Beethovens 9th best recording?
Add Reply
Tony
2004-03-03 21:18:35 UTC
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
Many Thanks,
Tony White

---
Akiralx
2004-03-03 22:13:14 UTC
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
There is no 'best' version really - and you will get many recommendations.

I assume he wants a traditional (i.e. non-historically informed, using
period instruments) performance - although I'm only saying that because he's
old, which is presumptious I know - and in reasonable sound, and easily
available. So I would go for (in chronological order):

Philharmonia O/Furtwangler Tahra (1954 mono but fine sound)
BPO/Fricsay DG Originals
BPO/Abbado Sony
Staatskapelle Berlin/Barenboim Teldec - which is the one I'd go for:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005Y34M/qid=1078351944/sr=1-64/r
ef=sr_1_0_64/026-6943444-5020436

International Record Review surveyed the Choral a while back, their top
choices were the Fricsay above, Wand on RCA, Boehm on DG (1970, not his
boring 1980 remake), and Blomstedt on Brilliant Classics (only available as
part of a very cheap cycle which you could get instead of just the 9th).

Hope this helps.

Alex
Victor Chen
2004-03-04 05:44:28 UTC
Post by Akiralx
International Record Review surveyed the Choral a while back, their top
choices were the Fricsay above, Wand on RCA, Boehm on DG (1970, not his
boring 1980 remake), and Blomstedt on Brilliant Classics (only available as
part of a very cheap cycle which you could get instead of just the 9th).
Yes, you can get all of Blomstedt's Beethoven Symphonies for ~$15... around
the full price of 1 CD.

Victor
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-04 01:54:00 UTC
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
Many Thanks,
Tony White
Good solid options that have withstood the test of time. (I am assuming he
would like stereo sound or we could go straight to Furtwangler, Toscanini,
Jochum, or Weingartner.)

Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic on DGG (1963)
(with Gundula Janowitz, soprano)

Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic on DGG (1978)

Fritz Reiner conducting the Chicago Symphony on RCA (or BMG)

Dohnanyi conducting the Cleveland Orchestra on Telarc
Feuillade
2004-03-05 16:51:50 UTC
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my
question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of
Beethovens 9th Choral.
These are the ones I would recommend (in roughly chronological order):

1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
4) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
5) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)

Those are the ones I would consider essential.

If you want digital sound I would go for Gunter Wand on RCA.

Tom Moran

"I think this economy's coming along just fine, frankly.''
-- George W. Bush
on Meet the Press 2/8/04
Matthew B. Tepper (Earthlink)
2004-03-05 20:36:24 UTC
Post by Feuillade
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral.
1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
4) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
5) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)
Those are the ones I would consider essential.
If you want digital sound I would go for Gunter Wand on RCA.
Interesting list; I include 1, 2, and 4 on my list, so I think I probably
should investigate the others. The live Klemp has been mentioned here many
times by others as well, so I'll prioritize that one. And I had been
wondering about that live Walter with British performers; how's the singing?
War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's Fault!
Feuillade
2004-03-06 07:03:02 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper (Earthlink)
Post by Feuillade
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my
question relates to my elderly Father
who wants a CD recording of
Beethovens 9th Choral.
These are the ones I would recommend
1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
4) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
5) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)
Those are the ones I would consider
essential.
If you want digital sound I would go for
Gunter Wand on RCA.
Interesting list; I include 1, 2, and 4 on
my list, so I think I probably should
investigate the others. The live Klemp
has been mentioned here many
times by others as well, so I'll prioritize
that one. And I had been wondering
about that live Walter with British
performers; how's the singing?
The singing is fine, but it's Walter's propulsive conducting that really sells
it.

The most disappointing 9th for me is Horenstein's on Vox, which is near-ideal
until it completely falls apart in the last movement.

But I should also mention Karajan's 1962 9th for a good stereo-but-not-digital
recording. And Furtwangler's 1942 Berlin live recording, although I can see
why some people might be squeamish about it.

