New Borodin Quartet Decca Shosty String Quartet box
2018-08-11 14:14:16 UTC
Curious to learn about what recordings are included

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07G28PHV5/
wkasimer
2018-08-11 18:37:03 UTC
I assume they're new recordings.
Herman
2018-08-12 06:43:28 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Curious to learn about what recordings are included
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07G28PHV5/
It's a totally new quartet. The primarius, Ruben Aharonian, joined the Borodin in the late nineties.

This is from the 'legacy' page of the quartet's website:

"Throughout all these [member] changes, the Borodin Quartet has retained its distinct identity. “As each newcomer joins,” as the Quartet believes, “he hears the existing members playing in a very recognisable style, so he is automatically soaking up the tradition. It’s not formal teaching, as if your colleagues are correcting you. A quartet is in a permanent state of studying from each other. It’s as natural a process as could exist, learning while performing with your elder colleagues.”

Note the word "believes".

I have the same beef with the Juilliard String Quartet. I wish these bands would at some point just disband and / or take a new name. Or at least make it the New Borodin Quartet.

One can say a lot of bad things about the Amadeus Quartet, another brand name group, but at least they didn't do this.
Herman
2018-08-12 07:19:03 UTC
This doesn't mean this cannot be a good DSCH recording. I have no idea.
Sol L. Siegel
2018-08-30 01:31:41 UTC
This doesn't mean this cannot be a good DSCH recording. I have no idea.
I've heard them in concert. They're good, but they're not really what we
think of as the Borodin Quartet - their sound is a lot more German than
Russian. The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Herman
2018-08-30 07:02:02 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
I've heard them in concert. They're good, but they're not really what we
think of as the Borodin Quartet - their sound is a lot more German than
Russian. The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
This asks for a definition of Russian vs German violin playing.

Obviously all current Borodin Qt members are Russia educated. The viola player studied with Yuri Bashmet for many years (btw so did a lot of non-Russian viola players); the first violin is a student of Leonid Kogan. None of the four players studied in Germany.
Sol L. Siegel
2018-08-30 13:25:13 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
I've heard them in concert. They're good, but they're not really what
we think of as the Borodin Quartet - their sound is a lot more German
than Russian. The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
This asks for a definition of Russian vs German violin playing.
Obviously all current Borodin Qt members are Russia educated. The
viola player studied with Yuri Bashmet for many years (btw so did a
lot of non-Russian viola players); the first violin is a student of
Leonid Kogan. None of the four players studied in Germany.
You got me on this one. Still, their playing seems a good deal leaner
than before. And I have at least one friend who has been hearing
quartets longer than I who agrees.

This new set, like any other, will have to be approached on its
own terms.

- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Herman
2018-08-30 14:07:39 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
BTW Sol, there are plenty folks who prefer the 1 thru 15 Borodin recording with Kopelman on 1st to the one with Dubinsky reissued by Chandos.

And of course there are two serious USA cycles, by the Emerson and by the Pacifica.
graham
Not to mention the Fitzwilliam's, or mustn't that be mentioned?
John Hood
2018-08-31 01:39:33 UTC
Post by graham
Post by Herman
Post by Sol L. Siegel
The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
BTW Sol, there are plenty folks who prefer the 1 thru 15 Borodin
recording with Kopelman on 1st to the one with Dubinsky reissued by
Chandos.
And of course there are two serious USA cycles, by the Emerson and by the Pacifica.
Not to mention the Fitzwilliam's, or mustn't that be mentioned?
Just revisited the Fitzwilliams, very special. My favourite is probably
the Brodskys but I love the way the music comes across through various
ensembles ... For me, there is no winner in this race, it's just the
journey.

JH
Herman
let's not forget the late sixties and mid-seventies recordings by the Beethoven Quartet. Although this is not literally the same quartet that premiered the DSCH pieces, and even though DSCH seemed to prefer the Borodin Quartet's playing, these recordings may or may not give an idea of what DSCH heard in his mind when he was composing.
c***@gmail.com
2018-08-31 11:57:47 UTC
Post by John Hood
Post by graham
Post by Herman
Post by Sol L. Siegel
[...]
I agree that those earlier Soviet-era recordings give invaluable context, and they hold up well as performances too. Among more recent recordings, my go-to recently has been the Pacifica set. Speaking of context, their cycle includes quartets by Prokofiev, Miaskovsky, Vainberg, and Schnittke that offer fascinating complements (precedents, comparisons, contrasts) to the Shostakovich works. I do wish that the Jerusalem Quartet would complete their cycle because I've been impressed with the what they have done so far. Never understood the esteem for the Fitzwilliams; my problem, I suppose.

AC
graham
Well, DSCH is supposed to have liked them!
Herman
2018-08-31 19:32:28 UTC
Post by graham
Well, DSCH is supposed to have liked them!
The Fitzwilliam Qt was the first ensemble in the west to focus so extensively on his work, so naturally he was very happy with that.

The Fitzwilliam was basically a fledgling band when they started performing and recording DSCH. (Amazingly the original violist is still in the band these days.)
Sol L. Siegel
2018-08-31 21:54:17 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
BTW Sol, there are plenty folks who prefer the 1 thru 15 Borodin
recording with Kopelman on 1st to the one with Dubinsky reissued by
Chandos.
And of course there are two serious USA cycles, by the Emerson and by the Pacifica.
Pacifica is outstanding. And I've always liked the Fitzwilliam set.
- Sol L. Siegel, Philadelphia, PA USA
Joe Morris
2018-09-06 15:02:40 UTC
Post by Sol L. Siegel
Post by Herman
Post by Sol L. Siegel
The "old", complete-at-the-time cycle is unlikely to be
challenged.
--
BTW Sol, there are plenty folks who prefer the 1 thru 15 Borodin
recording with Kopelman on 1st to the one with Dubinsky reissued by
Chandos.
And of course there are two serious USA cycles, by the Emerson and by the Pacifica.
Pacifica is outstanding. And I've always liked the Fitzwilliam set.
I love the Fitzwilliam approach to Qt 3. Just perfect to my ears. Realized I have
the complete Manhattan Quartet set but haven't listened to it for a long time.
Any thoughts on their recording?
--
Joe Morris Atlanta history blog
***@gmail.com http://atlhistory.com