109 CD Korean Barbiroli set
2019-05-24 11:59:01 UTC
This will be a must buy for me.

https://tower.jp/item/4913746/

https://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2019/05/24/1117
msw design
2019-05-24 14:40:55 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
This will be a must buy for me.
https://tower.jp/item/4913746/
https://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2019/05/24/1117
Artis? You know what's in it? It's hard for me to fathom there could be much here I don't already have.
Frank Berger
Randy said it is a must buy for HIM, not YOU.
msw design
2019-05-24 17:41:28 UTC
Post by msw design
Artis? You know what's in it? It's hard for me to fathom there could be much here I don't already have.
Randy said it is a must buy for HIM, not YOU.
You misinterpret me. What I meant was that I was considering giving Randy all my Barbirolli CDs.

Haha. Since talking about myself didn't really work out, I'll try again.

Randy, why is this a must buy for you? Are your Barbirolli holdings thin? Or is there something rare here?

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Frank. ;-)
Frank Berger
2019-05-24 18:27:57 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Artis? You know what's in it? It's hard for me to fathom there could be much here I don't already have.
Randy said it is a must buy for HIM, not YOU.
You misinterpret me. What I meant was that I was considering giving Randy all my Barbirolli CDs.
Haha. Since talking about myself didn't really work out, I'll try again.
Randy, why is this a must buy for you? Are your Barbirolli holdings thin? Or is there something rare here?
Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Frank. ;-)
I was afraid my remark would come across as hostile, which wasn't how it
was intended. Thanks for taking it well.
msw design
2019-05-24 18:52:36 UTC
Oh, it could have, but once I saw it was you, I knew this was a technical point, and probably a bit tongue-in-cheek. Pays to be a known quantity, right? :-)
Randy Lane
2019-05-24 18:35:52 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Artis? You know what's in it? It's hard for me to fathom there could be much here I don't already have.
Randy said it is a must buy for HIM, not YOU.
You misinterpret me. What I meant was that I was considering giving Randy all my Barbirolli CDs.
Haha. Since talking about myself didn't really work out, I'll try again.
Randy, why is this a must buy for you? Are your Barbirolli holdings thin? Or is there something rare here?
Thanks for keeping me on my toes, Frank. ;-)
I only own some of the "staple" EMI recordings, like RVW, Sibelius, some Elgar.

Certainly will not have a great many duplications
msw design
2019-05-24 18:56:52 UTC
Lucky you!
Randy Lane
2019-05-24 17:17:49 UTC
Tower's listing is in a pdf download, but is all in Japanese.
I am sure there will be an HMV listing soon with more elaborate contents details.
My only disappointment with the Korean boxes from Artis, Venias, and Ars Nova (I have 30 of them so far) is the frequent exclusion of concerto recordings. From the Tower description that does not appear to be the case this time, so I am extremely confident this will be a must buy for me even before seeing the contents.
msw design
2019-05-24 17:45:20 UTC
Ah, questions answered. So which among the the is the most irreplaceable?
Invocation
2019-05-24 19:25:53 UTC
在 2019年5月24日星期五 UTC-4下午1:17:54,Randy Lane写道:
Do those Korean bargain boxes come with booklets, or just CDs in plain sleeves?
Randy Lane
2019-05-24 19:56:18 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Tower's listing is in a pdf download, but is all in Japanese.
I am sure there will be an HMV listing soon with more elaborate contents details.
My only disappointment with the Korean boxes from Artis, Venias, and Ars Nova (I have 30 of them so far) is the frequent exclusion of concerto recordings. From the Tower description that does not appear to be the case this time, so I am extremely confident this will be a must buy for me even before seeing the contents.
Do those Korean bargain boxes come with booklets, or just CDs in plain sleeves?
Booklets included, but only with track and recording info.
No commentary.
Invocation
Thanks for the info! Does the recording info contains details like what is the source used for the issue?
Frank Berger
2019-05-24 20:36:57 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Tower's listing is in a pdf download, but is all in Japanese.
I am sure there will be an HMV listing soon with more elaborate contents details.
My only disappointment with the Korean boxes from Artis, Venias, and Ars Nova (I have 30 of them so far) is the frequent exclusion of concerto recordings. From the Tower description that does not appear to be the case this time, so I am extremely confident this will be a must buy for me even before seeing the contents.
Google translation of the Tower PDF file follows. Question: if Tower
doesn't sell outside Japan, why is there any English on their web site
at all? Why do English searches work? Strange?

Page 1
1/37
A PORTRAIT OF SIR JOHN BARBIROLLI
Title No: AT028
Barcode: 0651307880187

CD 01
Dvorak
Symphony No. 9 E minor Op. 95 "From the New World"
Recording: Sep. 3, 1957, Stereo
Symphony No. 7 in D minor Op. 70
Recording: August 7, 1957, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 02
Dvorak
Symphony No. 8 in G major Op. 88
Recording: June 28-29, 1957, Stereo
Scherzo Capriccioso Op. 66
Recording: June 28-29, 1957, Stereo
Serenade for the Orchestra of Music Op. 44
Recording: August 3, 1957, Stereo
Page 2
2/37
Halle Orchestra
CD 03
Haydn
Symphony No. 83 in G minor "Mendori"
Recording: Dec. 15 & 17, 1949
Symphony No. 88 in G major "V"
Recording: August 31, 1953
Symphony No. 96 in D major "miracle"
Recording: April 5, 1952
Halle Orchestra
CD 04
Wagner
Overtures & Preludes
"Lienti" Overture
"Tan Heuser"-Music of Venusberg
"Tristan and Isolde"-Prelude, Death of Love
"Nuremberg's Meister Zinger"-prelude, dances of apprentices, admission
of great singers
Siegfried Pastoral
Recording: Nov. 20, 1938
New York Philharmonic
CD 05
Beethoven
Symphony No. 1 C major Op. 21
Recording: Jan. 1, 1958, Stereo
Symphony No. 8 in F major Op. 93
Recording: Jan. 1, 1958, Stereo
"Leonore Overture" No. 3, Op. 72b
Recording: April 1959, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 06
Beethoven
Symphony No. 3 in E major, Op. 55 "Heroes"
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
Recording: May 18-19, 1967, Stereo
Page 3
3/37
BBC Symphony Orchestra
CD 07
Beethoven
