Furtwangler
Add Reply
Gonzalo Candia
2020-07-15 23:29:13 UTC
Dear friends,

I have a question for you, experts on W.F. I really love the way in which W.F conducts. For this reason, I have been collected all W.F recordings edited by Pristine, especially those made during WWII. I realized that a new collection was introduced in the market:

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/news/detail/on-22-cdssacds-radio-recordings-with-wilhelm-furtwaengler/

Being a W.F fan, Do you think I have to buy this new (and expensive) collection, having all Pristine recordings? Please, I want to know your opinion! Bests from Chile, Gonzalo
msw design
2020-07-16 01:05:53 UTC
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
https://www.berliner-philharmoniker.de/en/news/detail/on-22-cdssacds-radio-recordings-with-wilhelm-furtwaengler/
Being a W.F fan, Do you think I have to buy this new (and expensive) collection, having all Pristine recordings? Please, I want to know your opinion! Bests from Chile, Gonzalo
While most writeups of the BPO set grant it the status of "best sound", it is enhanced with stereo effects, reverb, and other tricks. Perhaps not as thickly as Pristine would All are applied tastefully, and all sound good, to my ears, but the addition of them means the box is hardly an exacting document of sound so much as a product. The DG versions of the same are easy to come by and really aren't that bad. And most of them are true mono.

If I were you I would just try to find a way to sample each to see if you really need any of them. Perhaps your money would be better spent on the Audite and Orfeo boxes.
r***@outlook.com
2020-07-16 03:31:24 UTC
Audite has a 20%-off sale going on now. Their WF RIAS box (all postwar recordings) is available as a 24-bit download with PDF notes. It's an excellent set and great value for the money.

https://bit.ly/30e9bSG
Alex Brown
2020-07-16 06:17:15 UTC
Post by r***@outlook.com
Audite has a 20%-off sale going on now. Their WF RIAS box (all postwar recordings) is available as a 24-bit download with PDF notes. It's an excellent set and great value for the money.
https://bit.ly/30e9bSG
Seconded on the Audite set - it's essential for WF fans I think - the
sound of some of those is amazingly good (that 1952 Eroica!)

Pristine are always going to be pretty good too, at or near the top of
the tree sound-wise. I think their "ambient stereo" is subtle enough to
be fine, but you can buy a true mono variant from them if you wish.

With the Audite box and everything Pristine released you've got WF's
output pretty well covered (including the EMI Tristan).

Haven't heard the Berlin set. There are limits :-)
- Alex Brown
Gonzalo Candia
- Alex Brown
Gonzalo Candia
2020-07-16 20:52:35 UTC
Dear friends,
I have to say thanks to all of you. I have already purchased the Orfeo boxes plus de Audite one. Just two additional questions. I checked this set in Amazon, but I do not know if it is still worthy to buy it:
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Wilhelm-Furtw%C3%A4ngler-Live-Recordings-1944-1953/dp/B00007BGXS/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=FURTWANGLER&qid=1594932133&s=music&sr=1-9

A second question, Any special feature to focus on when listening to Furtwangler? Any guess in this respect?

Again, thanks for everything! Bests,

Gonzalo
- Alex Brown
msw design
2020-07-16 21:15:21 UTC
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Wilhelm-Furtw%C3%A4ngler-Live-Recordings-1944-1953/dp/B00007BGXS/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=FURTWANGLER&qid=1594932133&s=music&sr=1-9
A second question, Any special feature to focus on when listening to Furtwangler? Any guess in this respect?
Again, thanks for everything! Bests,
Gonzalo
That box is an odd collection. I own it, but there is a lot of duplication there with recordings in other places, and on other labels. But if you can get it cheaply, everything there is worth hearing.

When I think of the best post-war recordings on DG, I think of Brahms 1/BPO from '52 and Bruckner 4/BPO from '51. Neither are in that box, which is a shame. If you don't have them, you are missing out on some top shelf Furty, and I would look to get them.

I also think that if you find all of us helpful, you will appreciate even more John Ardoin's The Furtwangler Record, which reviews his nearly entire catalog of recordings and offers appraisals on every one. Since Ardoin's death there have been some releases that Ardoin only had in inferior transfers, so the book is a bit dated, but it can help you find the best performances out there.

Even the one "negative" review of the book makes clear how valuable Ardoin can be even as we must use our own ears.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/dp/0931340691/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+record+ardoin&qid=1594933800&s=music&sr=8-1
Frank Berger
2020-07-16 22:55:12 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Wilhelm-Furtw%C3%A4ngler-Live-Recordings-1944-1953/dp/B00007BGXS/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=FURTWANGLER&qid=1594932133&s=music&sr=1-9
A second question, Any special feature to focus on when listening to Furtwangler? Any guess in this respect?
Again, thanks for everything! Bests,
Gonzalo
That box is an odd collection. I own it, but there is a lot of duplication there with recordings in other places, and on other labels. But if you can get it cheaply, everything there is worth hearing.
When I think of the best post-war recordings on DG, I think of Brahms 1/BPO from '52 and Bruckner 4/BPO from '51.
There are two Furtwangler Bruckner 4ths from 1951, both with
the VPO:

10/22/1951 in Stuttgart on several DG releases and Music &
Arts 1208.

10/29/1951 in Munich on Orfeo, Tahra, Music & Arts 796,
Price-Less and others.

