Fauré- Complete Nocturnes and Barcarolles
2020-07-16 23:48:03 UTC
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-17 01:23:05 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
Lot of competition out there:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
dk
2020-07-17 05:28:03 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin and
Evelyne Crochet, throw away all others.
Especially Heidsieck.

dk
Owen
2020-07-17 13:24:54 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin and
Evelyne Crochet, throw away all others.
Especially Heidsieck.
dk
DK's Guide to De-Cluttering Your CD Collection.

-Yet Another CD Hoarder
MELMOTH13
2020-07-17 16:40:23 UTC
This guy has absolutely NO sense of the RIDICULOUSNESS...
Lawrence Kart
Just one CD's worth, but Esteban Sanchez?
Frank Berger
2020-07-17 21:06:59 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin and
Evelyne Crochet, throw away all others.
Especially Heidsieck.
dk
Just one CD's worth, but Esteban Sanchez?
Definitely. There was a Faure discussion in RMCR a couple
of years ago.
Oscar
2020-07-17 21:43:20 UTC
Jean-Philippe Collard?
dk
2020-07-18 02:06:01 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by dk
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin and
Evelyne Crochet, throw away all others.
Especially Heidsieck.
Jean-Philippe Collard?
Yikes! Cold and athletic.
Precisely what this music
does not need.

dk
Me
2020-07-18 14:39:16 UTC
Post by Oscar
Post by dk
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin and
Evelyne Crochet, throw away all others.
Especially Heidsieck.
Jean-Philippe Collard?
Collard FTW IMO.

George
JohnGavin
2020-07-18 15:18:35 UTC
how quoted text -

I tried her recording on the Testament label. I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious to me ears — too refined. The image that came to mind while listening to it was one a a finely fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate French lady with a parasol. Faure is better than that. Chacun a son gout.
Me
2020-07-18 15:41:57 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label. I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious to me ears — too refined. The image that came to mind while listening to it was one a a finely fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate French lady with a parasol. Faure is better than that. Chacun a son gout.
Yeah, I agree. Valentin's Faure is highly overrated.

George
c***@gmail.com
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
Ricardo Jimenez
2020-07-19 01:18:26 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label. I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious to me ears — too refined. The image that came to mind while listening to it was one a a finely fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate French lady with a parasol. Faure is better than that. Chacun a son gout.
Yeah, I agree. Valentin's Faure is highly overrated.
George
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
The version I have is by British pianist Paul Crossley. It is that
good that I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-19 17:35:33 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label. I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious to me ears — too refined. The image that came to mind while listening to it was one a a finely fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate French lady with a parasol. Faure is better than that. Chacun a son gout.
Yeah, I agree. Valentin's Faure is highly overrated.
George
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
The version I have is by British pianist Paul Crossley. It is that
good that I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
I agree -- all of Crossley's Faure is worthy. He's especially valuable in the fascinating and forbidding later Nocturnes. (Yvonne Lefebure, in the few she did, may be even stronger.) Also agree with ctimb above that Heidsieck's Barcarolles are not up to his excellent Nocturnes. Collard is, I think, at his least convincing in the Nocturnes. Many other worthy Faure performances in his set, among them the Barcarolles. T-V I find disappointing but so far haven't culled. I prefer the super-romantic Emma Boynet. Like the canonical Albert Ferber, Boynet recorded maybe 40% of the piano works. No official CD releases.

SE.
Mark Obert-Thorn
2020-07-20 13:13:33 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
I prefer the super-romantic Emma Boynet. Like the canonical Albert Ferber, Boynet recorded maybe 40% of the piano works. No official CD releases.
It's coming from APR. I just finished the transfers.

Mark O-T
Steve Emerson
2020-07-21 02:38:57 UTC
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
Post by Steve Emerson
I prefer the super-romantic Emma Boynet. Like the canonical Albert Ferber, Boynet recorded maybe 40% of the piano works. No official CD releases.
It's coming from APR. I just finished the transfers.
As Alan says, this is really good news, MO-T. Thanks for letting us know! I've just been listening to her Nocturne #4 on YouTube, where it's mis-labeled as #3. "Super-romantic" isn't quite accurate for this, as my friend suggests. On the other hand, it's the antithesis of dry, and in this case that's a very good thing.

