Brahms Symphonies/Walter/New York Phil
Add Reply
Lawrence Chalmers
2021-03-30 17:18:00 UTC
I'm listening to these recordings on a French Sony issue. Where were these recorded at? And when?
Sol L. Siegel
2021-03-30 17:50:39 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
I'm listening to these recordings on a French Sony issue. Where
were these recorded at? And when?
Columbia 30th St. Studio, NYC, 1953 (Overtures in 1951).

This according to my United Archives box set.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
These are also in the Sony/Walter "Complete Columbia Album" box.
Lawrence Chalmers
I thought so. So many great performances were so poorly recorded there. On the other hand their pop recordings were much better...I'd love to see photos of that venue...anyone know of any?
Steven Reveyoso
2021-03-31 23:28:55 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
I'm listening to these recordings on a French Sony issue. Where
were these recorded at? And when?
Columbia 30th St. Studio, NYC, 1953 (Overtures in 1951).
This according to my United Archives box set.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
These are also in the Sony/Walter "Complete Columbia Album" box.
I thought so. So many great performances were so poorly recorded there. On the other hand their pop recordings were much better...I'd love to see photos of that venue...anyone know of any?
The Symphony No.4 and the Hungarian Dances 17, 1, 3 & 10 (performed in this order in concert as well as on record) were recorded February 12, 1951. The Academic Festival Overtture was recorded March 12, 1951 (same session as Beethoven 7Th). The Tragic Overture and Haydn Variations were recorded in February, 1953 while Symphonies 1-3 were recorded in December of the same year. Later, in December, 1954, the Double Concerto and German Requiem were recorded and, previously, in 1941, the Song of Destiny, Sung in English was recorded. Except for the Song of Destiny, which was recorded at Liederkranz Hall, all works were recorded at Columbia's 30th Street Studio. Though recorded in 1954, the German Requiem wasn't issued until 1972.