Not sure how they compare, performance or sound wise.

msw design
2020-07-16 23:37:56 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
[...]
Hmm- somehow I mislabeled two different rips from DG and M&A as BPO instead of VPO.

I prefer the 51.10.22 performance. Turns out it is on an M&A box of "best" Furtwangler Bruckner performances. I own it- I just don't think I recall realizing that the DG was no longer indispensable. Sound is roughly similar.

Maybe the Feb 10 of '52 Brahms 1 is elsewhere as well.
Frank Berger
2020-07-17 00:42:02 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
[...]
Here's a Furtwangler discography. Don't know how accurate
or up-to-date it is. I don't think the 51.10.22 Berlin
Brahms 1 is in print anywhere. It's on an Arkiv CD-R.

https://lee.classite.com/music/Furtwangler/furtwangler-discography-2.htm#No.1
msw design
2020-07-17 14:49:44 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
[...]
Well, it would be in the complete DG box, obviously. Hmm, maybe I should sell my disc and buy the box:

https://www.amazon.com/Brahms-Sym-Furtwangler-Bpo-1990-12-11/dp/B01K8LX4D0/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+brahms+1&qid=1594997341&sr=8-7
Frank Berger
2020-07-17 15:06:13 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
Post by msw design
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends,
[...]
If you decide to sell it, ask $5,000. It won't sell for
$500, might as well not sell it for $5,000.
Frank Berger
2020-07-17 15:17:16 UTC
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 7:42:09 PM UTC-5, Frank
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 5:55:20 PM UTC-5, Frank
Post by Frank Berger
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 3:52:38 PM UTC-5,
Post by Gonzalo Candia
[...]
To get really rich, but the one on Ebay for $13 inc.
shipping and sell it for thousands!
s***@hotmail.com
2020-07-17 18:14:41 UTC
Would anyone recommend this box: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilhelm-Furtwngler-Complete-Recordings-Grammophon/dp/B07VCMLGLD/ref=mp_s_a_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler&qid=1595009575&sprefix=furtw&sr=8-30 ?

Soeren
msw design
2020-07-18 00:25:20 UTC
If you do not have a significant percentage of what is on there, yes. You've got a lot of different categories of recordings in there: wartime, post-war, studio DG, studio Decca, and so forth. Lots of good stuff. Some recordings you could live without, yes, but plenty of content that you should hear and probably own.
c***@yahoo.com
2020-07-18 00:55:45 UTC
I purchased the BPO box and was very pleased. Well the transfers are not perfect, I find them superior to most other versions that I have. As a huge Furtwangler fan, it was worth the money to me.
b***@gmail.com
2020-07-19 08:06:56 UTC
I don't see a 51.10.22 Brahms 1 performance listed there.
Frank Berger
My bad. I meant Bruckner 4.
msw design
2020-07-19 16:54:27 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Here's a Furtwangler discography. Don't know how accurate
or up-to-date it is. I don't think the 51.10.22 Berlin
Brahms 1 is in print anywhere. It's on an Arkiv CD-R.
https://lee.classite.com/music/Furtwangler/furtwangler-discography-2.htm#No.1
My bad. I meant Bruckner 4.
Based on one of your previous posts, I realized that it is in this box. Great value, and the sound - at least in 4 - is roughly identical to DG

https://www.amazon.com/Furtw%C3%A4ngler-Conducts-Bruckner-Symphonies-Nos/dp/B0012XIGZU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+bruckner&qid=1595177570&sr=8-1
dk
2020-07-18 02:09:15 UTC
Post by msw design
Dear friends,
Post by msw design
I also think that if you find all of us helpful, you will appreciate even more John Ardoin's The Furtwangler Record, which reviews his nearly entire catalog of recordings and offers appraisals on every one. Since Ardoin's death there have been some releases that Ardoin only had in inferior transfers, so the book is a bit dated, but it can help you find the best performances out there.
Even the one "negative" review of the book makes clear how valuable Ardoin can be even as we must use our own ears.
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/dp/0931340691/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=furtwangler+record+ardoin&qid=1594933800&s=music&sr=8-1
They don't compare with this:

dk
Gonzalo Candia
2020-07-18 03:11:03 UTC
Post by msw design
Dear friends,
http://youtu.be/LY7m119eOys
dk
Gonzalo Candia
dk
msw design
2020-07-18 15:56:43 UTC
Post by Gonzalo Candia
Dear friends, How do you think about this set: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1375675
Worthy of purchase? I was looking, precisely, for the Sibelius violin concert? Any thoughts? Danke! Hahaha
I don't have it, and I don't reach to Andromeda as a first choice, even if they are capable of a good transfer (or stealing a good source.) The Sibelius on DG is here. 4 Cds for $15.

https://www.amazon.com/Wilhelm-Furtwangler-Recordings-1942-1944-Vol/dp/B00005ONMK/ref=pd_sbs_15_3/132-5141001-9556860?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00005ONMK&pd_rd_r=f56d2748-8237-4e93-87ad-e0f0d084fd52&pd_rd_w=PaeQO&pd_rd_wg=7UJ0V&pf_rd_p=bdc67ba8-ab69-42ee-b8d8-8f5336b36a83&pf_rd_r=DPSDBBJ5FFB7G2FSWEFA&psc=1&refRID=DPSDBBJ5FFB7G2FSWEFA
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-17 01:28:16 UTC
Dear friends,
http://classicalnotes.net/features/furtwangler.html