So my revised list would be:

1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Furtwangler/BPO 1942 (Music & Arts)
4) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
5) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
6) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)
7) Karajan/BPO 1962 (DG)
8) Wand/NGRSO 1989 (RCA)

The ones I *haven't* heard but would like to investigate are Stokowski's 1934
recording (which I can't seem to find anywhere), and Gardner's digital
recording, which everyone seems to gush about).

Also, Gunter Wand has a 9th out on Testament that he did sometime in the 50s
that looks interesting.

on Meet the Press 2/8/04
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-03-06 17:44:42 UTC
Post by Feuillade
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral.
1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
4) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
5) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)
Those are the ones I would consider essential.
If you want digital sound I would go for Gunter Wand on RCA.
Interesting list; I include 1, 2, and 4 on my list, so I think I
probably should investigate the others. The live Klemp has been
mentioned here many times by others as well, so I'll prioritize that
one. And I had been wondering about that live Walter with British
performers; how's the singing?
The singing is fine, but it's Walter's propulsive conducting that really
sells it.
Thanks, that to me would be an interesting contrast to his commercial
recordings, particularly the stereo Columbia Symphony one.
Post by Feuillade
The most disappointing 9th for me is Horenstein's on Vox, which is
near-ideal until it completely falls apart in the last movement.
Not to mention the odd word-substitution in the first verse of the Ode.
Still, this was my "imprint" version of the work, and I have a great deal
of affection for it.
Post by Feuillade
But I should also mention Karajan's 1962 9th for a good stereo-but-not-
digital recording. And Furtwangler's 1942 Berlin live recording,
although I can see why some people might be squeamish about it.
Ah, the "Shriek to Ersatz Joy"?
Post by Feuillade
1) Weingartner/VPO 1935 (Naxos)
2) Toscanini/NBCSO 1939 (Naxos)
3) Furtwangler/BPO 1942 (Music & Arts)
4) Walter/LPO 1947 (Music & Arts)
5) Furtwangler/PO 1954 Lucerne (Tahra)
6) Klemperer/PO 1957 (Testament)
7) Karajan/BPO 1962 (DG)
8) Wand/NGRSO 1989 (RCA)
The ones I *haven't* heard but would like to investigate are Stokowski's
1934 recording (which I can't seem to find anywhere),
I'm surprised that Cala hasn't seemed to get around to it yet. I think
that Dave Canfield made a private LP release on his Rarissima label decades
ago (apparently he knew Agnes Davis and issued some of her recordings with
Stoky, of which this was one), but that too would be long OOP.
Post by Feuillade
and Gardner's digital recording, which everyone seems to gush about).
Also, Gunter Wand has a 9th out on Testament that he did sometime in the
50s that looks interesting.
Haven't heard either of those. Yet.
War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!
Andy Evans
2019-08-30 21:46:00 UTC
I was prompted to re-open this thread by listening to the first two movements in the car and finding them rather tedious and quite boring in terms of melody and richness of thematic material. It seemed to me that there was a lot of repetition and all underpinned by frequent tympani blows. Far from being "a towering masterpiece of Western music" or equivalent hyperbole, it seemed to me one of the weakest of the 9 symphonies. I didn't listen beyond the first two movements since I got out of the car. Maybe it was a boring performance (BBC/Oramo, Proms) or maybe the real riches are in the later movements. Whatever, I was pretty puzzled at the reputation this music seems to have. Anyone else had these sacrilegious thoughts?
Todd Michel McComb
2019-08-30 22:02:28 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I was prompted to re-open this thread by listening to the first
two movements in the car and finding them rather tedious and quite
boring in terms of melody and richness of thematic material. ....
Anyone else had these sacrilegious thoughts?
One vector for generating such thoughts is that an iconic work such
as this is copied so often & in so many ways in so many places.
That easily goes beyond the overplaying of the piece itself. Its
influence thus rots its own individuality from the inside, so to
speak. And there is really no way not to experience this saturation,
short of avoiding music influenced by Beethoven! So what was once
striking becomes boring....
Andy Evans
I don't think it's any more complicated than my personal feeling that the first 2 movements are some way down the list of my favourite Beethoven symphony movements. Some way below symphonies 3,4,5,6 and 7 for sure. I don't do "grandiose" in music very easily so all the heroic stuff usually passes me by completely with some exceptions.
Todd Michel McComb
2019-08-30 22:27:24 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I don't do "grandiose" in music very easily so all the heroic stuff
usually passes me by completely with some exceptions.
Well I can definitely relate to that. Heroism seems to be a
particularly time-bound genre today, for one thing: Older notions
of the heroic fade in favor of e.g. comic book movies, which are
extremely popular for their over-the-top style -- which must be
absolutely contemporary, i.e. illustrating the latest CGI etc., in
order to be popular.

