Debussy's piano works by Albert Ferber ?
Add Reply
Steve
2019-07-28 17:11:57 UTC
Any thoughts on this EMI box (4 CDs):

Debussy, Albert Ferber - L'œuvre Pour Piano
EMI Classics 50999 083380 2 0
4 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
Recordings from 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956.
Details:
https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Albert-Ferber-L%C5%93uvre-Pour-Piano/release/6528118

Sound quality?

Steve
Frank Berger
2019-07-28 17:40:43 UTC
Post by Steve
Debussy, Albert Ferber - L'œuvre Pour Piano
EMI Classics 50999 083380 2 0
4 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
Recordings from 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956.
https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Albert-Ferber-L%C5%93uvre-Pour-Piano/release/6528118
Sound quality?
Steve
Among the best, IMO. Good sound, too. I've been looking forever,
without success, to his Fauré on CD.
HT
2019-07-28 17:57:17 UTC
Among the best, IMO. Good sound, too.
Seconded. Although 'best' is perhaps too much. It's in the top half, IMO.

Henk
y***@gmail.com
2019-07-28 22:39:55 UTC
Post by Steve
Debussy, Albert Ferber - L'œuvre Pour Piano
EMI Classics 50999 083380 2 0
4 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
Recordings from 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956.
https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Albert-Ferber-L%C5%93uvre-Pour-Piano/release/6528118
Sound quality?
Steve
Among the best, IMO. Good sound, too. I've been looking forever,
without success, to his Fauré on CD.
Thank you for posting this. Was not familiar with this pianist. Just started listening to samples on YouTube. ArkivMusic evidently has the Debussy in stock:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=653021
Frank Berger
2019-07-29 00:38:25 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Steve
Debussy, Albert Ferber - L'œuvre Pour Piano
EMI Classics 50999 083380 2 0
4 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
Recordings from 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956.
https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Albert-Ferber-L%C5%93uvre-Pour-Piano/release/6528118
Sound quality?
Steve
Among the best, IMO. Good sound, too. I've been looking forever,
without success, to his Fauré on CD.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=653021
Notice that Arkiv has Erato as the label, when the picture shows EMI.
Strange thing is in my database I also have Erato. Maybe I copied it off
the Arkiv site. I'll have to find the box.
Steve Emerson
2019-07-30 16:27:04 UTC
Post by y***@gmail.com
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Steve
Debussy, Albert Ferber - L'œuvre Pour Piano
EMI Classics 50999 083380 2 0
4 × CD, Compilation, Remastered, Mono
Recordings from 1953, 1954, 1955 and 1956.
https://www.discogs.com/Debussy-Albert-Ferber-L%C5%93uvre-Pour-Piano/release/6528118
Sound quality?
Steve
Among the best, IMO. Good sound, too. I've been looking forever,
without success, to his Fauré on CD.
http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=653021
Notice that Arkiv has Erato as the label, when the picture shows EMI.
Strange thing is in my database I also have Erato. Maybe I copied it off
the Arkiv site. I'll have to find the box.
Hi Frank -- The Erato labeling is something Warner has been inexplicably sticking on French EMI stuff. I have the 2011 version, as shown at Discogs.

Re: the Debussy recordings -- I must disagree with esteemed fellow contributors. I find them unremarkable; in no way at the level of the two superb Faure discs. Too, the sound on the CDs is not vivid enough for Debussy. LPs, might be better but who knows. There's also a smattering of Beethoven solo works; never heard those.

SE.
JohnGavin
2019-07-30 16:33:54 UTC
Hi Frank -- The Erato labeling is something Warner has been inexplicably sticking on French EMI stuff. I have the 2011 version, as shown at Discogs.

Re: the Debussy recordings -- I must disagree with esteemed fellow contributors. I find them unremarkable; in no way at the level of the two superb Faure discs. Too, the sound on the CDs is not vivid enough for Debussy. LPs, might be better but who knows. There's also a smattering of Beethoven solo works; never heard those.

SE.

As greatly as I admire Albert Ferber’s Faure, I have to agree with Steve regarding his Debussy. Something about it is just too mild mannered, and the effect is amplified by what seems to be a rather middling sound engineering. With pianists like Michelangeli, DiBonaventura, Noriko Ogawa and others, I saw no reason to keep the Ferber set.