Symphony No. 5 in C minor Op. 67
Recording: May 19, 1947
"Egmont" Overture Op. 84
Recording: April 28, 1949
"The Prometheus Creation" Overture Op. 43
Recording: August 13, 1967
Tchaikovsky
Serenade C major Op. 48 for string music
Recording: Sep. 1-2, 1964, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 08
Beethoven
Symphony No. 5 in C minor Op. 67
Recording: Dec. 1,1966
"Egmont" Overture Op. 84
Recording: Dec. 1,1966
Symphony No. 7 in A major Op. 92
Recording: April 24, 1968, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 09
Berlio's
Fantasy Symphony Op. 14
Recording: Sep. 2 & 3, 1959, Stereo
Dramatic story "Three orchestras from the punishment of Faust", Op. 24
Demon's Menuet
Fairy dance
Hungarian March
Recording: May 21 & 22, 1957, Stereo
Overture "Roman Carnival" Op. 9
Recording: Dec. 31, 1966, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 10
Tchaikovsky
Page 4
4/37
Symphony No. 4 in F minor Op. 36
Recording: May 27, 1957, Stereo
"Swan Lake" Op. 20 (Excerpt)
I. Scene (Swan Theme)
II. Introduction & Dance of the Queen of the Swans (Act 2) *
III. Dance of the little Swans (Act 2)
IV. Waltz (Act 1)
V. Hungarian Dance (Czardas) (Act 3)
Recording: Oct. 17, 1950
Laurance Turner * violin
Rimsky Korsakov
Spanish fantastic song Op. 34
Recording: Dec. 20, 1953
Lyadow
Symphonic Poem "The Magical Lake" Op. 62
Recording: Dec. 23, 1953
Halle Orchestra
CD 11
Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 5 in E minor Op. 64
Slavic March Op 31
Recording: April 1959, Stereo
String Quartet No. 1-Andante Cantabile
Recording: August 10, 1957, Stereo
Allenski
Variations on a theme of Tchaikovsky, Op. 35a *
Recording: 1964, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
London Symphony Orchestra *
CD 12
Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 6 in B minor Op. 74 "Sadness"
Recording: August 20, 1958, Stereo
Fantasy overture "Romeo and Juliet"
Recording: June 13, 1957
Halle Orchestra
CD 13
Page 5
5/37
Bruckner
Symphony No. 3 in D minor
Recording: Dec. 18, 1964
Halle Orchestra
CD 14
Bruckner
Symphony No. 7 E major
Recording: April 26, 1967
Halle Orchestra
CD 15-16
Bruckner
Symphony No. 8 in C minor
Recording: July 17, 1963
Halle Orchestra
BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra
Britain
Symphonia da Requiem, Op. 20
Recording: August 8, 1967
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Introduction to Orchestral Music for Youth Op. 34
Recording: May 3, 1967
Halle Orchestra
CD 17
Bruckner
Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Recording: July 29, 1966
Halle Orchestra
CD 18
Mozart
Symphony No. 41 in C major KV 551 "Jupiter"
Recording: Dec. 13, 1956, Stereo
Symphony No. 29 in A major KV 201
Recording: Dec. 13, 1956, Stereo
"Magic" Overture KV 620
Recording: April 1959, Stereo
Page 6
6/37
Cassation in G major, K. 63-Andante
Recording: Feb. 4, 1950
Divertimento No. 11 in D major, K 251-Menuet
Recording: April 5, 1952
Halle Orchestra
CD 19
Elgar
"Enigma Variations" Op. 36
Recording: June 21 & 23, 1956, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
Strings Serenade in E minor Op. 20
Introduction and Allegro Op. 47 *
Recording: May 10 & 11, 1962, Stereo
Allegro String Quartet *
Sinfonia of London
Elegy Op. 58
Sigh Op. 70
Recording: July 16, 1966, Stereo
New Philharmonia Orchestra
CD 20
Elgar
Symphony No. 1 in D major Op. 55
Recording: August 28-29, 1962, Stereo
Overture "Kokane" Op. 40
Recording: August 27, 1962, Stereo
Philharmonia Orchestra
CD 21
Elgar
Symphony No. 2 in E major, Op. 63
Recording: June 8-9, 1954
Dream children Op. 43
Recording: Feb. 2, 1950
Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
Recording: Sep. 1, 1953
Halle Orchestra
Page 7
7/37
CD 22
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
Recording: June 19, 1956, Stereo
Symphony No. 2 in G major "London Symphony"
Recording: Dec. 28-29, 1957, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 23
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 5 in D major
Recording: March 8-9, 1962, Stereo
Philharmonia Orchestra
Symphony No. 7 "Antarctic Symphony"
Recording: June 15-16 & Sep. 29, 1953
Margaret Ritchie ( soprano ), Lawrance Collingwood ( organ )
Halle Orchestra & Choir
CD 24
Wagner
Orchestral Works
1 Nuremberg's Meister Zinger-Overture
2 Nuremberg's Meister Zinger-Prelude to Act 3
3 Nuremberg's Meisterzinger-apprentice dances
4 Nuremberg's Meister Zinger-Entrance to great singers
5 Tristan and Isolde-Prelude to Act 1
6 Tristan and Isolde-Death of Love
7 "Wandering Dutchman" Overture
8 "Loinglin"-Prelude to Act 1
9 "Tan Heuser" Overture
Recording: Sep. 16-17, 1959, Stereo (1-8); April, 1959, Stereo (9)
Halle Orchestra
CD 25
Schonberg
Symphonic poem "Pereas and Merizand" Op. 5
Recording: July 13-14, 1967, Stereo
Richard Strauss
Metamorphosen
Recording: August 22, 1967, Stereo
Page 8
8/37
New Philharmonia Orchestra
CD 26
Brahms
Symphony No. 1 in C minor Op. 68
Recording: Dec. 4-8, 1967, Stereo
Variations on a Theme by Haydn Op. 56a
Recording: Dec. 4, 8, 15, 18 & 19, 1967, Stereo
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 27
Brahms
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 73
Recording: Dec. 7-9, 1967, Stereo
Symphony No. 3 in F major Op. 90
Recording: Dec. 4-8, 1967, Stereo
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 28
Brahms
Symphony No. 4 in E minor Op. 98
University Celebration Overture Op. 80
Recording: Dec. 7-9, 1966 & Dec. 4-19, 1967, Stereo
Tragic Overture Op. 81
Recording: Dec. 18, 1967, Stereo
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 29
Frank
Symphony D minor
Recording: March 23-25, 1962, Stereo
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
Arthur Butterworth (1923-2014)
Symphony No. 1 Op. 15
Recording: August 29, 1958, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 30
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43
Recording: Oct. 3, 1964, Stereo
Page 9
9/37
Haydn
Symphony No. 92 in G major "Oxford"
Recording: Nov. 7, 1964, Stereo
Boston Symphony Orchestra
CD 31
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43
Recording: Oct. 1962, Stereo
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Symphony No.7 in C major Op. 105
Recording: Nov. 1968, Stereo
Helsinki Symphony Orchestra *
CD 32
Sibelius
1 Symphonic fantasy "The Girl of Pohyola" Op. 49
2 "Sorry Waltz" Op. 44-1
3 Symphonic poem "Finlandia" Op. 26
Karelia Suite op. 11
4 I. Intermezzo
5 II. Ballade
6 III. Alla Marcia
7 Tuonela Swan Op. 22-2
8 Renmin Kainen's Homecoming Op. 22-4
Recording: Jan. 24, 1966, Stereo (1); Jan. 23, 1966, Stereo (2-7); Jan.