The heroic in Beethoven, of course, came to define the subsequent
characterization of the composer per se. It goes far beyond the
imitation of any particular piece, although the 9th in particular
was taken as a starting point for so many followers....
Bozo
2019-08-30 23:54:04 UTC
Post by Todd Michel McComb
Well I can definitely relate to that. Heroism seems to be a
particularly time-bound genre today,
Moriz Rosenthal's view ( from the Evans/Mitchell book ), with which I am largely sympathetic:

"No,the grand manner did not "come in" at one special date, and "go out"at another.The grand manner is, very simply--a grand manner.A manner of playing which forms itself upon grand concepts,makes such concepts personal by grand enthusiasms...a matter of personal convictions,personal inspirations,personal thought... (Any age could produce musicians in the grand manner if only) the representatives of that age will take the trouble to cultivate those habits of thought...The more typical representatives of this modern day seem less concerned with a free outpouring of generous enthusiaisms,than with the practical means of achieving some goal.It is not considered "smart" to give unfettered expressions to one's deepest emotions.The modern school of interpretation has left stark,cragged heroism behind..It strikes, at best,into a sweet,well-regulated field-vale-and -woodland order of feelings...The throb of splendor, of heroism, attendant upon the hazards of personal encounter in war, fell into discard with the arrival of shrapnel and tanks.And a " tank and shrapnel" philosophy extends beyond the battle-field into every human act. There is little heroism in this post-war (WW I ) life;people have grown cynical and dulled.They call heroism a gesture and wonder what is the good of it.As well ask the " good " of truth and beauty and sacrifice.It is the spirit of postwar cynicism, of benefit seeking, of tank mechanism that has crept into today's playing.It has come unconsciously,of course,but,nonetheless, there it is."
Todd Michel McComb
2019-08-31 00:11:21 UTC
"No,the grand manner did not "come in" at one special date, and "go
out"at another.
Indeed, but as noted, its appreciation is especially tied today to
being contemporary. We produce aesthetic heroes today as well...
but in places like Marvel Avengers. Or on American Idol, to get
quasi-musical.
g***@gmail.com
The triumphant heroism of most symphonic music is also not for me. The impact probably comes off better live than on record.
Bozo
2019-08-30 22:25:07 UTC
I listen to # 9 mainly to hear its second mov.
Ed Presson
2019-08-31 20:33:54 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I was prompted to re-open this thread by listening to the first two
movements in the car and finding them >rather tedious and quite boring in
terms of melody and richness of thematic material.
I listen to # 9 mainly to hear its second mov.
So do I, and Reiner's recording is my favorite of the 2nd mvmt.

Ed Presson
Bozo
2019-08-31 22:23:27 UTC
Post by Ed Presson
So do I, and Reiner's recording is my favorite of the 2nd mvmt.
Mine are Toscanini/NBC ( imprint ) , Reiner, Munch/BSO,fww.

Katsaris’ recording of the Liszt transcription of 2nd mov. , with score here. Liszt’s very good, too, and so technically difficult SO much more so than sounds (!!) ( my recording is Scherbakov on Naxos ) :

r***@gmail.com
2019-08-31 23:13:52 UTC
Adding to my previous thoughts, I should also add that each of the first 3 movements are well composed and enjoyable taken on their own.

For LvB's orchestral music I much prefer his overtures, and I remember a great LP I once had of many of them including the 3 Leonoras, brilliantly done by Szell/Cleveland.

