WAYLTL
Add Reply
Ed Presson
2018-10-28 03:57:31 UTC
Shostakovich: Symphonies 4 and 11. Boston Symphony Orchestra/Andris
Nelsons.
DG B0028595 (2 CDs).

I had read good reviews in Gramophone and ARG, but didn't plan to buy it
because
I had not been impressed with previous performances by Nelsons. Then I
heard
the last movement of the Fourth on FM radio. I thought it was very
successful.

I think both performances rate a B+. The BSO plays beautifully, and that
may be part
of my hesitance to give it an A-. The playing, especially in the Fourth,
would benefit
from more edge. Both Jarvi and Ormandy provide it. It seems to me that
Nelsons is
just a smidge too moderate, but it's still a fine performance--especially
the final
movement.

For the Eleventh, this is not a problem and all goes very well. Sometimes,
in both
symphonies, when Nelsons hits the accelerator, the interpretation can seem a
bit
glib compared to others; as if he is skating over music that other
conductors have
projected with a stronger profile.

The BSO's own engineers have provided very fine sound with deep bass that DG
and others have never caught this well in Symphony Hall.

Of the performances that I know, my current favorites for the Fourth are
Ormandy
and Jarvi; for the Eleventh, Stokowski. YMMV.

Ed Presson
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-11-05 20:42:43 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
[...]
Just spent the weekend listening to an Eloquence 4cd set by Edo de Waart with the Rotterdam and London Phil of the Rachmaninov symphonies and tone poems and
Symphonic Dances. Very enjoyable performances with IMO a weak No. 2. This was
the 2nd time hearing the 3rd and I was extremely impressed. The Dances were well performed and recorded and was a first Decca release. My first exposure to this conductor was through his Adams recordings with the SFS.
Gerard
2018-11-05 23:33:19 UTC
His (Edo de Waart) remake of the Rachmaninov cycle on the label Exton with the Radio Philharmonic Orchestra Holland is a much finer set, imo. And splendidly recorded.
Lawrence Chalmers
Ed Presson
Lawrence Chalmers
I must add that his Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet excerpts was OUTSTANDING.
Lawrence Chalmers
Ed Presson
HT
2018-11-06 06:55:06 UTC
Lipatti Chopin Waltzes

The last time I listened to the complete waltzes was when Fliter's CD came out. The waltzes are on a The5O's twofer called Lipatti piano favourites. It struck me (again) how lively Lipatti's playing is compared with the Bach, Scarlatti and Mozart. It cannot be the difference in time. All the items were recorded from 1947-1950.

Henk
HT
2018-11-06 06:59:49 UTC
Lipatti Chopin Waltzes

The last time I listened to the complete waltzes was when Fliter's CD came out. The waltzes are on a The5O's twofer called Lipatti piano favourites. It struck me (again) how lively Lipatti's playing is compared with his Bach, Scarlatti and Mozart. It cannot be the difference in time. All the items were recorded from 1947-1950.

Henk
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-11-07 01:33:01 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
[...]
The De Waart Rachmaninov cycle on Exton appears to be only available as SACD
not hybrid, if I read the amazon.com description correctly.
Gerard
2018-11-07 13:51:41 UTC
Post by Lawrence Chalmers
The De Waart Rachmaninov cycle on Exton appears to be only available as SACD
not hybrid, if I read the amazon.com description correctly.
The description at amazon.com is contradictory.

https://www.amazon.com/Rachmaninov-Complete-Symphonies-Orchestral-Works/dp/B000AZ6NIS/
says:
"Editorial Reviews
Import Hybrid-SACD pressing. "

AND: "Please Note: Requires SACD-compatible hardware"

This is not true.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rachmaninov-Complete-Symphonies-Orchestral-Works/dp/B000AZ6NIS/
says:
"Format: Box set, Hybrid SACD"
This is correct.
Lawrence Chalmers
2018-11-07 16:25:16 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
[...]
RE: De Waart Rachmaninov Exton. Thanks for the clarification Gerard.