23-24, 1966, Stereo (8)
Halle Orchestra
CD 33
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
1 I. Fantasia (Variazioni senza tema)
2 II. Scherzo alla marcia (per stromenti a fiato). Allegro alla marcia
3 III. Cavatina (per stromenti ad arco). Lento espressivo
4 IV. Toccata. Moderato maestoso
Recording: August 11, 1967, Stereo
5 Fantasy songs on the subject of Thomas Thalis *
6 Grinleeves Fantasy
7 Suzumebachi
8 Fantasy by Greensleeves
Five Valiants of "The Wealth and Lazarus"
Page 10
10/37
9 Adagio-
10 I.-
11 II. Allegro moderato
12 III.-
13 IV. L'istesso tempo-
14 V. Adagio
Recording: August 11, 1967, Stereo (1-4); May 17, 1962, Stereo (5); May
10-11, 1962, Stereo (6); June
16, 1954 (7); June 5, 1954 (8); Dec. 31, 1953 (9-14)
Halle Orchestra
Symphonia of London *
CD 34
Mahler
Symphony No. 1 D major "Giant"
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
Recording: May 24, 1960
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 35-36
Mahler
Symphony No. 2 in C minor "Resurrection"
Recording: June 3, 1965
Maria Stadder (Soprano), Janet Baker (Meso Soprano)
Saint Hetwig Cathedral Choir, Berlin
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 37
Mahler
Symphony No. 4 in G major
Heather Harper soprano
Berlioz
Overture "Pirate" Op. 21
Recording: Jan. 3, 1967, Stereo
BBC Symphony Orchestra
CD 38
Mahler
Symphony No. 5 in A minor
Recording: March 24, 1966
Houston Symphony Orchestra
Page 11
11/37
CD 39
Mahler
Symphony No. 6 in A minor "tragic"
Recording: Jan. 13, 1966
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 40-41
Nielsen
Symphony No. 5 Op. 50
Mahler
Symphony No. 7 E minor
Recording: Oct. 20, 1960
BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra
Halle Orchestra
CD 42
Mahler
Symphony No. 9 in D major
Recording: Jan. 10, 11, 14 & 18, 1964, Stereo
Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
CD 43-44
Mahler
Symphony No. 6 in A minor "tragic"
Recording: August 1967, Stereo
New Philharmonia Orchestra
CD 45
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 5 in D major
Recording: Feb. 17, 1944
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
Recording: May 2, 1956
Halle Orchestra
CD 46
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43
Recording: July 25-26, 1966, Stereo
Symphony No. 5 in E major, Op. 82
Recording: August 9, 1968, Stereo
Page 12
12/37
Halle Orchestra
CD 47
Mozart
Symphony No. 35 in D major KV 385 "Hafner"
Recording: August 12, 1967, Stereo
Symphony No. 40 in G minor KV 550
Recording: Sep. 14, 1962
Dvorak
The Legend Op. 59
4th song in C major-Molto maestoso
6th song in C minor-Allegro con moto
7th song in A major-Allegretto grazioso
Recording: Sep. 3, 1957, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 48
Haydn
Symphony No. 104 in D major "London"
1 I. Adagio-Allegro
2 II. Andante
3 III. Menuet-Trio
4 IV. Finale: Spiritoso
Mozart
Serenade No. 13 in G major KV 525 "Ainé Kline Nah Tom Zig"
5 I. Allegro
6 II. Romanze
7 III. Menuetto. Allegretto
8 IV. Rondo. Allegro
Parcel
9 horn pipe
Tchaikovsky
"Swan Lake" Op. 20 (Excerpt) *
10 Scene
11 Waltz
12 Dance of the little Swans
13 Scene *
14 Czardas
Antonio Brossa * violin
Grieg
"Pere Guint Suite" No. 1 Op. 46 **
15 I. Morning Mood
16 II. Åse's Death
Page 13
13/37
17 III. Anitra's Dance
18 IV. In the Hall of the Mountain King
Recording: 1928 (1-9); July 20, 1933 (10-14); Oct. 19, 1933 (15-18)
John Balbirolli Chamber Orchestra
London Philharmonic Orchestra *
John Balbiroli and his Orchestra **
CD 49
Haydn
Symphony No. 88 in G major
Recording: Jan. 10, 1959
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
Recording: Jan. 10, 1959
Horst
Suite "Planet" op. 32 (Excerpt)
I. Mars, the Bringer of War (Allegro)
II. Venus, the Bringer of Peace (Adagio)
III. Mercury, the Winged Messenger (Vivace)
VI. Uranus, the Magician (Allegro)
IV. Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity (Allegro giocoso)
Recording: Jan. 18, 1959
New York Philharmonic
CD 50
Overtures
1 Verdi: The Power of Destiny Overture
2 Nikolai: "Winzer's Hilarious Wives" Overture
3 Mendelssohn: Overture "Fingal's Cave" Op. 26
4 Weber: "Oberon" Overture J. 306
5 Humperdinck: "Hansel and Gretel" Overture
6 Donizetti: Overture to Don Pasquiare
7 Rossi-Ni: "Senuramide" Overture
8 Rossi-"The William Tell" Overture
Recording: July 14, 1967, Stereo (1); August 9, 1957, Stereo (2); May
29, 1957, Stereo (3, 8); April
1959 Stereo (4); May 3, 1957 (5); Sep. 1-2, 1958 (6); Sep. 4, 1958,
Stereo (7)
Halle Orchestra
CD 51
Mahler
Symphony No. 9 in D major
Recording: Nov. 25, 1960
Page 14
14/37
Torino RAI Symphony Orchestra
CD 52
Mendelssohn
Symphony No. 4 in A major op. 90 "Italy"
1 I. Allegro vivace
2 II. Andante con moto
3 III. Con moto moderato
4 IV. Saltarello. Presto
Rimsky Korsakov
5 Spanish Fantasy Op. 34
Richard Strauss
6 Opera "Danae's Love"-Symphonic Insistence (arrangement: Clemens Claus)