Ray Hall, Taree
Raymond Hall
2019-08-31 03:47:08 UTC
Post by Andy Evans
I was prompted to re-open this thread by listening to the first two movements in the car and finding them rather tedious and quite boring in terms of melody and richness of thematic material. It seemed to me that there was a lot of repetition and all underpinned by frequent tympani blows. Far from being "a towering masterpiece of Western music" or equivalent hyperbole, it seemed to me one of the weakest of the 9 symphonies. I didn't listen beyond the first two movements since I got out of the car. Maybe it was a boring performance (BBC/Oramo, Proms) or maybe the real riches are in the later movements. Whatever, I was pretty puzzled at the reputation this music seems to have. Anyone else had these sacrilegious thoughts?
Yes, to the point where I avoid the 9th like the plague. It relies a lot on its sheer grandiosity, especially wrt the final movement, allied as it is to what I find a main theme of great banality. At least to these ears. In symphonic terms Beethoven's Eroica was his greatest statement. His piano trios, string quartets, various concertos including his 5 pcs, alone, along with the Eroica, will preserve his name forever. Fwiw.

2019-08-31 07:06:48 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Yes, to the point where I avoid the 9th like the plague. It relies a lot on its sheer grandiosity, especially wrt the final movement, allied as it is to what I find a main theme of great banality. At least to these ears. In symphonic terms Beethoven's Eroica was his greatest statement. His piano trios, string quartets, various concertos including his 5 pcs, alone, along with the Eroica, will preserve his name forever. Fwiw.
Post by Raymond Hall
Ray Hall, Taree
You read my thoughts exactly - I couldn't have put it better. I for one wonder why he did not use the kind of material he was using in his late quartets and piano sonatas in a symphony. If he had I could imagine the result leaning more towards Sibelius, but centuries in advance of that.
Bob Harper
2019-08-31 16:28:25 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Ray Hall, Taree
You read my thoughts exactly - I couldn't have put it better. I for one wonder why he did not use the kind of material he was using in his late quartets and piano sonatas in a symphony. If he had I could imagine the result leaning more towards Sibelius, but centuries in advance of that.
Though the Finale seems to me the weakest movement, I think the first
three movements of the 9th are great music. Grandiose? At times,
yes--but why is that considered a defect? Of course, Beethoven did not
know it was his final symphony, and at least began a 10th. One wonders
whether he might not have done exactly what Andy proposes. That would
have been fascinating, but we'll never know this side of Heaven.

2019-08-31 16:41:49 UTC
It seems to me to be a case of familiarity breeds contempt. When I hear the 9th I say to myself, that’s a once every 2 year piece. Living in age age when it’s so easy the hear anything spoils things.
Bob Harper
2019-08-31 18:55:59 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
It seems to me to be a case of familiarity breeds contempt. When I hear the 9th I say to myself, that’s a once every 2 year piece. Living in age age when it’s so easy the hear anything spoils things.
That's certainly true. It is the default New Year's piece in Japan, and
is becoming so in this country. Add to that the EU's conscription of it
(at least iv), and over-familiarity becomes almost a certainty. I find
that is I listen to the Beethoven String Quartets too often, they become
stale (!) and I have to take a break. Returning to them after an
absence, however, always makes me marvel. The same goes for a lot of the
greatest music; we may tire of it temporarily, but returning after an
absence is almost always gratifying.

2019-09-04 09:14:17 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
It seems to me to be a case of familiarity breeds contempt. When I hear the 9th I say to myself, that’s a once every 2 year piece. Living in age age when it’s so easy the hear anything spoils things.
That's certainly true. It is the default New Year's piece in Japan, and
is becoming so in this country. Add to that the EU's conscription of it
(at least iv), and over-familiarity becomes almost a certainty. I find
that is I listen to the Beethoven String Quartets too often, they become
stale (!) and I have to take a break. Returning to them after an
absence, however, always makes me marvel. The same goes for a lot of the
greatest music; we may tire of it temporarily, but returning after an
absence is almost always gratifying.
Bob Harper
The following recent article seems to be suggesting that one should listen to Beethoven and Bach to beat depression:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.classical/B9Gr8eBNoS0
John Hood
2019-09-01 00:45:51 UTC
Post by Raymond Hall
Ray Hall, Taree
You read my thoughts exactly - I couldn't have put it better. I for one wonder why he did not use the kind of material he was using in his late quartets and piano sonatas in a symphony. If he had I could imagine the result leaning more towards Sibelius, but centuries in advance of that.
Excuse me for asking, but how long are your centuries? :)

