Robert Schumann's piano concerto
Add Reply
Chris J.
2021-11-22 13:00:58 UTC
Looking for recommendations of recordings of Robert Schumann's piano
concerto in modern stereo. Any HIP ones?
Currently I own Kempff/Kubelik (DG, 1974) and Arrau/Dohnaniy (Philips,
1963) and wonder if there are perhaps more recent ones I should get.

Chris
Alex Brown
2021-11-22 14:33:11 UTC
Post by Chris J.
Looking for recommendations of recordings of Robert Schumann's piano
concerto in modern stereo. Any HIP ones?
Currently I own Kempff/Kubelik (DG, 1974) and Arrau/Dohnaniy (Philips,
1963) and wonder if there are perhaps more recent ones I should get.
Chris
Howard Shelley with the Orchestra of Opera North (Chandos). Yes really.
One of those recordings that makes you wonder if nobody else "gets it".

Previously discussed on this group ...
Frank Berger
I have many versions of this. The earliest was recorded in 1927 (Ronald/Cortot). The latest Howard Shelley in 2008. Probably acquired that for the Saint-Saints PC#2 accompanying it. Nothing remotely hip. I googled "hip version of Schumann piano concerto" and came up empty.
nk Tomm
2021-11-22 23:31:18 UTC
Brendel & Sanderling : tasteful and calm, but forceful.
Dan Koren
2021-11-23 00:02:47 UTC
Post by nk Tomm
Brendel & Sanderling : tasteful and calm, but forceful.
"Tasteful"? You must have meant DEAD.

There are too many great Schumann PC
recordings for Brendull to even stick his
fingers into it.

Multiple versions each by Michelangeli,
Richter, Argerich, Pletnev, Virsaladze,
Freire.

No need for Brendull.

dk
Dan Koren
2021-11-23 00:06:40 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by nk Tomm
Brendel & Sanderling : tasteful and calm, but forceful.
"Tasteful"? You must have meant DEAD.
There are too many great Schumann PC
recordings for Brendull to even stick his
fingers into it.
Multiple versions each by Michelangeli,
Richter, Argerich, Pletnev, Virsaladze,
Freire.
Rubinstein, Anda and Janis no slouches
either.

dk
Chris from Lafayette
2021-11-23 00:28:58 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Dan Koren
Post by nk Tomm
Brendel & Sanderling : tasteful and calm, but forceful.
"Tasteful"? You must have meant DEAD.
There are too many great Schumann PC
recordings for Brendull to even stick his
fingers into it.
Multiple versions each by Michelangeli,
Richter, Argerich, Pletnev, Virsaladze,
Freire.
Rubinstein, Anda and Janis no slouches
either.
dk
I actually like Janis/Skrowaczewski better than Janis/Reiner. Also Fleisher/Szell (for basic American kinetic energy), or (for something more rhapsodic and more tonally interesting) Moravec/Neumann (better than Moravec's recording with the Dallas SO on Dorian IMHO). De gustibus and all that.