7 Suite "Sacred Knight"
Recording: April 13, 1961, Stereo (1-5); Jan. 12, 1955 (6); June 6-7,
1946 (7)
CD 53
Sibelius
Symphony No. 5 in E major, Op. 82
Recording: July 26-27, 1966, Stereo
Symphony No.7 in C major Op. 105
Recording: July 27-28, 1966, Stereo
Orchestral Suite "Pereas and Merizand", Op. 46
Recording: July 13-14, 1967, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 54
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
Rimsky Korsakov
Spanish fantastic song Op. 34
Chablier
Rhapsody for orchestra "Spain"
Recording: April 11, 1961, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 55
Page 15
15/37
Mahler
Symphony No. 1 D major "Giant"
Recording: Jan. 10, 1959
New York Philharmonic
CD 56
Mahler
Symphony No. 9 in D major
Recording: Dec. 8, 1962
New York Philharmonic
CD 57
Debussy
Symphonic poem "sea"
1 I. De l'aube à midi sur la mer. Trés lent
2 II. Jeux de vagues. Allegro
3 III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer. Animé et tumultueux
Ravel
"Daphnis and Chloe" 2nd Suite
4 I. Lever de jour
5 II. Pantomime
6 III. Danse générale
7 La Valse
Suite "Ma Mail Roi"
8 I. Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant
9 II. Le Petit Poucet
10 III. Laideronnette, impératrice des pagodes
11 IV. Les Entretiens de la Belle et de la Bête
12 V. Le Jardin féerique
Recording: Sep. 4, 1959, Stereo (1-3); Sep. 5, 1959, Stereo (4-7); May
21-22, 1957, Stereo (8-12)
Halle Orchestra
CD 58
Opera Overtures & Preludes
1 Weber: "Magical Archer" Overture
2 Weber: "Euriante" Overture
3 Verdi: Prelude from Takuhime to Act 1
4 Verdi: Prelude from Otohime to Act 2
5 Wagner: Rawenglin-Prelude to Act 1
6 Wagner: Prelude to Law Engel 3rd Act
7 Mozart: "The Marriage of Figaro" Overture
8 Verdi: The Power of Destiny Overture
9 Mascagni: "Cavalleria Rusticana" Interlude
10 Ponchi Elli: "La Joconda"-Dance of Time
Page 16
16/37
11 Rossi-"William Ter"-Ballet Music
12 Massnet: "Under the Linden Tree" (Scenes alsaciennes)
Oliver Vella (solo cello), Pat Ryan (solo clarinet)
Recording: Dec. 20, 1951 (1); June 7, 1946 (2, 5 & 6); Jan. 2, 1954 (3,
4): March 5, 1949 (7); June 12, June.
1957, Stereo (8); Sep. 4, 1958, Stereo (9, 11); August 11, 1957, Stereo
(10, 12)
Halle Orchestra
CD 59
Delius
1 Way to paradise (arrangement: beecham) **
2 Opera "Irumerin" Prelude **
3 Summer Songs **
4 Rhapsody "In the Summer Garden"
5 "La Carinda"-from the opera "Coanga" (Arranger: Funby)
6 Interlude-From the opera "Hussan"
7 Going to swallow
8 Pastoral "I went through a city with lots of people" *
Sylvia Fisher ( soprano ), Jess Walters ( baritone )
Recording: August 24, 1965, Stereo (1); July 14, 1966, Stereo (2, 3);
August 6-8, 1968, Stereo (4-7);
1950s (8)
London Symphony Orchestra **
Halle Orchestra
BBC Symphony Orchestra *
CD 60
Delius
1 Way to paradise (arrangement: beecham)
2 Opera "Irumerin" prelude
3 Listening to the first spring of cuckoo (2 pieces for small orchestra
No. 1)
4 Opera "Fenimore and Jerda"-Interlude
5 Pastoral "I went through a city with lots of people"
Sylvia Fisher ( soprano ), Jess Walters ( baritone )
6 Summer Songs
7 two watercolors
8 Pre-dawn song *
Recording: June 24, 1956, Stereo (1-4); Dec. 29, 1956, Stereo (5); Feb.
4, 1950 (6); May 1, 1948 (7);
June 7, 1929 (8)
Halle Orchestra
New Symphony Orchestra *
CD 61
Bruckner
Page 17
17/37
Symphony No. 9 in D minor
Recording: Nov. 14, 1961, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
BBC Northern Symphony Orchestra
CD 62
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
1 I. The Earl of Salisbury's Pavane
2 II. The Irish Ho Hoane
3 III. A Toye (Farnaby)
4 IV. Giles Farnaby's Dreame
5 V. The King's Hunt
Delius
6 Way to paradise (arrangement: beecham)
Walton
Partita for orchestra
7 I. Toccata. Brioso
8 II. Pastorale Siciliana. Andante comodo
9 III. Giga Burlesca. Allegro gioviale
Edward Jarman (1862-1936)
"Nell Gwyn" Dances *
10 Country Dance
11 Pastoral Dance
12 Merrymaker's Dance
Granger (1882-1961) *
13 Shepherd's Call (Sherpers Hay)
14 Molly on the shore
15 Songs of Ronderry
16 Mock Morris s
17 Rehearsal sequence and unpublished recording of Shepherd's Hey
Michael William Balff (1808-1870)
18 "Bohemian Girl" Overture **
Recording: Jan. 31, 1959, Stereo (1-9); May 3, 1957 (10-12); May 29,
1957 (13-17); Oct. 18, 1933 (18)
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Halle Orchestra *
Symphony Orchestra **
CD 63
Edmund Rabra (1901-1986)
Symphony No. 5 in B major Op. 63
Recording: Dec. 14-15, 1950
Page 18
18/37
Symphony No. 6, Op. 80
Recording: July 17, 1956
Improvisation "Loth to depart" Op. 50, No. 4) based on Fanaby's virtual
songs
Recording: Dec. 18, 1950
Halle Orchestra
CD 64
Ravel
Bolero *
Recording: 1959, Stereo
* Generally this recording is known as the recording conducted by Sir
John Barbirolli,
but please understand that this is rather open to debate.