JH
Andy Evans
2019-09-01 08:50:53 UTC
Well spotted! Should have been "a century" (more or less...). The trouble with firing off posts here is that you can't go back and edit them, so the clunkers go down for posterity.
Bozo
2019-09-01 13:30:03 UTC
The trouble with firing off posts here is that you can't go back and edit them, so the clunkers go down for >posterity.
Better than going down from posteriors , which your posts never are.
Tatonik
2019-08-31 21:26:14 UTC
This John Cage story might be applicable to the final movement of
Beethoven's 9th:

"I had just heard The Messiah with Mrs. Henry Allen Moe and she said,
'Don't you love the Hallelujah Chorus?' and I said, 'No, I can't stand
it.' So she said, 'Don't you like to be moved?' and I said, 'I don't
mind being moved, but I don't like to be pushed.'"
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-04 01:55:09 UTC
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
Many Thanks,
Tony White
---
Oh yeah... I forgot:

Wand on RCA/BMG
Mackerras on Classics for Pleasure
Gardiner on Archiv
Hogwood on L'oiseau Lyre
Ward Hardman
2004-03-04 02:47:13 UTC
Tony <***@spam_lessblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
: Hi,
: I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
: Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral.

Is your father elderly enough so that his hearing isn't the best?
If so, you could consider some monaural "historical" performances:

- Weingartner, Vienna Phil. - 1935 (Naxos)
- Furtwangler, Bayreuth Festival - 1951 (EMI)
- Toscanini, NBC Sym. - 1939 (Naxos)

For something in stereo, you could try

- Kegel, Dresden Phil. - ~1983 (Laserlight) [About $6, get all 9 for $18]
- Blomstedt, Dresden, Staatskapelle - 19?? (Laserlight) [about $7]
- Kubelik, Bavarian RSO - (Orfeo d'Or)
- Klemperer, Philharmonia - ~1957 (Testament)
- Karajan, Berlin Phil - 1962 (DG Originals)

Watch out for those 'K' conductors! ;-)

--Ward Hardman

"The older I get, the more I admire and crave competence, just simple
competence, in any field from adultery to zoology."
- H.L. Mencken
notrump15-17
Paul Goldstein
2004-03-04 05:10:18 UTC
Post by notrump15-17
My favorite for 40+ years is Munch-BSO on RCA late 50s. Probably available
on Japanese BMG.
More easily available in the IMG Munch set.

Paul Goldstein
s***@earthlink.net
2004-03-04 05:36:12 UTC
Post by Paul Goldstein
Post by notrump15-17
My favorite for 40+ years is Munch-BSO on RCA late 50s. Probably available
on Japanese BMG.
More easily available in the IMG Munch set.
Don't know it. Why do you like it, if that's not too much to ask?

regards,
SG
notrump15-17
SG
Van Eyes
2004-03-04 03:25:17 UTC
Post by Tony
My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy.
This work is well-recorded. Two of my favorites are 1962 BPO/Karajan (DG
Originals), and 1972 CSO/Solti (Penguin Classics).

