-13 18:47:08 UTC
it's not very good Beethoven
I have been told by somebody who performed the piano part that it is
more fun to play than listen to.
Bob Harper
2021-11-13 20:23:03 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
it's not very good Beethoven
I have been told by somebody who performed the piano part that it is
more fun to play than listen to.
Wasn't it written for Archduke Rudolph (who apparently neer played it),
who was a a decent amateur but no virtuoso?

Bob Harper
Johannes Roehl
That's what I read when I first encountered the piece over 30 years ago but I think it has been debunked, or is at least rather dubious as Rudof only became officially Beethoven's student in 1808 whereas the concerto was already written in 1804 and there is no evidence that he ever played the piece (I think Beethoven played the part himself at the premiere). I think that the Triple would be one of the handful of most famous cello concertos if it was one (the cellist Nikolaus Kraft of the premiere was quite famous) but because of the odd combination and the extraordinary quality of Beethoven's other concertos it's a bit in the shade.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-11-13 20:24:06 UTC
I once accompanied this concerto (playing the orchestral reduction) in an audition. Yes, it was fun in a way, but, with the solo piano in between the string players and me, it was a bit harder than usual for me to hear them! ;-)
Alan P Dawes
2021-11-14 17:07:19 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
Hi
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
thanks
The first CD I had of this work in the late 1980s was conducted by the
former UK prime minster Edward Heath. Instead of star soloists, I think
using the Trio Zingara means that they are used to listening to each other
and interacting. The orchestra is the English Chamber Orchestra on IMP
CLassics PCD 917 recorded 10th/11th Oct 1988.

I've not tried it but it seems to be available on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/5nfhqp51qsKZr3bA9BDcjN

There's more info in an article in the LA Times of Dec 1989:
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-12-17-ca-1637-story.html

and a review in Gramophone:
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/beethovenboccherini-concertos

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Frank Berger
2021-11-14 18:03:14 UTC
Post by Alan P Dawes
Post by Malcolm Y
Hi
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
thanks
The first CD I had of this work in the late 1980s was conducted by the
former UK prime minster Edward Heath. Instead of star soloists, I think
using the Trio Zingara means that they are used to listening to each other
and interacting. The orchestra is the English Chamber Orchestra on IMP
CLassics PCD 917 recorded 10th/11th Oct 1988.
Pretty sure it was 912 not 917.
Seems like there are big orchestral versions of the triple concerto as well as ones that are more chamber-like, as this one. I would also mention Equilbey conducting the Insula Orchestra with soloists Conunova, Clein and Kadouch as being in this category.
Alan P Dawes
2021-11-15 10:52:33 UTC
Post by Alan P Dawes
https://open.spotify.com/album/5nfhqp51qsKZr3bA9BDcjN
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1989-12-17-ca-1637-story.html
https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/beethovenboccherini-concertos
Alan
Seems like there are big orchestral versions of the triple concerto as
well as ones that are more chamber-like, as this one. I would also
mention Equilbey conducting the Insula Orchestra with soloists Conunova,
Clein and Kadouch as being in this category.
I've just checked the version I have it is IMP PCD917. IMP PCD912 is
Pastoral and Egmont with Wyn Morris conducting the LSO see:

https://www.casals-classical.com/products/morris-lso-beethoven-pastorale-sym-egmont-ov-imp-classics-pcd-912-ddd

However the same triple concerto CD but released by Carlton Classics not
IMP Classics has a different cover and as you say has the number 30367
00912. See:

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/fb64e653-2c90-4432-981e-e6daf4eb0521

Confusing!

Alan
Alan
Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Frank Berger
2021-11-15 12:38:08 UTC
Post by Alan P Dawes
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Alan P Dawes
[...]
Confusing indeed. Here's the one I have, with the label name IMP right on the front, yet DISCOGS says the label is Carleton.

https://www.discogs.com/release/10542512-Beethoven-Boccherini-Felix-Schmidt-Trio-Zingara-English-Chamber-Orchestra-Sir-Edward-Heath-Triple-Co
wkasimer
2021-11-15 19:18:40 UTC
Post by Malcolm Y
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
It's not one of my favorite works, but this performance is my favorite:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195SWZWI

Superb performances of the coupled Beethoven overtures don't hurt.
Frank Berger
2021-11-15 20:10:23 UTC
Post by wkasimer
Post by Malcolm Y
who for the triple concerto of beethoven ?
I only have oistrak/rostopovitch/richter/karajan
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195SWZWI
Superb performances of the coupled Beethoven overtures don't hurt.
Well, one can buy it there for $50 or here for $15

https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Triple-Concerto-Sol-Gabetta/dp/B00HQ6DGJI