Rimsky Korsakov
Spanish Classical, Op. 34 *
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43
Recording: May 6, 1940
Halle Orchestra *
New York Philharmonic
CD 65
Schubert
Symphony No. 4 in C minor D. 417 "tragic"
Recording: Jan. 21, 1939
Brahms
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 73
Recording: March 27, 1940
New York Philharmonic
CD 66
Frank
Symphony D minor
1 I. Lento. Allegro non troppo-Allegro
2 II. Allegretto
3 III. Allegro non troppo
Berlioz
4 Overture "Carnival of Rome" Op. 9
Ravel
Page 19
19/37
5 La Valse
Berlioz
6 "Benvenuto Cellini-" Overture
Charles Tomlinson Griffs (1884-1920)
7 White Peacock
Recording: Oct. 15, 1939 (1-3); Nov. 16, 1940 (4-5); Oct. 30, 1938 (6-7)
New York Philharmonic
CD 67
Debussy
Prelude to the Afternoon of 1
Bizet
Arles Women's Suite (Excerpt)
2 Prelude (part 1)
3 Prelude (part 2)
4 Adagietto
5 Farandole
Foret
"Pereas and Merizand" Suite Op. 80
6 I. Prelude
7 II. Fileuse
8 III. Sicilienne
9 IV. La Mort de Melisande
Saint Saens
Suite "Carnival of animals"
10 I. Introduction and Royal March of the Lion
11 II. Hens and Roosters
12 III. Wild Asses
13 IV. Tortoises
14 V. The Elephant
15 VI. Kangaroos
16 VII. Aquarium
17 VIII. People with Long Ears
18 IX. The Cuckoo in the Depths of the Woods
19 X. Aviary
20 XI. Pianists
21 XII. Fossils
22 XIII. The Swan
23 XIV. Finale
Rawicz & Landauer, pianos
Page 20
20/37
Ibert
Divertisman
24 Introduction
25 Cortège
26 Nocturne
27 Valse
28 Parade
29 Finale
Recording, Dec. 23, 1953 (1); Oct. 19, 1950 (2-5); Jan. 4, 1954 (6-9);
Feb. 10-11, 1954 (10-23);
1, 1954 (24-29)
Halle Orchestra
CD 68
Johann Strauss II
1 "Gypsy Baron" Overture
2 Radetsky Marches op. 228
3 The Vienna Forest Story Op. 325
4 comedy "Komori" Overture
5 Pizzicato Polka Op. 447
6 Annen Polka Op. 117
7 The Movement Op. 257
8 Beautiful Blue Danube Op. 314
9 Emperor Yen Dance Op. 437
Strauss family
10 Strauss Fantasy (arr. Landauer)
Rawicz & Landauer, pianos
Rejar
11 Waltz "Gold and Silver" Op. 79
Recording: June 19-23, 1956, Stereo (1-8); Jan. 13, 1955 (9); Feb. 11,
1954 (10); May 3, 1957 (11)
Halle Orchestra
CD 69
Balakirev
1 Symphonic poem "Tamara"
Parcel
Suite for string music (arrangement: Barbirolli)
2 I. The Gordian Knot Untied-Overture
3 II. The Virtuous Wife-Minuet
4 III. King Arthur-The Fairest Isle
5 IV. Abdelazar-Air
6 V. Dido and Aeneas-Lament
7 VI. King Arthur-Allegro
Page 21
21/37
Yaromir Weinberger (1896- 1967)
8 Christmas
Anthony Collins (1893-1963)
9 Overture "Sir Andrew and Sir Tobi-"
Paul Creston (1906-1985)
10 sad song
Jean Carlo Menotti (1911-2007)
11 Opera "Old Woman and the Thief" Overture
Mozart
12 Symphony No. 34-Final Movement: Allegro vivace
Recording: Oct. 24, 1937 (1-7); Dec. 24, 1939 (8); March 22, 1942 (9);
1942 (10-11); 1938 (12)
New York Philharmonic
CD 70
Elgar
Symphony No. 1 in D major Op. 55
Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
Elegy Op. 58
Recording: Dec. 11-12, 1956
Halle Orchestra
CD 71
Mendelssohn
1 octet op. 20-Scherzo
Beethoven
Symphony No. 4 in B major Op. 60
2 I. Adagio-Allegro vivace
3 II. Adagio
4 III. Allegro vivace
5 IV. Allegro ma non troppo
6 "Coriolan" Overture, Op. 62
Mozart
Symphony No. 33 in B major KV 319
Recording: Dec. 13, 1936 (1-5); Dec. 19, 1937 (6); Nov. 29, 1936 (7-10)
Page 22
22/37
New York Philharmonic
CD 72
Wagner
1 Prelude from "Nuremberg's Meister Zinger"
2 "Walkyre" from the walking of the Valkyrie
Debussy
Iberia
3 I. Par les rues et par les chemins
4 II. Les Parfums de la nuit
5 III. Le Matin d'un jour de fête
Mario Castelnuovo Tedesco (1895-1968)
6 "King John" Overture
Arthur Benjamin (1893-1960)
7 Overture for an Italian-style comedy
Corelli
8 Concerto (Arr. Barbiroli)
Mahler
9 Symphony No. 5 ~ Adderjet (Excerpt)
Recording: Oct. 24, 1937 (1); Nov. 20, 1938 (2); Nov. 14, 1937 (3-5);
March 15, 1942 (6); April 20, 1941.