Regards
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-03-04 06:04:01 UTC
My question is - what opinions has anyone got on the best recording of
this piece of music
Wrong question. There is no such thing as "best."
so I can buy him a decent copy,
That's a far better way to phrase it. I strongly like the following:

Weingartner/Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra

Toscanini/NBC Symphony Orchestra (live performance from 1939 preferred to the
1952 commercial recording)

Furtwängler/Philharmonia Orchestra (1954; others may prefer his live 1951
Bayreuth Festival Orchestra performance, and for me it is a close runner-up;
many prefer the 1942 Berlin Philharmonic one, but I think it is vile as a
performance, even before taking into account the nature of the audience)

Fricsay/Berlin Philharmonic

Bruno Walter/Columbia Symphony Orchestra

Ozawa/New Philharmonia Orchestra (expensive CD obtainable only from Japan)
War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!
s***@earthlink.net
2004-03-04 08:05:17 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
My question is - what opinions has anyone got on the best recording of
this piece of music
Wrong question. There is no such thing as "best."
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.

regards,
SG
Matthew B. Tepper
2004-03-04 15:40:16 UTC
Post by s***@earthlink.net
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
My question is - what opinions has anyone got on the best recording of
this piece of music
Wrong question. There is no such thing as "best."
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.
You betcha! I used up all my bile on a draft letter to Peggy Noonan.
Besides, I got around to answering too late.
War is Peace. ** Freedom is Slavery. ** It's all Napster's fault!
A. Brain
2004-03-05 08:24:48 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by s***@earthlink.net
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.
You betcha! I used up all my bile on a draft letter to Peggy Noonan.
Besides, I got around to answering too late.
And I thought I was the only one who noticed that
the "liberal media" played Bush's new "Morning in
America"-like ads over and over today, all the while
featuring GOP partisans to gush over how good the
ads are. Very little coverage of the outrage expressed
by the families of 9-11-01 victims (so far) at the outright
exploitation of that tragedy for political purposes.

I think the new ads are too slick by half.
--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-05 21:58:30 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by s***@earthlink.net
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.
You betcha! I used up all my bile on a draft letter to Peggy Noonan.
Besides, I got around to answering too late.
And I thought I was the only one who noticed that
the "liberal media" played Bush's new "Morning in
America"-like ads over and over today, all the while
featuring GOP partisans to gush over how good the
ads are. Very little coverage of the outrage expressed
by the families of 9-11-01 victims
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hand picked by Terry McAwful no doubt.

I've heard call-ins by just as many family members who ardently support, not
only the President, but also his use of those images in his ads.

Don
Paul Ilechko
2004-03-05 22:49:52 UTC
Post by Donald C. Patterson
Post by A. Brain
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by s***@earthlink.net
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.
You betcha! I used up all my bile on a draft letter to Peggy Noonan.
Besides, I got around to answering too late.
And I thought I was the only one who noticed that
the "liberal media" played Bush's new "Morning in
America"-like ads over and over today, all the while
featuring GOP partisans to gush over how good the
ads are. Very little coverage of the outrage expressed
by the families of 9-11-01 victims
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hand picked by Terry McAwful no doubt.
I've heard call-ins by just as many family members who ardently support, not
only the President, but also his use of those images in his ads.
Don
He has an absolute right to use those images - after all, it's thanks to
his incompetence that 9/11 happened in the first place.
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-06 01:04:33 UTC
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:49:52 -0500, Paul Ilechko
Post by Paul Ilechko
He has an absolute right to use those images - after all, it's thanks to
his incompetence that 9/11 happened in the first place.
But he is too dumb, Paul, to realize that he has put his foot in his
mouth on this one.

9/11 happened on HIS watch.

When, I wonder, will he assume responsibility, instead of crowing
about how wonderfully he has reacted to the tragedy.

Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?

TD
Owen Hartnett
2004-03-06 04:42:05 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.

-Owen
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-06 12:35:31 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
-Owen
Good reply. Just ask Juanita Broderick.

Tommy's post is disingenuous at best.

Timing is everything. If 9-11 had happened under Clinton, I would have felt
MUCH less safe under him than I do now. In fact, a 9-11 on a smaller scale
DID happen under Clinton in 1993. He pledged to hunt down the perpetrators
and prosecute them. What a JOKE!! He spent more money harrassing a local
software giant who is one of the greatest philanthropists alive today,
giving billions to charities, gives more money to charity than to the
government (what scandal!!!), than he did hunting Osama (the mastermind of
the first attack on the WTC). No, I would not have felt safer under
Clinton. I fact, if Clinton had done ANYTHING remotely effective (except
lobbing missiles at various aspirin factories to draw attention from his own
indiscretions), 9-11 would not have happened.

