Backhaus Complete Decca
Add Reply
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-17 03:56:39 UTC
I see this is scheduled for release in a couple weeks. Any opinions??? Too Teutonic????
John Fowler
2019-08-18 12:13:35 UTC
Beethoven was too Teutonic.
John Fowler
2019-08-18 17:07:06 UTC
Tu-Tu Tonic
drh8h
2019-08-26 21:14:16 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
I see this is scheduled for release in a couple weeks. Any opinions??? Too Teutonic????
Tu-Tu Tonic
For the best of Backhaus, the easiest route is the two-disc set of Chopin, etc. on APR and the three Brahms discs on Naxos. All transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn. The two-disc Beethoven APR is good too, and well transferred. Brahms and the Chopin Etudes show him at his best. As for the Deccas, still hope it will be issued eventually.

DH
Bozo
2019-08-27 01:05:55 UTC
Fortunately, I acquired very cheaply the Pearl 2-cd set of his 1908-25 acoustics, a bit of a different pianist then: https://tinyurl.com/y3k3ounu
J.A.W.
2019-08-30 12:27:56 UTC
A couple of days ago I asked Decca Classics about the Wilhelm Backhaus box and they just told me it doesn't have a confirmed release date, so the dates mentioned by the various stores are not correct.
John Fowler
2019-09-04 14:24:26 UTC
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 00:42:10 UTC
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 14:34:13 UTC
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Frank Berger
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
J.A.W.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
Frank Berger
2019-09-06 15:22:47 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
I think I'm stuck in August. I totally didn't realize today is Sept. 6.
Presto also lists today as the release date.
J.A.W.
Presto now lists 9/20 as the release date, but they're the only internet store I've checked that does name a date, all others say it's either unavailabale or "usually released within 1 to 2 months". I wonder if it's going to be released at all. There seem to be problems with the box, though I have no idea what exactly is going on - or not.
Frank Berger
I don't see how a delay suggests it may not be released at all.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 16:54:58 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
[...]
That's not what I said, I was just wondering if we'll see the box at all.

Someone I know got a message from internet store Bull Moose a few weeks ago that the box wouldn't be released, but no other store has suggested that. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
J.A.W.
That's not what I said, I was just wondering if we're going to see the box at all.
Frank Berger
2019-09-06 18:56:09 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
[...]
That's what I meant. I don't see how a delay should make you wonder
that. Maybe I'm dumb, but to me a delay is a delay. Until it isn't.
Invocation
The Japanese retailers postpone the date to "late Sep." so I think 9/20 might be the next possible release date
drh8h
2019-09-06 15:25:14 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
The whole complete box phenom may be running out of steam. Whatever happened to the complete Casals Sony was going to release?

Dennis
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 20:14:26 UTC
Decca told me the Backhaus box "does not have a confirmed release date" (their words). They didn't say it was delayed.
John Fowler
2019-09-08 13:31:41 UTC
As you may have guessed, Amazon UK did not mail this on September 6.
Their web page seems to think it was released on September 6, but takes one to two months to ship. Strange.
Also the Amazon UK web page is asking buyers to post reviews - something that only happens after a product is released.
Hank Drake
2019-09-08 13:52:04 UTC
There are two reviews posted for the Raymond Lewenthal box, which was delayed until October due to two more CDs worth of material being included. There's probably some algorithm tied to the original release date which allows reviews to be posted.

Hank