Michael Haydn, where to start?
Add Reply
TR
2021-01-06 16:50:53 UTC
Numerous Joseph Haydn CDs but no Michael Haydn recordings on my CD
shelves. I intend to change that, but where to start?
Any recommendations?

Chris
Johannes Roehl
2021-01-06 22:18:24 UTC
Try a few symphonies recorded by Farberman and maybe still findable on VoxBox or Regis/Alto. About 4 CDs' worth altogether I think. Michael is not close to Joseph in quality (except maybe church music, I have not heard it) but I found the symphonies more interesting than a chamber disc by Archibudelli (one of the few of theirs I eventually got rid of because I found the music just too boring).
ro...@verizon.net
There's a requiem in C minor from 1771 that clearly influenced Mozart's requiem. We do know that Mozart attended several performances of it in 1772. Also, his symphony no. 39 in C has a fugal finale that bears a resemblance to Mozart's Jupiter symphony.
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-07 00:50:06 UTC
Post by TR
Numerous Joseph Haydn CDs but no Michael Haydn recordings on my CD
shelves. I intend to change that, but where to start?
Any recommendations?
Chris
Mozart completists should note that Naxos have recorded his (supposed) Symphony no. 37, which is actually by Michael Haydn with an added slow introduction by Mozart. It needed it.

<https://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.550875>

Andrew Clarke
Canberra