Mahler 6 recommendations
2020-10-04 17:26:30 UTC
It's just as well that you want a different interpretation, because
there's nothing quite like Barbirolli.<
Barbirolli's EMI performance can be quite slow. The live one with BPO on
Arkadia isn't such a drag, but it's sloppily played and some of the tempo
changes seem strange to me.
Bernstein's 2nd recording (DG), is cut
from similar interpretive cloth and is somewhat better recorded, but
it's I think still on 2 full-priced disks.<
I like the second Bernstein. I seem to remember the first being too quick in
the first movement, whereas the DG is more reasonable (but still very fast).
For a combination of sound, playing, and a provocative interpretation that's
far than Barbirolli, I might go with Bernstein DG.
Not even Bernstein brought more intensity to this piece than Solti...Better
recorded than either Bernstein, and probably better played.<
Amen--maybe too thrilling.
Kubelik is crisp and quick and perhaps a bit light, but very well
balanced and poised;<
Agreed.
Of the other common choices, Karajan is smooth and massive and a bit
glossy and detached; also not very well recorded.<
Yes. Impressive but not quite right.
Szell is crisp and light and clean, but just too underpowered for my taste.
Haitink is rather tame,<
Agreed on both.
None of the few historical recordings are recommendable
even for a second recording; this piece needs a virtuoso orchestra
and modern sound. Adler, Rosbaud, and Mitropoulos variously lack
one or both of these key features.<
I wish I knew the Adler, but I can't disagree more about the Rosbaud and the
Mitropoulos. The Rosbaud is not a virtuoso experience a la Solti (again, nobody
else is), but the orchestra conveys a sense of understanding about so many
points of phrasing and accent and...well, Rosbaud is fastidious yet emotional,
reverent yet commanding, and it shows in the playing. Most notably--the tempi
are very well judged; this is a performance to return to often. If you see this
recording (on Datum), even in its dim but decent sound, it's a must buy.
Mitropoulos, on the other hand, is emotionally white hot. And if the orchestra
can't stay with him every moment, it does a remarkable job nonetheless. The
sound is a barrier, but it is easy to hear how well Mitropoulos identifies with
this music in his seemingly impulsive way. Both Rosbaud and Mitropoulos are
preferable to Horenstein, whose orchestra flounders by comparison, and
Scherchen, who is interesting but makes unfortunate cuts...
(Recent Youtube upload):

Gustav Mahler "Symphony No 6" Hans Rosbaud
Craig Wallace
2020-10-05 05:29:31 UTC
Flipse's reading was very different from the Bernstein/N.Y.Phil that I was
so familiar with and compelling in its sincerity. Maybe it's the sincerity
that makes these earlier Mahler recordings so appealing for me (even the
wretchedly played Scherchen Westminster recordings of 5 and 7 have their
moments). Did you find the Flipse on CD or LP?
John
Flipse...I believe it was a live
recording and was well played.<
I bought the Flipse last year with high hopes. It's not bad at all, but
the
playing is not the strength of the performance (not as good as the Boston
Philharmonic with Zander; maybe as good as the Netherlands Philharmonic
with
Haenchen). It's a good enough recording, but a bit weak sounding compared
some of the better, later recordings we have now. Sensible intepretation;
memory worth cherishing, not so much one to revisit often.
--Jeff
Deryck Cooke famously commented on the snarling brass in the first movement, which can't be heard in too fast tempi, I think he was comparing Bernstein's (1st) CBS version in his Gramophone review. It was usually classed as too fast!!