Van Cliburn box set question
Add Reply
s***@nycap.rr.com
2020-10-05 12:30:56 UTC
See the link, on sale from ArkivMusic. https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2278727

Look at works #1 and #3. Both are the Tchaikovsky #1 and both with Kondrashin from 1958. One is with the Moscow Philharmonia and the other with the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. What is #1? I've never heard of it.

MIFrost
Frank Berger
2020-10-05 13:24:59 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
See the link, on sale from ArkivMusic. https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2278727
Look at works #1 and #3. Both are the Tchaikovsky #1 and both with Kondrashin from 1958. One is with the Moscow Philharmonia and the other with the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. What is #1? I've never heard of it.
MIFrost
All I can say is I have the Moscow PO on Melodiya 10-01627
and Testament 1440. The one with the RCA SO is on RCA
55912, RCA 61392 (Living Stereo) and Time-Life 701. I've
always assumed they are different recordings.
Frank Berger
2020-10-05 13:28:34 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
See the link, on sale from ArkivMusic.
https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2278727
Look at works #1 and #3. Both are the Tchaikovsky #1 and
both with Kondrashin from 1958. One is with the Moscow
Philharmonia and the other with the RCA Victor Symphony
Orchestra. What is #1? I've never heard of it.
MIFrost
All I can say is I have the Moscow PO on Melodiya 10-01627
and Testament 1440.  The one with the RCA SO is on RCA
55912, RCA 61392 (Living Stereo) and Time-Life 701. I've
always assumed they are different recordings.
Actually, an odd thing is that I have two RCA discs numbered
61392. The above Cliburn playing Tchaik 1 and Rach 2 (with
Reiner). But there is an entirely different disk numbered
61392 with Koussevitsky conducting Debussy, Mussorgsky and
Ravel.
Gerard
2020-10-05 19:52:10 UTC
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
See the link, on sale from ArkivMusic. https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2278727
Look at works #1 and #3. Both are the Tchaikovsky #1 and both with Kondrashin from 1958. One is with the Moscow Philharmonia and the other with the RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra. What is #1? I've never heard of it.
MIFrost
I suppose #1 is a recording made during the Tchaikovsky competition in
1958 (or immediately after it).
Frank Berger
2020-10-05 20:10:34 UTC
Post by Gerard
Post by s***@nycap.rr.com
See the link, on sale from ArkivMusic.
https://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=2278727
Look at works #1 and #3. Both are the Tchaikovsky #1 and
both with Kondrashin from 1958. One is with the Moscow
Philharmonia and the other with the RCA Victor Symphony
Orchestra. What is #1? I've never heard of it.
MIFrost
I suppose #1 is a recording made during the Tchaikovsky
competition in 1958 (or immediately after it).
No need to suppose:

From Wikipedia:

"The Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No.1 was the first recording
of Van Cliburn in 1958 for RCA Victor. It won Cliburn a
Grammy and was the first classical recording to go platinum,
that is to sell more than a million copies.[1][2] The RCA
Victor Symphony Orchestra was conducted by Kiril Kondrashin
who at Cliburn's request had been allowed to leave Russia."

The Testament release of the Moscow PO performance says it
is the actual performance from the competition.

The famous one is the RCA, since the competition one was not
released for a long time.
M&S Frost

MIFrost
Frank Berger