Takahashi's recording of Rzewski's " People United "
2016-09-22 01:08:42 UTC
Yuji Takahashi ( born 1938 ) plays Rzewski’s “ People United “ variations, I believe the 1979 ALM Records lp recording re-issued on cd in 1989 :

It has been several years since I listened to my Hamelin cd , have little memory, but Takahashi impresses with a wealth of detail , wonderful narrative quality and momentum , kept my attention.The next time you’re in the mood for this work , have a listen.
number_six
2016-09-23 01:56:59 UTC
http://youtu.be/0Gm7RgdzeWM
Listened to this last night, thanks for posting. I see Oppens has a new version on Cedille. I have the old recording on Vanguard.
Peter Lemken
2018-08-17 20:15:40 UTC
at 6:08:44 PM UTC-7, Bozo wrote: Yuji Takahashi ( born 1938 ) plays
Rzewski's " People United " variations, I believe the 1979 ALM Records lp
http://youtu.be/0Gm7RgdzeWM
It has been several years since I listened to my Hamelin cd , have little
memory, but Takahashi impresses with a wealth of detail , wonderful
narrative quality and momentum , kept my attention.The next time you're
in the mood for this work , have a listen.
Listened to this last night, thanks for posting. I see Oppens has a new
version on Cedille. I have the old recording on Vanguard.
Nothing comes close to Rzewski's own live recording from the 2007 Miami
piano festival.

And in terms of studio recordings, Igor Levit is a must - this piano is a
beauty and so is the recording location.

Peter Lemken
+43-1
Nature abhors crude hacks.
c***@williams.edu
2018-08-17 23:15:11 UTC
Post by Peter Lemken
[...]
Yes Levit's recording is a must--it's how I discovered this brilliant composition. I have both his recording and Oppens's second version. But Levit's recording, great as it is, doesn't compare with the experience of hearing him play this extraordinary piece live, as I did at Tanglewood two nights ago--the sheer physical demands of this piece, to say nothing of the technical ones, make it like an Olympian athletic feat. Yet after 50 minutes Levit still had plenty of energy in reserve for a longer than usual improvisation at the end, in which along with "avanti popoli" and Brecht/Eisler's "Solidaritätslied" he worked in a brief allusion to Woody Guthrie's "This Land is Your Land." Afterward he told me it simply came to him in the midst of the improvisation.