Qobuz USA — it's here!
2018-09-04 17:56:54 UTC
Say it: CO-buzz. It's here, and your easy chair recreation may never be the same. No hyperbole!

An announcement was made earlier this year, or in late 2017, that Qobuz would be rolling out service for North America, but I hadn't seen much progress...till now. Over the weekend, I noticed the Qobuz app installed in July on my iPhone 10 had a new icon, so I clicked on it and saw a new interface and everything looked spiffed-up. I ran a search and saw the following press release. This is a game-changer. My disc-buying may be halved by year's end.

There are no 'offers' available as of today. Those living in the US & Canada cannot yet sign up, but the app is free to download with free samples of tracks for audition. I listened to a couple CDs in 16/44.1 quality last night from the Oscar Levant box.

AppleMusic and iTunes Store are good—I have really been won over by the Mastered for iTunes campaign; a great initiative—but naturally I prefer CD-quality for purchase or streaming, and to have the option of going 24/96—well, sign me up; I want to be on the right side of history. I don't think my ears could tell a difference between 24/96 and studio master quality 24/192, also offered by Qobuz, but then again, can I tell a difference between a title Mastered for iTunes (that is, dithered to 256kbps AAC from 24/96 or higher studio files) and a CD? I'm not so sure anymore.

From prnewswire.com

<< Qobuz to Preview High-Res Audio Music Streaming and Download Service at CEDIA Expo
The World's Highest Resolution Music Streaming Service, Qobuz to Make U.S. Debut this Fall

Aug 31, 2018

SAN DIEGO, Aug. 31, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Qobuz, (pronounced CO-buzz) the world's only true Hi-Res Audio streaming and download service, announced today that it will premiere its service live at the upcoming CEDIA Expo, September 4-7, in San Diego.

Qobuz will be live at CEDIA Expo in the San Diego Convention Center, San Diego, CA, September 4-7, 2018 in booth 4047.

Qobuz offers an extensive catalog, including hard-to-find jazz and classical albums and tracks. Dwarfing other providers, Qobuz will offer by far the largest catalog of streaming Hi-Res audio (24-bit, up to 192k) in the world. Qobuz works on Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows on both mobile and desktop and will be integrated with all of the most prestigious Hi-Fi brands.

"We are excited to give industry professionals the opportunity to experience firsthand the amazing quality across all genres that our extraordinary music service offers," said Dan Mackta, Managing Director of Qobuz USA. "Qobuz offers streaming to your phone or computer in standard FLAC files, so no special hardware is needed for the highest resolutions.

In addition to its vast collection of pristine 24-bit audio, Qobuz offers exclusive editorial content that fosters in-depth listening and fan experience with hundreds of thousands of album reviews, interviews, biographical articles, digital booklets, photographs, artwork and a sophisticated recommendation and curation component.

"We'll be showing a sample of partner equipment in our booth, including Sonos, DCS and Naim. Other partners, such as Anthem and Paradigm will be playing Qobuz exclusively in their dedicated sound rooms, where the best sound quality is paramount," said David Solomon, Chief hi-res music evangelist.

About Qobuz Founded in 2007, Qobuz is a Paris-based commercial online music streaming and download service that addresses the needs of curious and discerning music lovers across the globe as the only true Hi-Res Audio streaming service. Complementing its unparalleled sound quality, Qobuz includes an exceptional range of music genres as well as exclusive editorial content. Qobuz offers subscription to streaming services with CD quality and Hi-Res audio spanning all genres. The service also offers the largest catalogue of 24-bit Hi-Res albums for download.

For more information, visit: www.qobuz.com. >>
c***@gmail.com
2018-09-04 19:10:46 UTC
Post by Oscar
[...]
From prnewswire.com
[...]
This is great news indeed, Oscar, assuming that it's really going to happen. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alan
m***@gmail.com
do they have the same breadth of repertory and recordings that Amazon and iTunes music have???
Oscar
2018-09-04 22:49:33 UTC
When I typed in, say, Andris Nelsons his icon said 26 albums were available, but when I clicked on Show All there were only 11 albums from which to choose. Beta mode. More will be revealed.
h***@btinternet.com
2018-09-05 04:17:40 UTC
Qobuz search is very “intelligent” - that’s to say it shows you CDs which match what you’ve queried, CDs which contain a selection of items matching what you’ve queried, CDs which are close to what you’ve queried in spelling, and at the end of the list, the systems suggestion for things resembling what you’ve queried.

This is a good thing in my experience, but you have to get used to it and learn to read it.

I like Qobuz, I just wish they had a bigger catalogue for streaming (though this is improving, it’s s at least as big as Tidal) And I wish their tagging was better (but it’s much better than Tidal was a year ago.) The sound on Qobuz is very good.
Mark Zimmer
More importantly, will they be able to offer US listeners the same materials that are currently only offered to European listeners? There's a ton of BNF material I'd like to hear that is entirely inaccessible in the US.
Mike
2018-09-05 16:05:49 UTC
VPNs are easy to set up and use!
weary flake
2018-09-05 17:10:08 UTC
Post by Mike
Post by Mark Zimmer
More importantly, will they be able to offer US listeners the same
materials that are currently only offered to European listeners?
There's a ton of BNF material I'd like to hear that is entirely
inaccessible in the US.
VPNs are easy to set up and use!
VPNs you have to install by trusting a shady website to download
shady software from to run on your computer, like with torrents?

VPNs are no answer to the consumer complaints about region restricted
marketing. Region restrictions are ever criticizable. I can buy CDs
from most anywhere, and have even bought region free (Gaumont) blu-rays
from France and similar from Britain. Music and movies downloading
and streaming are much more restricted.

I can make a guess that Qobuz USA will have a different catalog than
the Qobuz non-USA.
Mike
2018-09-05 18:46:21 UTC
I think you don't know much, if anything, about VPN software.
Gerry
I share your interest in those items, as well as the stunning amount of French broadcast material of live orchestral performances from Ina. Many major artists of the past.
vhorowitz
2018-09-05 22:27:55 UTC
The INA material IS available on TIdal, so my guess is they would be on the US version of Qobuz. BnF I don’t know. My experience is that way too much of the BnF library is (rather poor) rips from LP copies and other non-master materials.
h***@btinternet.com
2018-09-06 05:00:55 UTC
BnF wasn’t available to the USA via spotify I don’t think. I hadn’t noticed that their fransfers were poor, on the contrary in fact.
Invocation
BnF are not available in US Spotify or Tidal so it is likely they will not be offered on Qobuz US due to copyright restrictions.
Mark Zimmer
That's what I'm fearing/expecting, but I guess we will see whether they can work something out.
h***@btinternet.com
2018-09-06 15:58:47 UTC
BnF is available in Quebec, maybe other parts of Canada. (New Brunswick?)

You have only to cross the border and download.
Gerry
2018-09-06 18:07:39 UTC
Might as well get some reasonably priced prescription medication while you are at it.
Oscar
2020-11-06 05:15:08 UTC
Came back to Qobuz after almost 2 years away. It has gotten much better in subsequent updates. I think I'll be canceling AppleMusic very soon.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-11-06 16:24:56 UTC
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 21:15:08 -0800 (PST), Oscar
Post by Oscar
Came back to Qobuz after almost 2 years away. It has gotten much better in subsequent updates. I think I'll be canceling AppleMusic very soon.
Please compare Qobuz with Spotify. I like Spotify because it has
perhaps 80%+ of the recommendations given in this NG.