Danil Shafran - Bach: Cello Suites
Add Reply
O***@aol.com
2020-06-26 09:43:55 UTC
On Melodiya and also DOREMI Legendary Treasures. Anyone have it? How is. It?
James Goodzeit
2020-06-26 14:56:33 UTC
I have the Daniil Shafran Edition on Brilliant, so I don't know if this is the same recording, and it is missing ##1 and 6. I would say that his vibrato is hideous, being so wide it sounds like every note is trilled.
wkasimer
2020-06-26 15:03:31 UTC
I have it complete on Melodiya. And I agree with the above. It's not merely unidiomatic - it's awful.
Frank Berger
2020-06-26 15:28:50 UTC
Post by James Goodzeit
Post by O***@aol.com
On Melodiya and also DOREMI Legendary Treasures. Anyone have it? How is. It?
I have the Daniil Shafran Edition on Brilliant, so I don't know if this is the same recording, and it is missing ##1 and 6. I would say that his vibrato is hideous, being so wide it sounds like every note is trilled.
I believe they are the same recordings. I wonder way
Brilliant didn't include 1 and 6. Also Brilliant got the
recording dates wrong on some of them, I think.
Steve Emerson
2020-06-26 16:49:38 UTC
Post by James Goodzeit
Post by O***@aol.com
On Melodiya and also DOREMI Legendary Treasures. Anyone have it? How is. It?
I have the Daniil Shafran Edition on Brilliant, so I don't know if this is the same recording, and it is missing ##1 and 6. I would say that his vibrato is hideous, being so wide it sounds like every note is trilled.
I believe they are the same recordings. I wonder way
Brilliant didn't include 1 and 6. Also Brilliant got the
recording dates wrong on some of them, I think.
I forget the details, but Yedang's release was also limited to 2-5.

SE.
Frank Berger
2020-06-26 16:57:57 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by James Goodzeit
Post by O***@aol.com
On Melodiya and also DOREMI Legendary Treasures. Anyone have it? How is. It?
I have the Daniil Shafran Edition on Brilliant, so I don't know if this is the same recording, and it is missing ##1 and 6. I would say that his vibrato is hideous, being so wide it sounds like every note is trilled.
I believe they are the same recordings. I wonder way
Brilliant didn't include 1 and 6. Also Brilliant got the
recording dates wrong on some of them, I think.
I forget the details, but Yedang's release was also limited to 2-5.
SE.
Same mistaken dates too. Also released on Russia
Revelation. I forget where I read the dates were wrong on
some of them.
AB
2020-06-27 01:15:29 UTC
Post by James Goodzeit
Post by O***@aol.com
On Melodiya and also DOREMI Legendary Treasures. Anyone have it? How is. It?
I have the Daniil Shafran Edition on Brilliant, so I don't know if this is the same recording, and it is missing ##1 and 6. I would say that his vibrato is hideous, being so wide it sounds like every note is trilled.
the vibrato is too intense, too fast,not too wide.. but the biggest problem with his playing IMO is his mannered approach

AB
Néstor Castiglione
2020-06-27 02:30:48 UTC
I'll have to disagree with the majority here: Shafran's Bach suites are marvelous. His readings of the Cello Suites are rich-toned, opulently phrased, and emphatically expressive. In many respects it is almost like hearing Bach as Brahms. That in and of itself is a revealing display of how JSB exerted a strong fascination on the German Romantics. More importantly Shafran's performance reminds you that once upon a time this music was regarded as a living lingua franca, not as ossified rituals codified in a dead language. It's the kind of recording that may send HIP adherents into conniptions. No problems for me as I'm not a fan of the HIP movement, but if you are you may want to keep your nitroglycerin handy.

The Melodiya reissue is the way to go. Avoid, avoid, for the love of all creatures great and small avoid the Doremi. Like virtually everything else they've reissued their transfers of the Shafran Bach are execrable.
m***@gmail.com
2020-06-27 03:35:42 UTC
Post by Néstor Castiglione
I'll have to disagree with the majority here: Shafran's Bach suites are marvelous. His readings of the Cello Suites are rich-toned, opulently phrased, and emphatically expressive. In many respects it is almost like hearing Bach as Brahms. That in and of itself is a revealing display of how JSB exerted a strong fascination on the German Romantics. More importantly Shafran's performance reminds you that once upon a time this music was regarded as a living lingua franca, not as ossified rituals codified in a dead language. It's the kind of recording that may send HIP adherents into conniptions. No problems for me as I'm not a fan of the HIP movement, but if you are you may want to keep your nitroglycerin handy.
I think Nestor has got it just right and I'm for the most part an HIP fan. Shafran's Bach is magnificent, rich and emotionally direct. He speaks directly to your heart and that's my kind of music making.

The Brilliant box also has his wonderful recording of the Schostakovich Cello Sonata with Dmitri himself at the piano. Simply marvelous!
Mandryka
2020-06-27 10:19:02 UTC
I just listened to the first movement of the 5th suite. The vibrato is wide but controlled and IMO not a great problem. With all due respect to James Goodzeit, it does NOT sound like "like every note is trilled"

He was entertaining in the prelude, but all these romantic throwbacks are fun in slow portentous music, they are probably all slow portentous people.

The problem is in the fugue. Nestor says that it's "emphatically expressive" and m41 says that it's "emotionally direct. He speaks directly to your heart . . ." Well the fugue just sounded incoherent, fussy and cold.

I bet he's listenable in the sarabandes, maybe the allemandes, and rubbish in the gigues and minuettos. They're all the same.