(7); Feb. 23, 1943 (8); Dec. 17, 1939 (9)
New York Philharmonic
CD 73
Grieg
Symphonic Dance Op. 64 *
1 No. 1 Allegro moderato e marcato
2 No. 2 Allegretto grazioso
3 No. 3 Allegro giocoso
4 No. 4 Andante. Allegro molto e risoluto
Elgar
5 Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 8 in D minor
6 I. Fantasia (Variazioni senza tema)
7 II. Scherzo alla marcia (per stromenti a fiato). Allegro alla marcia
8 III. Cavatina (per stromenti ad arco). Lento espressivo
9 IV. Toccata. Moderato maestoso
Page 23
23/37
Recording: August 9-10, 1957, Stereo (1-4); Jan. 3, 1959 (5-9)
Halle Orchestra *
New York Philharmonic
CD 74
Mozart
Symphony No. 25 in G minor KV 183
1 I. Allegro con brio
2 II. Andante
3 III. Menuetto
4 IV. Allegro
Rimsky Korsakov
5 Spanish Classical Music, Op. 34
Brahms
6 University Celebration Overture Op. 80
Debussy
7 small songs
Smetana
8 "Sold Bride"-Overture
Recording: Nov. 3, 1940 (1-4); Nov. 16, 1940 (5-6); Dec. 16, 1940 (7);
August 2, 1940 (8)
New York Philharmonic
CD 75
Tchaikovsky
Suite 3rd G major, Op. 55
1-Themes and Variations
Sibelius
Symphony No. 1 E minor Op. 39
2 I. Allegro, ma non troppo-Allegro energico
3 II. Andante (ma non troppo lento)
4 III. Scherzo (Allegro)
5 IV. Finale: Quasi una fantasia (Andante-Allegro molto)
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
6 I. The Earl of Salisbury's Pavane
7 II. The Irish Ho Hoane
8 III. A Toye (Farnaby)
9 IV. Giles Farnaby's Dreame
10 V. The King's Hunt
Page 24
24/37
Recording: April 11, 1942 (1-5); April 12, 1942 (6-10)
New York Philharmonic
CD 76
Dvorak
Symphony No. 8 in G major Op. 88
Richard Strauss
Symphonic poem "Don Fan" Op. 20
Stravinsky
The Firebird Suite
Recording: August 25, 1963
Philharmonia Orchestra
CD 77
Tchaikovsky
1 Francesca da Rimini Op. 32
Debussy
Iberia
2 I. Par les rues et par les chemins
3 II. Les Parfums de la nuit
4 III. Le Matin d'un jour de fête
Respighi
5 "The old-fashioned dance for the lute and the Aria third set" from the
court Aria
Parcel
Suite for string music (arrangement: Barbirolli)
6 I. The Gordian Knot Untied-Overture
7 II. The Virtuous Wife-Minuet
8 III. King Arthur-The Fairest Isle
9 IV. Abdelazar-Air
10 V. Dido and Aeneas-Lament
11 VI. King Arthur-Allegro
Recording: Feb. 9, 1938 (1); Feb. 7, 1938 (2-11)
New York Philharmonic
CD 78
Respighi
"Roman Fountain" P. 106
1 I. La fontana di Valle Giulia al alba
2 II. La fontana del Tritone al mattino
Page 25
25/37
3 III. La fontana di Trevi al meriggio
4 IV. La fontana di Villa Medici al tramonto
Schubert
Five German Dances and Seven Trios D.90
5 I. German Dance in C major, Trio I-Trio II
6 II. German Dance in G major, Trio I-Trio II
7 III. German Dance in D major, Trio
8 IV. German Dance in F major
9. V. German Dance in C major, Trio I-Trio II-Coda
Elgar
10 Introduction and Allegro Op. 47 *
Frederick Rosse (1867-1940)
Merchant of Venice Suite *
11 I. Introduction
12 II. Bourree
13 III. A La Valse
14 IV. Finale
Recording: Feb. 21, 1939 (1-9); Jan. 28, 1929 (10); June 26, 1929 (11-15)
New York Philharmonic
John Balbirolli Chamber Orchestra *
CD 79
Johann Strauss II (1825-1899)
1 Beautiful Blue Danube Op. 314
2 Polka "Tearning and Lightning" Op. 324
3 "Gypsy Baron" Overture
4 The Movement Op. 257
5 Champagne Polka Op. 211
Johann Strauss I (1804-1849)
6 Radetsky March Op. 228 (Arc. Orchestra: Jacob)
Richard Strauss
7 Suite "Knight of the Roses" op. 59 – Waltz from Act 3
Rejar
8 Waltz "Gold and Silver" Op. 79
Recording: Dec. 30-31, 1966, Stereo (1-4 & 6-8); Feb. 2, 1967, Stereo (5)
Halle Orchestra
CD 80
George Butterworth (1885-1916)
1 "Shropshire's Young" Orchestral Rhapsody
Page 26
26/37
Arnold Bucks
2 Gardens of funds
Parcel
Suite for string music (arrangement: Barbirolli)
3 I. The Gordian Knot Untied-Overture
4 II. The Virtuous Wife-Minuet
5 III. King Arthur-The Fairest Isle
6 IV. Abdelazar-Air
7 V. Dido and Aeneas-Lament
8 VI. King Arthur – Allegro
Jeremiah Clark (1674-1707)
9 Trumpet Voluntary (Arrangement: Wood)
Susa
10 Stars and Stripes Forever
Puccini
11 Manon Lescoe-Third Act Interlude
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
12 I. The Earl of Salisbury's Pavane
13 II. The Irish Ho Hoane
14 III. A Toye (Farnaby)
15 IV. Giles Farnaby's Dreame
16 V. The King's Hunt
Recording: June 20, 1956, Stereo (1); June 21, 1956, Stereo (2); June
22, 1956, Stereo (3-8); August
9, 11, 1957, Stereo (9); August 9, 1957, Stereo (10); Sep. 4, 1958,
Stereo (11); Jan. 5, 1954 (12-16)
Halle Orchestra
CD 81
John Ialand
1 "The Forgotten Ritual"-Prelude for Orchestra
2 May-Dan
These Things Shall Be
3 Say, heart, what will the future bring
4 These things shall be!
5 Nation with nation, land with land
6 When all the earth is paradise
Halle Choir, Parry Jones ( tenor )
Vaughan Williams
A fantasy song by 7 "Green Sleeves"
8 Fantasy on the subject of Talis
Page 27
27/37
Weber
9 "Euliante" Overture *
Delius
10 Road to Paradise *
Recording: May 31, 1949 (1, 2); May 1, 1948 (3-6); Feb. 26, 1948 (7);
June 6, 1946 (8); August 20, 1947
(9, 10)
Halle Orchestra
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra *
CD 82
Elgar
Enigma Variations Op. 36
1 Theme (Andante)
2 ICAE (the composer's wife)
3 II. HDS-P. (Hew David Steuart-Powell)
4 III. RBT (Richard Baxter Townshend)
5 IV. WMB (WM Baker)
6 VRPA (Richard R. Arnold)
7 VI. Ysobel (Isabel Fitton)
8 VII. Troyte (Troyte Griffth)
9 VIII. WN (Winifred Norbury)
10 IX. Nimrod (AJ Jaeger)
11 X. Intermezzo. Dorabella (Dora Penny)
12 XI. GRS (GR Sinclair)
13 XII. BGN (Basil G. Nevinson)
14 XIII. Romanza. (Lady Mary Lygon)
15 XIV. Finale. EDU (the composer)
16 Bavarian Dance Op. 27, "Lullaby"
17 Introduction and Allegro Op. 47
18 Elegy Op. 58