SE.
Oscar
2020-07-21 02:46:13 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Mark Obert-Thorn
Post by Steve Emerson
I prefer the super-romantic Emma Boynet. Like the canonical Albert Ferber, Boynet recorded maybe
40% of the piano works. No official CD releases.
It's coming from APR. I just finished the transfers.
As Alan says, this is really good news, MO-T. Thanks for letting us know! I've just been listening to her
Nocturne #4 on YouTube, where it's mis-labeled as #3. "Super-romantic" isn't quite accurate for this, as
my friend suggests. On the other hand, it's the antithesis of dry, and in this case that's a very good thing.
Never heard of this pianist. The well-spring of classical music is seemingly bottomless and full of riches. Looking forward to this set. Still listening to the Casadesus set on APR from 2019, The Complete French Columbia Recordings, 1928-1939. Arrived in January and it is seldom far from the CD player.

I still don't understand DK's allergy to Collard in these works.
Lawrence Kart
On that Nocturne No. 4 on You Tube, Boynet sounds like her fingers are sticking to the keys, as though she's playing on a very warm day a piano made of caramel.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-21 03:38:32 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
[...]
Not sure I know what that means, but I enjoyed reading it. Am I to conclude that you like her less than T-V?

SE.
Lawrence Kart
2020-07-21 04:13:40 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
[...]
It means that I hear a lack of articulation, as though when Boyant's fingers touch the keys they unduly linger there -- stuck, as it were, to a sticky surface.

Between her and V-T? They're so different it would be hard for me to decide. Perhaps M O-T's remastering will alter some of Boyant's "stickiness." In any case, I'll take Albert Ferber.
Frank Berger
2020-07-21 13:26:47 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
[...]
Speaking of Ferber, has anyone noticed the recent Eloquence
collection? No Faure.

https://tinyurl.com/y6zsmnfw
Steve Emerson
2020-07-21 14:52:40 UTC
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
[...]
No, but very interested. (Though found his Debussy dull.) The Faure was on Saga. Two LPs, two CDs. Balance off in both versions of one of them.

SE.
JohnGavin
2020-07-21 15:25:54 UTC
No, but very interested. (Though found his Debussy dull.) The Faure was on Saga. Two LPs, two CDs. Balance off in both versions of one of them.

SE.

I agree Steve, Ferber’s Faure is great, his Debussy disappointing, although part of the let down is in the mediocre engineering of the recordings.

Hearing the Eloquence collection, again, I found nothing special there, but Ferber fans should check it out.
Raymond Hall
2020-07-21 20:46:57 UTC
I was just about to press the trigger on Ferber's Debussy, and don't buy collections, so it looks like I'll wait for his Faure, if it ever eventuates. I had the LPs, many 100s of moons ago.

2020-07-21 21:47:12 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
I was just about to press the trigger on Ferber's Debussy, and don't buy collections, so it looks like I'll wait for his Faure, if it ever eventuates. I had the LPs, many 100s of moons ago.
Ray Hall, Taree
As long as Ferber's Fauré is unavailable it will be the best.

Has anyone actually seen the Saga vol. 1?
Steve Emerson
2020-07-22 14:58:47 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
I was just about to press the trigger on Ferber's Debussy, and don't buy collections, so it looks like I'll wait for his Faure, if it ever eventuates. I had the LPs, many 100s of moons ago.
Ray Hall, Taree
As long as Ferber's Fauré is unavailable it will be the best.
Has anyone actually seen the Saga vol. 1?
I have it on CDR, without scans. Like you, I succeeded in buying it on LP before a friend located either the CD or someone who had it.

