Fish fry
Add Reply
Tatonik
2020-10-30 21:26:27 UTC
I turned on the radio today and heard Schubert's Trout Quintet. It
sounded to me as if the musicians had fire ants crawling up their legs
as they were playing.

I later found out it was Daniil Trifonov on piano, Anne-Sofie Mutter on
violin, and some other names I didn't recognize.

Every time I hear something on piano that I really don't like and I
don't know who's playing, invariably it turns out to be Trifonov. I
guess this means I am not a fan.
dk

dk
Tatonik
2021-11-20 16:24:55 UTC
I turned on the radio today and heard Schubert's Trout Quintet.  It
sounded to me as if the musicians had fire ants crawling up their legs
as they were playing.
I later found out it was Daniil Trifonov on piano, Anne-Sofie Mutter on
violin, and some other names I didn't recognize.
Every time I hear something on piano that I really don't like and I
don't know who's playing, invariably it turns out to be Trifonov.  I
guess this means I am not a fan.
Just thought I'd say that today on a BBC radio program I heard Trifonov
play the Allegro from the fifth sonata of J.C. Bach, I believe it was,
and that I very much enjoyed the performance. Something about his style
and temperament seemed well-suited to the music.

Even if I haven't been catapulted over to fan status, it's nice to hear
something new and change one's mind a bit.

I wasn't as taken with his Contrapunctus 2 from J.S.'s Art of Fugue, but
we can't have everything.
HT
2021-11-20 16:59:47 UTC
Post by Tatonik
Post by Tatonik
[...]
It's not unusual that pianists I don't like (like Trifonov), excel in Bach or contemporary music. Could it be that these works are less demanding in some way or other?