Dmitri Tcherniakov
Ricardo Jimenez
2021-11-22 03:22:16 UTC
Tcherniakov has been a major player in putting out Blu-rays of
Russian operas during the current century. He can be the stage
director, set designer and costume designer so if you don't like the
productions he is involved with, he can take the most blame. I just
don't like his way of combining banal contemporary scenes with
traditional ones using little logic. Being I am a sucker for the
music and the lack of technically up to date alternatives, I've bought
his versions of Ruslan and Lyudmilla, Tsar's Bride, Invisible City of
Kitezh and Snow Maiden. I was saved from his Eugene Onegin by
capturing a glimpse on TV. The latest one is Rimsky-Korsakov's
Snégourotchka or Snow Maiden. It contains great music, rich harmony
and counterpoint and of course colorful, sumptuous orchestration. It
looks super on the 75" 4K TV I recently bought.

But as usual, Tcherniakov insists on doing stupid things. When
Misguir tries to rape Snégourotchka in the woods, both of whom are
traditionally dressed, the Wood Goblin, dressed in a t-shirt and
slacks, jumps in to protect the heroine. Most outrageous of all was
the cutting out of the Dance of the Tumblers. You read that right.
The most famous excerpt from the opera, lasting not much more than
three minutes, was cut. Maybe they ran out of money to hire tumblers
or maybe Tcherniakov just wanted to get in another nose thumbing at
his audience.
Herman
2021-11-22 16:59:23 UTC
I had read this.
HT
2021-11-22 18:05:55 UTC
Post by Herman
I had read this.
Seconded

Henk
Ricardo Jimenez
2021-11-22 18:17:49 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Herman
I had read this.
Seconded
Henk
Gracias chicos. What do you think of Tcherniakov's work?
HT
2021-11-22 18:44:21 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Herman
I had read this.
Seconded
Henk
Gracias chicos. What do you think of Tcherniakov's work?
<g> I read your post because I never heard of Tcherniakov before. After reading it, I understood why.

Henk