SE.
Frank Berger
2020-07-22 15:11:19 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Raymond Hall
I was just about to press the trigger on Ferber's Debussy, and don't buy collections, so it looks like I'll wait for his Faure, if it ever eventuates. I had the LPs, many 100s of moons ago.
Ray Hall, Taree
As long as Ferber's Fauré is unavailable it will be the best.
Has anyone actually seen the Saga vol. 1?
I have it on CDR, without scans. Like you, I succeeded in buying it on LP before a friend located either the CD or someone who had it.
SE.
I have about 20 LPs of stuff never released on CD, that I
have intended to transfer myself. I never seem to get
around to it. I have the equipment and software but not the
motivation, I guess. Come to think of it, I haven't checked
in a long time to see of any of that has since become
available on CD or CD-R. Going to do that right now!
Steve Emerson
2020-07-22 15:21:20 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Raymond Hall
I was just about to press the trigger on Ferber's Debussy, and don't buy collections, so it looks like I'll wait for his Faure, if it ever eventuates. I had the LPs, many 100s of moons ago.
Ray Hall, Taree
As long as Ferber's Fauré is unavailable it will be the best.
Has anyone actually seen the Saga vol. 1?
I have it on CDR, without scans. Like you, I succeeded in buying it on LP before a friend located either the CD or someone who had it.
SE.
I have about 20 LPs of stuff never released on CD, that I
have intended to transfer myself. I never seem to get
around to it. I have the equipment and software but not the
motivation, I guess. Come to think of it, I haven't checked
in a long time to see of any of that has since become
available on CD or CD-R. Going to do that right now!
My enthusiasm for transferring LPs has waned, and further stalled by needing to update applications for OS compatibility. Note though that the Ferber Faure, both volumes, have in fact appeared on CD. Catalog number for what the CDs call "Volume One" is EC 3398-2, release apparently 1993.

SE.
Frank Berger
2020-07-22 18:03:02 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Raymond Hall
[...]
Oh, I know that it exists on paper. I've never seen an
actual copy offered for sale. It's interesting that volume 1
has a catalog number higher than volume 2. I realize that
may mean nothing.

Frank Berger
2020-07-21 15:57:38 UTC
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Lawrence Kart
Post by Steve Emerson
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
[...]
I have the Saga vol. 2. Never seen vol. 1, though I have it
on LP.
AB
2020-07-19 19:40:02 UTC
Post by Ricardo Jimenez
Post by c***@gmail.com
Post by Me
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label. I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious to me ears — too refined. The image that came to mind while listening to it was one a a finely fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate French lady with a parasol. Faure is better than that. Chacun a son gout.
Yeah, I agree. Valentin's Faure is highly overrated.
George
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
The version I have is by British pianist Paul Crossley. It is that
good that I am surprised nobody has mentioned it.
agree......

AB
MickeyBoy
2020-07-19 19:00:09 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
There is something in Crossley's Faure that I find rather irritating. Perhaps my loss. I want to ask Prof Timbrell his opinion of Jean Hubeau's integrale and Lonquich's Impromptus. It seems that the only Barcarolles I have is Hubeau's.

And for other commentators: I think it is a mistake to think of Faure as in any way effeminate.

Thanks to all - this is a good thread.
Steve Emerson
2020-07-19 19:15:37 UTC
Post by MickeyBoy
Post by c***@gmail.com
Yes, T-V is overrated. Better in the Barcarolles than the Nocturnes. Heidsieck better in the Nocturnes than the Barcarolles.
There is something in Crossley's Faure that I find rather irritating. Perhaps my loss. I want to ask Prof Timbrell his opinion of Jean Hubeau's integrale and Lonquich's Impromptus. It seems that the only Barcarolles I have is Hubeau's.
And for other commentators: I think it is a mistake to think of Faure as in any way effeminate.
Thanks to all - this is a good thread.
I am not the professor, but am very partial to the Hubeau set. As you know, it is exceedingly dry, much dryer than Heidsieck's playing, but that's not altogether bad in Faure. Better that than the opposite. He's intelligent.

Marguerite Long btw (who for some is synonymous with dry/sec) is indispensable.

SE.
dk
2020-07-19 10:49:59 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label.
I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious
to me ears — too refined. The image that came
to mind while listening to it was one a a finely
fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate
French lady with a parasol.
Suits the music to a T.
Post by JohnGavin
Fauré is better than that.
How would one know? Or find out?
Post by JohnGavin
Chacun a son gout.
Ou son dégoût.

2020-07-19 13:26:56 UTC
it.
6:50 AMdk
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label.
I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious
to me ears — too refined. The image that came
to mind while listening to it was one a a finely
fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate
French lady with a parasol.
Suits the music to a T.

It does if you believe Faure’s piano music is prissy.