Mendelssohn
19 Scherzo (from octet to Op. 20)
Michael Heming (1920-1942)
20 Threnody for a soldier killed in Action (arr. Collins)
Stravinsky
Concerto in D major
21 I. Vivace
22 II. Arioso- Andantino
23 III. Rondo-Allegro
Recording: May 12, 1947 (1-15); May 30, 1947 (16); 1947 (17, 18); May
31, 1949 (19);
March 10, 1948 (21-23)
Page 28
28/37
Halle Orchestra
CD 83
Mahler
Symphony No. 1 D major "Giant"
Recording: June 11-12, 1957, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 84
Grieg
Two sad tunes Op. 34
1 First song The broken heart
2 second song too spring
Pere Guint Suite No. 1 Op. 46
Recording: August 9-10, 1957, Stereo
Sibelius
"Sorry Waltz" Op. 44-1
Recording: June 29, 1957, Stereo
Suppe
"Beautiful Galatea" Overture
Recording: Feb. 11, 1954
Joaquin Turina (1882-1949)
Fantasy Dances, Op. 22
Recording: Dec. 19, 1951
Chablier
Spanish Rhapsody
Recording: Jan. 2, 1954
Rejar
Waltz "Gold and Silver" Op. 79
Recording: April 5, 1952
Emile Waldteufel (1837-1915)
Scarters Waltz Op. 183
Recording: May 3, 1957
Halle Orchestra
CD 85
Brahms
Symphony No. 1 in C minor Op. 68
Recording: August 24, 1954, Stereo
Page 29
29/37
Symphony No. 3 in F major Op. 90
Recording: May 21-22, 1952
Halle Orchestra
CD 86
Brahms
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 73
Recording: Jan. 31, 1959, Stereo
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Symphony No. 4 in E minor Op. 98
Recording: Sep. 18-19, 1959, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 87
Tchaikovsky
Symphony No. 5 in E minor Op. 64
Recording: Nov. 1939
Schumann
Symphony No. 4 in D minor Op. 120
Recording: Nov. 7, 1937
New York Philharmonic
CD 88
Berlioz
Fantasy Symphony Op. 14
Recording: Jan. 2, 1947
Wagner
Orchestral Suite "Nürnberg's Meister Zinger"
Prelude to Act III
Apprentice dances
Entrance of great singers
Recording: Sep. 18, 1944
Elgar
Strings Serenade in E minor Op. 20
Recording: April 30, 1949
Halle Orchestra
CD 89
Debussy
Sea
Nocturne
Recording: Dec. 12, 13, 18 & 20, 1968, Stereo
Page 30
30/37
Elgar
Overture "Kokain" Op. 40 *
Recording: Dec. 15, 1949 & Feb. 2, 1950
Paris Orchestra
Halle Orchestra *
CD 90
William Olwin (1905-1985)
Symphony No. 1
Recording: June 11, 1952
Harp Concerto "Lila Angelica"
Sidonie Goossens (harp)
Recording: Jan. 2, 1955
Magic Island *
Recording: June 11, 1953
BBC Symphony Orchestra
Halle Orchestra *
CD 91
William Olwin (1905-1985)
Symphony No. 2
1 I. Con moto-Molto moderato-Quasi Adagio molto calmato
2 II. Allegro molto-Moderato largamente-Molto tranquillo
Recording: Oct. 25, 1953
3 Autumn Legend for Cor Anglais and String Orchestra
Roger Winfield, Cor Anglais
Recording: Sep. 5, 1955
Nielsen
Symphony No. 4 Op. 29 "Immortalize"
4 I. Allegro-
5 II. Poco allegretto-
6 III. Poco adagio quasi andante-
7 IV. Allegro
Recording: Sep. 1-2, 1958, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 92
Barbirolli
"Elizabeth" Suite
Delius
Way to paradise (arrangement: bechamu)
Page 31
31/37
Walton
Partita for orchestral music
Brahms
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 73
Recording: Jan. 30, 1959, Stereo
Boston Symphony Orchestra
CD 93
Elgar
Symphony No. 1 in D major Op. 55
Recording: Jan. 30, 1958
Weber
"Magical Shooter" Overture
Recording: Jan. 30, 1958
Gounod
Small symphony for wind instruments *
7 I. Adagio et Allegretto
8 II. Andante cantabile
9 III. Scherzo
10 IV. Finale
Recording: 1958, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 94
Elgar
Symphony No. 2 in E major, Op. 63 *
Recording: April 20-21, 1964, Stereo
Ocean Painting Op. 37
Janet Baker (Meso Soprano)
Recording: August 30, 1965, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
London Symphony Orchestra
CD 95
Elgar
Enigma Variations Op. 36 *
1 Theme (Andante)
2 ICAE (the composer's wife)
3 II. HDS-P. (Hew David Steuart-Powell)
4 III. RBT (Richard Baxter Townshend)
5 IV. WMB (WM Baker)
Page 32
32/37
6 VRPA (Richard R. Arnold)
7 VI. Ysobel (Isabel Fitton)
8 VII. Troyte (Troyte Griffth)
9 VIII. WN (Winifred Norbury)
10 IX. Nimrod (AJ Jaeger)
11 X. Intermezzo. Dorabella (Dora Penny)
12 XI. GRS (GR Sinclair)
13 XII. BGN (Basil G. Nevinson)
14 XIII. Romanza. (Lady Mary Lygon)
15 XIV. Finale. EDU (the composer)
Intimidating Op. 39
16 March 1st D major *
17 March No. 2 in A minor
18 March 3rd C minor
19 March fourth major major *
20 March C Major A
21 Concert Overture "Flowasar" Op. 19 *
Recording: May 9 & August 27, 1962, Stereo (1-15); August 29, 1962,
Stereo (16, 19);; July 14, 1966,
Stereo (17, 18, 20); July 15, 1966, Stereo (21)
New Philharmonia Orchestra
Philharmonia Orchestra *
Song No. 2 in E major, Op. 63
Parcel
Suite No. 2 (Arrangement: Barbirolli)
Recording: 1964
Boston Symphony Orchestra
CD 97
Vaughan Williams
Symphony No. 6 E minor
1 I. Allegro
2 II. Moderato
3 III. Scherzo. Allegro vivace
4 IV. Epilogue. Moderato
Delius
5 Way to paradise (arrangement: beecham)
Grieg
6 Lyrical Articles Book 6, No. 4-Secrets *
Villa Lobos
Brazilian-style Bach No. 4 *
Page 33
33/37
7 I. Prelúdio (Introdução)
8 II. Coral (Canto do Sertão) (Song of the Bush)
9 III. Aria (Cantiga)
10 IV. Dança (Miudinho)
Recording: 1964 (1-5); August 31, 1953 (6); Jan. 12-13, 1955 (7-10)
Boston Symphony Orchestra
Halle Orchestra *
CD 98
Shostakovich
Symphony No. 5 in D minor Op. 47
Recording: Feb. 22, 1963
Nielsen
Symphony No. 4 Op. 29 "Immortalize"
Recording: July 30, 1965, Stereo
Halle Orchestra
CD 99
Schubert
Symphony No. 5 in B major D. 485
Recording: August 9, 1968, Stereo
Elgar
Symphonic study "for stuff" in C minor Op. 68
Recording: June 1964, Stereo
Schubert
"Rosamunde" D. 797-Overture
Recording: April 28, 1948 & March 31, 1949
Halle Orchestra
CD 100
Schubert