Clinton would have used the event for a photo op to get his ugly puss on TV
and then go about consolidating his own power as always.

Democrats should not be extolling Clinton. The Clintons are about one
thing, The Clintons. Where is Clinton these days? Is he at his Harlem
office? Hmmm...hasn't been seen there since it opened. Ah yes...just
another photo op. (First black President? I don't think so.) Furthermore,
the Clintons consolidation of there own power has fractured the party. When
you dig deep, you find that the Clintons were not good for the Dems. In
fact, Clinton is the very reason they lost control of the House, Senate, and
the White House. (Don't give the 2000 election again. Bush won Florida and
the electoral votes to win proper. If Algore had been anything at all, he
should have pasted Bush in that election...although the economy had taken a
downturn, people were still pretty confident from the tech-stock bubble of
the 90s...Algore should have won that election running away. Why didn't he?
He wasn't genuine. He kept changing with the wind. He even hired a woman
to teach him how to be an "alpha-male".)
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-06 15:37:58 UTC
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:35:31 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
Post by Donald C. Patterson
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
[...]
This post is just a conglomeration of anti-Clinton rant.

Go away and get a life.

TD
Farrell8882
2004-03-06 16:01:04 UTC
But *would* it have happened under Clinton?
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-06 17:42:57 UTC
Post by Farrell8882
Post by d***@yahoo.com
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:35:31 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
If 9-11 had happened under Clinton
But *would* it have happened under Clinton?
They hate us no matter what. Yes, it would have happened under Clinton.
They hate us because we are successful. They hate us because we are not
them. They hate us because we don't believe as they do. They hate
everything about us simply we are who we are.

Yes, I believe they would have attacked if Gore had won in 2000.

Don
Paul Ilechko
2004-03-06 18:36:43 UTC
Post by Donald C. Patterson
Post by Farrell8882
Post by d***@yahoo.com
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:35:31 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
If 9-11 had happened under Clinton
But *would* it have happened under Clinton?
They hate us no matter what. Yes, it would have happened under Clinton.
They hate us because we are successful. They hate us because we are not
them. They hate us because we don't believe as they do. They hate
everything about us simply we are who we are.
Yes, I believe they would have attacked if Gore had won in 2000.
The question is not whether they would have tried to attack. The
question is whether a less stupid, pig-headed, ideological government
might have paid attention to the warnings that it was about to happen.
d***@yahoo.com

TD
Donald C. Patterson
2004-03-06 19:26:28 UTC
Post by Paul Ilechko
Post by Donald C. Patterson
Post by Farrell8882
Post by d***@yahoo.com
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:35:31 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
If 9-11 had happened under Clinton
But *would* it have happened under Clinton?
They hate us no matter what. Yes, it would have happened under Clinton.
They hate us because we are successful. They hate us because we are not
them. They hate us because we don't believe as they do. They hate
everything about us simply we are who we are.
Yes, I believe they would have attacked if Gore had won in 2000.
The question is not whether they would have tried to attack. The
question is whether a less stupid, pig-headed, ideological government
might have paid attention to the warnings that it was about to happen.
Of course they were ideological. You just happened to agree with their
ideologies. In fact, they did ignore the warnings. Even after the WTC was
attacked in 1993, they continued to strip the intelligence community of any
effectiveness.

This is boring. All of this has been stated before and you simply choose to
ignore it.

Bye,
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-06 18:48:43 UTC
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 12:42:57 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
Post by Donald C. Patterson
Post by Farrell8882
Post by d***@yahoo.com
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 07:35:31 -0500, "Donald C. Patterson"
If 9-11 had happened under Clinton
But *would* it have happened under Clinton?
They hate us no matter what. Yes, it would have happened under Clinton.
They hate us because we are successful. They hate us because we are not
them. They hate us because we don't believe as they do. They hate
everything about us simply we are who we are.
This statement is testimony to the ignorance prevalent in the USA with
respect to the terrorists.