Prissy (def.) - prom and proper
dk
2020-07-20 06:34:29 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
it.
6:50 AMdk
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label.
I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious
to me ears — too refined. The image that came
to mind while listening to it was one a a finely
fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate
French lady with a parasol.
Suits the music to a T.
It does if you believe Faure’s piano music is prissy.
Prissy (def.) - prom and proper
Thyssens-Valentin studied with Faure
and the latter apparently stated she
and performed his music better than
anyone else. Who am I to disagree?

I have heard other approaches, most
notably Esteban Sanchez, that while
colorful and exciting seem to lack
the quiet intimacy Thyssens Valentin
captures so precisely.

Oh well....

2020-07-20 06:36:04 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
it.
6:50 AMdk
Post by JohnGavin
how quoted text -
Most of them incompetent in this music.
Keep Germaine Thyssens Valentin
I tried her recording on the Testament label.
I didn’t care for it. It was overly precious
to me ears — too refined. The image that came
to mind while listening to it was one a a finely
fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate
French lady with a parasol.
Suits the music to a T.
It does if you believe Faure’s piano music is prissy.
Prissy (def.) - prom and proper
Thyssens-Valentin studied with Faure
and the latter apparently stated she
and understood and performed his music

2020-07-20 17:49:05 UTC
Thyssens-Valentin studied with Faure
and the latter apparently stated she
and understood and performed his music
better than anyone else. Who am I to
disagree?

Well, if that is true, the “better than anyone else” would mean anyone else before 1924 - the year he died.
All the preferred versions mentioned here are recorded after 1950 - the bulk being much later. It’s not a question of agreeing or disagreeing, but Of widening one’s views.

Whatever interpretation gives one the deepest pleasure and fulfillment is the best IMO.
Raymond Hall
2020-07-19 14:24:00 UTC
I tried her recording on the Testament label.
I didn’t care for it.  It was overly precious
to me ears — too refined.  The image that came
to mind while listening to it was one a a finely
fussed over French Poodle being walked by a delicate
French lady with a parasol.
Faure provokes many images, and parasols and poodles are closer than gilded spittoons.

Ry Hall, Taree
JohnGavin

Or, come to think of it, sumo wrestlers.
Lawrence Kart
2020-07-20 16:36:02 UTC
how quoted text -
Post by JohnGavin
Fauré is better than that.
How would one know? Or find out?
Post by JohnGavin
Chacun a son gout.
Ou son dégoût.
dk
From a 2008 post by DK on Thyssens Valentin's Faure: "Very small scale and prissy. It stinks."

What happened between then and now?

BTW, I agree with DK's earlier assessment of TV's Faure, minus the "it stinks."
g***@gmail.com
2020-07-20 17:24:29 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
According to this:

- I'd say Crochet's Faure playing stands up well against any of the highly regarded Faure pianists of the past & present.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?topic=28559.40
JohnGavin
2020-07-20 17:37:59 UTC

I remember her recordings on Vox boxes very fondly. Have they ever appeared on CD? There is a very gentil WTC by her On CD. I will revisit it.
c***@gmail.com
2020-07-20 18:08:51 UTC
- I'd say Crochet's Faure playing stands up well against any of the highly regarded Faure pianists of the past & present.
I remember her recordings on Vox boxes very fondly. Have they ever appeared on CD? There is a very gentil WTC by her On CD. I will revisit it.
For Crochet on CD, try http://evelynecrochet.com/purchase.html. Some patience and persistence may be required, but eventually they'll come through. Note, however, that her Fauré was transferred from LPs, which is a mixed blessing. I'm excited by MO-T's report that his transfers of Boynet will be available soon. I have only one beat-up copy of her recording of six Barcarolles and a few additional works. I don't know that I would characterize her as "super-romantic." There is a certain amount of freedom, to be sure, but no loss of lucidity and poise. However you describe the performances, they sound terrific to me.

I've never warmed to Hubeau's solo Fauré, but do recommend the Apex reissue of his recordings of the Piano Quartets and Quintets with the Via Nova Quartet and other artists including the great Navarra.

2020-07-21 03:15:16 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Marc-Andre Hamelin announced this as his next recording project. This will be very interesting.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.music.classical.recordings/faure$20nocturnes$20barcarolles%7Csort:relevance
2014 BBC radio program on the Nocturnes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01w5741