Symphony No. 9 in C major D. 944 "Great"
Recording: Dec. 21-22, 1953
Symphony No. 8 in B minor D. 759 "unfinished"
Recording: Dec. 31, 1965
Halle Orchestra
CD 101
Sibelius
Symphony No. 1 E minor Op. 39
Page 34
34/37
Recording: Dec. 30-31, 1957
Symphony No. 5 in E major, Op. 82
Recording: May 28, 1957
Halle Orchestra
CD 102
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43
Recording: Dec. 18-19, 1952
Symphony No.7 in C major Op. 105 *
Recording: March 3-5, 1949
"Twanella Swan" Op. 22-2
Recording: Jan. 12, 1955
Halle Orchestra
CD 103
Schubert
Symphony No. 9 in C major D. 944 "Great"
Recording: June 2-3, 1964. Stereo
Wagner
Siegfried Pastoral
Recording: April 22, 1966
Halle Orchestra
CD 104
Debussy
Symphonic poem "sea" *
1 I. De l'aube à midi sur la mer. Trés lent
2 II. Jeux de vagues. Allegro
3 III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer. Animé et tumultueux
Recording: 1958. Stereo
Suppe
4 "Vienna's morning, noon, evening" overture
5 "The Queen of Spades" Overture
6 "The Phantom Thief" Overture
7 "Poet and Farmer" Overture
8 "Light cavalry" overture
9 "Beautiful Galatea" Overture
Recording: June 28-29, 1957. Stereo
Bucharest Philharmonic Orchestra *
Halle Orchestra
Page 35
35/37
CD 105
Mozart
Symphony No. 36 in C major KV 425 "Lintz" *
1 I. Adagio-Allegro spiritoso
2 II. Andante
3 III. Menuetto
4 IV. Presto
Debussy
Symphonic poem "sea" *
5 I. De l'aube à midi sur la mer. Trés lent
6 II. Jeux de vagues. Allegro
7 III. Dialogue du vent et de la mer. Animé et tumultueux
Alan Lothson (1905-1971)
8 "Street Corner" Overture
Falla
9 Seven Spanish Folksong-Seguidilla murciana (arr: Halffter)
Marina de Gabarain ( mezzo-soprano )
Recording: Dec. 17, 1967, Stereo (1-7); April 24, 1968, Stereo (8); May
4, 1957, Stereo (9)
Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra *
Halle Orchestra
CD 106
Schonberg
Symphonic poem "Pereas and Merizand" Op. 5
Recording: April 1968, Stereo
Sibelius
Symphony No. 2 in D major Op. 43 *
Recording: Sep. 1-2, 1959, Stereo
Recording: August 28, 1963
Halle Orchestra
Philharmonia Orchestra *
CD 107
Mahler
Earth song
I. Das Trinklied vom Jammer der Erde
II. Der Einsame im Herbst
III. Von der Jugend
IV. Von der Schönheit
Page 36
36/37
V. Der Trunkene im Frühling
VI. Der Abschied
* The beginning of 1st & 5th movement are missing.
Recording: April 2, 1952
Kathleen Ferrier, Alto , Richard Lewis, Tenor
Halle Orchestra
CD 108
Mendelssohn
Symphony No. 4 in A major op. 90 "Italy"
1 I. Allegro vivace
2 II. Andante con moto
3 III. Con moto moderato
4 IV. Saltarello. Presto
5 Suite "A Midsummer Night's Dream"-Scherzo
6 Overture "Fingal's Cave" Op. 26
Grieg
"Pere Guint Suite" No. 1 Op. 46
7 I. Morning Mood
8 II. Åse's Death
9 III. Anitra's Dance
10 IV. In the Hall of the Mountain King
Delius
"Sylvia" Suite
11 Les Chasseresses
12 Intermezzo & Valse Lente
13 Pizzicati
14 Cortege de Bacchus
15 Londonderry Air
Recording: Feb. 25, 1948 (1-4, 15); Feb. 16, 1945 (5); April 30, 1948
(6); Dec. 4, 1948 (7-10); Feb.
25 & May 1, 1948 (11-14)
Halle Orchestra
CD 109
Arnold Bucks
Symphony No. 3 *
1 I. Lento moderato-Allegro moderato-Allegro feroce-Lento
moderato-Allegro moderato-Piu lento
-Allegro
2 II. Lento
3 II. Moderato-Epilogue. Poco lento
4 Symphony poem "Tintagel"
Page 37
37/37
John Ialand (1879-1962)
5 London Overture
Recording: Dec. 31, 1943 & Jan. 12, 1944 (1-3); Dec. 28, 1965, Stereo (4-5)
Halle Orchestra *
London Symphony Orchest
m***@gmail.com
2019-05-24 23:48:51 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
[...]
One correction: the 1964 Tchaikovsky Serenade for Strings is with the strings of the London Symphony, not the Halle. It's a big and sonorous performance with an especially moving third movement.

Mark
Mark Obert-Thorn
Mark O-T
Invocation
No wonder. Most of the time those Korean bargain boxes would simply copy the existing CD releases, esp. the label Artis.
Randy Lane
2019-06-20 01:38:59 UTC
All evidence on both Tower Japan and HMV Japan have disappeared in the last two days.
j***@yahoo.com
2019-06-25 13:26:40 UTC
Maybe they received a cease and desist order from one of the represented record labels.
Randy Lane
2019-06-25 19:32:41 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Maybe they received a cease and desist order from one of the represented record labels.
Given that none of the recordings were subject to copyright protection in Korea that is unlikely.
Possibilities I think of:

Production/quality issues requiring reproduction
Additional material discovered
Technical difficulties including originally planned recordings, or discovery that the planned materials were not in fact genuinely performed by the feature artist (this happened with one of the Knappertsbusch Venias boxes).
Invocation
Korean's copy right law has 50 year protection after the author's death, so strictly speaking there is still one year of recording under protection. Maybe they are waiting for another year so everything will be in public domain?
r***@gmail.com
2019-05-25 15:36:52 UTC
It is now listed at HMV.co.jp
j***@yahoo.com
2019-05-24 19:28:40 UTC
Most likely I’ll be getting this too. Hopefully it’ll show up on HMV Japan because last I knew, Tower Japan won’t take foreign orders and you have to go through an intermediary to make a purchase.
p***@gmail.com
2019-07-29 08:36:50 UTC
Randy Lane於 2019年5月24日星期五 UTC+8下午7時59分06秒寫道:
Post by Randy Lane
This will be a must buy for me.
https://tower.jp/item/4913746/
https://tower.jp/article/feature_item/2019/05/24/1117
Warner International will release 108 CDs Set in Feb 2020
(including both Pye & EMI label)

-The Source is came from twitter of Warner Classics Japan-