Backhaus Complete Decca
Add Reply
RANDY WOLFGANG
2019-08-17 03:56:39 UTC
I see this is scheduled for release in a couple weeks. Any opinions??? Too Teutonic????
John Fowler
2019-08-18 12:13:35 UTC
Beethoven was too Teutonic.
John Fowler
2019-08-18 17:07:06 UTC
Tu-Tu Tonic
drh8h
2019-08-26 21:14:16 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by RANDY WOLFGANG
I see this is scheduled for release in a couple weeks. Any opinions??? Too Teutonic????
Tu-Tu Tonic
For the best of Backhaus, the easiest route is the two-disc set of Chopin, etc. on APR and the three Brahms discs on Naxos. All transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn. The two-disc Beethoven APR is good too, and well transferred. Brahms and the Chopin Etudes show him at his best. As for the Deccas, still hope it will be issued eventually.

DH
Bozo
2019-08-27 01:05:55 UTC
Fortunately, I acquired very cheaply the Pearl 2-cd set of his 1908-25 acoustics, a bit of a different pianist then: https://tinyurl.com/y3k3ounu
J.A.W.
2019-08-30 12:27:56 UTC
A couple of days ago I asked Decca Classics about the Wilhelm Backhaus box and they just told me it doesn't have a confirmed release date, so the dates mentioned by the various stores are not correct.
John Fowler
2019-09-04 14:24:26 UTC
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 00:42:10 UTC
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 14:34:13 UTC
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Frank Berger
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
J.A.W.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
Frank Berger
2019-09-06 15:22:47 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
I think I'm stuck in August. I totally didn't realize today is Sept. 6.
Presto also lists today as the release date.
J.A.W.
Presto now lists 9/20 as the release date, but they're the only internet store I've checked that does name a date, all others say it's either unavailabale or "usually released within 1 to 2 months". I wonder if it's going to be released at all. There seem to be problems with the box, though I have no idea what exactly is going on - or not.
Frank Berger
I don't see how a delay suggests it may not be released at all.
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 16:54:58 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
[...]
That's not what I said, I was just wondering if we'll see the box at all.

Someone I know got a message from internet store Bull Moose a few weeks ago that the box wouldn't be released, but no other store has suggested that. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
J.A.W.
That's not what I said, I was just wondering if we're going to see the box at all.
Frank Berger
2019-09-06 18:56:09 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
[...]
That's what I meant. I don't see how a delay should make you wonder
that. Maybe I'm dumb, but to me a delay is a delay. Until it isn't.
Invocation
The Japanese retailers postpone the date to "late Sep." so I think 9/20 might be the next possible release date
drh8h
2019-09-06 15:25:14 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
Post by J.A.W.
Post by John Fowler
Today Septeember 4 the Amazon UK website still lists Backhaus box for September 6.
I pre-ordered it and will let everyone know what happens.
Now it says "temporarily out of stock". Decca couldn't tell me if and when it will actually be released.
And now it says "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months".
Which it will be, if released on schedule on Sept. 6.
No release today. Again, Decca told me there's no confirmed release date for this box.
The whole complete box phenom may be running out of steam. Whatever happened to the complete Casals Sony was going to release?

Dennis
J.A.W.
2019-09-06 20:14:26 UTC
Decca told me the Backhaus box "does not have a confirmed release date" (their words). They didn't say it was delayed.
Frank Berger
2019-09-20 16:46:07 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Decca told me the Backhaus box "does not have a confirmed release date" (their words). They didn't say it was delayed.
Again, why not having a "confirmed release date" suggests to you, or
makes you worry, or whatever, that it won't be released at all is
completely beyond me. They started this project with the intent of
releasing it. It is much more likely, it seems to me, that technical,
copyright or other glitches will cause a delay, than a cancellation.
Say it doesn't have a confirmed release date simply means they can't set
a release date yet. It's not the first time something like this happens.

If the project is, in fact, cancelled, feel free you say, "I told you so."
drh8h
2019-09-20 18:57:32 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Decca told me the Backhaus box "does not have a confirmed release date" (their words). They didn't say it was delayed.
Again, why not having a "confirmed release date" suggests to you, or
makes you worry, or whatever, that it won't be released at all is
completely beyond me. They started this project with the intent of
releasing it. It is much more likely, it seems to me, that technical,
copyright or other glitches will cause a delay, than a cancellation.
Say it doesn't have a confirmed release date simply means they can't set
a release date yet. It's not the first time something like this happens.
If the project is, in fact, cancelled, feel free you say, "I told you so."
I can't imagine any of the music is still in copyright. At least in later years, he stayed with the tried and old and true.

