shortlist Anermet vs Monteux
Add Reply
Craig Wallace
2021-01-29 19:16:33 UTC
Hi, Can people guide me to the best recordings of the above and how would one charecterise their different interpretations, also bearing in mind are we talking their mono or stereo versions? I was mildly surprised for example that a stereo Prokofiev Lt Kije excerpt by Ansermet sounded plusher and less biting than the mono recording, which set me wondering....
Frank Berger
2021-01-29 20:15:32 UTC
Post by Craig Wallace
Hi, Can people guide me to the best recordings of the above and how would one charecterise their different interpretations, also bearing in mind are we talking their mono or stereo versions? I was mildly surprised for example that a stereo Prokofiev Lt Kije excerpt by Ansermet sounded plusher and less biting than the mono recording, which set me wondering....
While plush and biting are not descriptors of music you will
see around here very often, if at all, I'll go out on a limb
and say that stereo vs. mono has zero to do with whether a
recording is likely to be plush or biting, whatever they mean.
Jerry
2021-01-30 13:06:02 UTC
Post by Craig Wallace
Hi, Can people guide me to the best recordings of the above and how would one charecterise their different interpretations, also bearing in mind are we talking their mono or stereo versions? I was mildly surprised for example that a stereo Prokofiev Lt Kije excerpt by Ansermet sounded plusher and less biting than the mono recording, which set me wondering....
The normally reliable Ansermet discography at www.scona.ch shows no recording of
Lt. Kije, not even an extract. Where did these appear?

Jerry
Raymond Hall
2021-01-31 00:46:17 UTC
Post by Jerry
Post by Craig Wallace
Hi, Can people guide me to the best recordings of the above and how would one charecterise their different interpretations, also bearing in mind are we talking their mono or stereo versions? I was mildly surprised for example that a stereo Prokofiev Lt Kije excerpt by Ansermet sounded plusher and less biting than the mono recording, which set me wondering....
The normally reliable Ansermet discography at www.scona.ch shows no recording of
Lt. Kije, not even an extract. Where did these appear?
Jerry
Ansermet appears on many Decca compilations including popular Prokofiev, that I have seen, but where Lieutenant Kije is conducted by other than Ansermet. One has Dorati, while another has Boult doing the Kije music. I suspect that the discography is correct.

Ray Hall, Taree
Jerry
2021-01-31 16:08:49 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Post by Jerry
Post by Craig Wallace
Hi, Can people guide me to the best recordings of the above and how would one charecterise their different interpretations, also bearing in mind are we talking their mono or stereo versions? I was mildly surprised for example that a stereo Prokofiev Lt Kije excerpt by Ansermet sounded plusher and less biting than the mono recording, which set me wondering....
The normally reliable Ansermet discography at www.scona.ch shows no recording of
Lt. Kije, not even an extract. Where did these appear?
Jerry
Ansermet appears on many Decca compilations including popular Prokofiev, that I have seen, but where Lieutenant Kije is conducted by other than Ansermet. One has Dorati, while another has Boult doing the Kije music. I suspect that the discography is correct.
Ray Hall, Taree
Well, that was my suspicion. The Boult Paris Kije is in Stereo (as documented
in Stuart's Boult discography and issued on a London Weekend CD #421 019-2
coupled with Ansermet's Pictures at a Exhibition).

The real mystery for me remains the Boult Love for Three Oranges, taped
in London 20 days AFTER the Kije sessions in Paris.

It's been released on Australian Eloquence but I've not been able to
determine whether it is in mono (as I suspect) or if they've somehow
discovered a hitherto undiscovered stereo tape.

Does anyone know?

Jerry
raymond....@gmail.com
2021-01-31 23:52:33 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Post by Jerry
[...]
https://www.amazon.com.au/Prokofiev-Boult-Martinon-Tuxen-Malko/dp/B084YNZPKW/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=eloquence+prokofiev&qid=1612136170&s=music&sr=1-16
,
The 3 Oranges suite is on the above Eloquence 2fer, Boult and the LPO, the same year as Boult did Kije in Paris, 1956. The back cover doesn't state whether stereo or mono. Actually this might be worth getting methinks.

Ray Hall, Taree
Stan Punzel
Three years later in June 1955, Sir Adrian Boult made his first stereo recording, of the Love for Three Oranges Suite with the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra. This was originally issued in mono with the Lieutenant Kijé Suite played by the LPO because the latter recording was mono only - whereas the present reissue now presents Oranges in it's stereo version. Boult's dry wit points up the sardonic qualities of both suites. (Excerpt from Amazon blurb)
Frank Berger
2021-02-01 01:16:10 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Raymond Hall
Post by Jerry
[...]
According to Charm and my CD, the Boult Lt. Kije was
recorded June 9, 1955 and Love for Three Oranges on June 27,
1955.