They don't hate you "no matter what", they hate you because of what
you do. In what you do is included the blind and continued support for
the State of Israel in its repeated efforts to crush the Palestinians
and to take ever more land for themselves.

Grow up and face the truth here, instead of hiding behind very
ignorant statements of collective hatred of Americans.

TD
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-06 15:36:35 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
Are you so frightened of sex?

TD
Owen Hartnett
2004-03-07 05:57:44 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
Are you so frightened of sex?
With Bill Clinton? Absolutely terrified.

-Owen
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-07 11:30:12 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
Are you so frightened of sex?
With Bill Clinton? Absolutely terrified.
And with Bush you'd feel comfortable?

TD
Owen Hartnett
2004-03-07 17:41:42 UTC
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
Are you so frightened of sex?
With Bill Clinton? Absolutely terrified.
And with Bush you'd feel comfortable?
No, I'd be equally terrified.

-Owen
d***@yahoo.com
2004-03-07 20:51:39 UTC
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Post by Owen Hartnett
Post by d***@yahoo.com
Question: How many Americans feel safer today than they did under Bill
Clinton?
If I was a woman, I wouldn't feel safe under Bill Clinton.
Are you so frightened of sex?
With Bill Clinton? Absolutely terrified.
And with Bush you'd feel comfortable?
No, I'd be equally terrified.
-Owen
Progress.

Step by step we shall ween you of that little dictator.

TD
Norman Schwartz
2004-03-07 02:29:05 UTC
Post by A. Brain
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
Post by s***@earthlink.net
Oy gevalt! Mr. Tepper is in the gentle phase of the month.
You betcha! I used up all my bile on a draft letter to Peggy Noonan.
Besides, I got around to answering too late.
And I thought I was the only one who noticed that
the "liberal media" played Bush's new "Morning in
America"-like ads over and over today, all the while
featuring GOP partisans to gush over how good the
ads are. Very little coverage of the outrage expressed
by the families of 9-11-01 victims (so far) at the outright
exploitation of that tragedy for political purposes.
Is there anything under the sun that someone or other isn't 'outraged'
about? It has been pointed out that the expressed 'outrage' was by some tens
of people out of tens of thousands victims' related families of 9/11.
David M. Cook
2004-03-04 06:55:58 UTC
Post by Tony
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
My current favorite is Blomstedt/Brilliant Classics, particularly for the
fantastic choral movement. This is in a complete set that will set you back
$15.

http://www.mymusic.com/product_classical.asp?curr=0&muzenbr=465330

Dave Cook
SanV

RX-01
2004-03-04 11:42:24 UTC
Post by Tony
Hi,
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral. He knows I am the
easiest way to get it because of internet access. I did a search on just
HMV's site and got loads of options at different prices. Obviousley
different orchestras and vocalists, conductors etc. My question is - what
opinions has anyone got on the best recording of this piece of music so I
can buy him a decent copy,
Many Thanks,
Tony White
---
Either Blomstedt/Dresden on Brilliant Classics or Barenboim on Teldec.
Also the new Rattle/VPO is one of the best I've heard. If I had to
choose one of the three, I'd go for the Barenboim.

RX-01
Paul Ilechko
Gardiner on Archiv is wonderful.
Robert Briggs
2004-03-04 19:04:42 UTC
Post by Tony
I've never posted here before but my question relates to my elderly
Father who wants a CD recording of Beethovens 9th Choral.
You've had a whole raft of specific answers which indicate that it is
largely a matter of taste.

An alternative approach is to consider whether a recording by a specific
orchestra would be likely to bring back good memories for him.

Did he live in Liverpool as a youth and attend the RLPO?

Or study in Manchester and attend the Halle?

Or court your mother at the CBSO?

Or enjoy the Berlin Philharmonic on business trips?
Ivailo Partchev
http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics2/beethovenninth.html
g***@gmail.com
2019-09-05 04:08:14 UTC