DH
Invocation
How long are recordings protected under EU's copyright law now? I think it is 70 years? If it is so, then anything after 1949 are still copyright protected. But that should not be an issue for Decca as the set contains no new publications.
drh8h
2019-09-21 03:23:06 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
[...]
The protection is for anything after 1962. Those already out of copyright were grandfathered or mothered when it was changed.

DH
Invocation
OK, but why copyright will be a possible issue here? Decca should have the copyright anyway, right?
drh8h
2019-09-21 12:24:03 UTC
Post by drh8h
Post by Frank Berger
Post by J.A.W.
[...]
They probably just couldn't make the release date. I have always wondered how long it takes from conception to issue for these boxes.

DH
m***@gmail.com
2019-09-28 03:44:27 UTC
New release schedule on Amazon.it: November 15th, 2019.

Paolo
Invocation
2019-10-07 22:53:13 UTC
Nov. 15 should be the finalized date. Amazon UK and Presto have also updated to this date
J.A.W.
2019-10-08 01:13:37 UTC
I asked Decca UK again a couple of days ago and they told me there's still no confirmed release date for the Backhaus. I mentioned the November 15 date on Amazon in a follow-up e-mail, but they haven't responded yet.
Frank Berger
2019-10-08 01:22:44 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Invocation
Post by m***@gmail.com
New release schedule on Amazon.it: November 15th, 2019.
Paolo
Nov. 15 should be the finalized date. Amazon UK and Presto have also updated to this date
I asked Decca UK again a couple of days ago and they told me there's still no confirmed release date for the Backhaus. I mentioned the November 15 date on Amazon in a follow-up e-mail, but they haven't responded yet.
You always look on the dark side. You spoke to an individual at Decca
who might or might not know what they are talking about.
Frank Berger
2019-10-08 01:28:26 UTC
Post by J.A.W.
Post by Invocation
Post by m***@gmail.com
New release schedule on Amazon.it: November 15th, 2019.
Paolo
Nov. 15 should be the finalized date. Amazon UK and Presto have also
updated to this date
I asked Decca UK again a couple of days ago and they told me there's
still no confirmed release date for the Backhaus. I mentioned the
November 15 date on Amazon in a follow-up e-mail, but they haven't
responded yet.
You always look on the dark side.  You spoke to an individual at Decca
who might or might not know what they are talking about.
I might add that I recently spoke a person who worked at a kosher
grocery that was rumored to be closing. He knowingly confided in me
that the chain, based in NY, was doing OK but the Baltimore store was in
trouble because "you can't charge NY prices in Baltimore." Turns out he
was 180 degrees wrong. The chain declared bankruptcy soon after this
conversation. First they sold off the Baltimore store, which was
profitable.
Invocation
Presto just changed the release date from Dec 27 to Nov 15 yesterday, so I think they should get some confirmation for that update. Maybe you want to contact them about this?
J.A.W.
I just posted what they told me, that's all. If you guys don't like the info that's not my problem. Anyway, I hope the November 15 date is definitive, the Backhaus is a box I'm looking forward to, even though I already have his Decca Concerto box and the 2 Decca sets with his mono and stereo Beethoven Piano Sonata recordings.
John Fowler
2019-09-08 13:31:41 UTC
As you may have guessed, Amazon UK did not mail this on September 6.
Their web page seems to think it was released on September 6, but takes one to two months to ship. Strange.
Also the Amazon UK web page is asking buyers to post reviews - something that only happens after a product is released.
Hank Drake
2019-09-08 13:52:04 UTC
There are two reviews posted for the Raymond Lewenthal box, which was delayed until October due to two more CDs worth of material being included. There's probably some algorithm tied to the original release date which allows reviews to be posted.

Hank
J.A.W.
2019-10-08 09:51:14 UTC
Good news: Just got a reply from Decca UK to my follow-up e-mail and they confirmed the November 15 release date.
Invocation
2019-10-08 19:33:52 UTC
在 2019年10月8日星期二 UTC-4上午5:51:18,J.A.W.写道: