Josef Hofmann recording discovered!
Add Reply
tomdeacon
2009-04-01 14:48:43 UTC
Hofmann lovers will be thrilled to learn that a recording of Hofmann
playing the Goldberg Variations has been discovered in the Glenn Gould
archives in Ottawa. Apparently Gould and the sometime inventor were
close telephone pals.

There is only one problem with this valuable document. There is only
one copy and Gould agreed to ensure that it was sealed for a century
after his death.

So, we shall not, alas, have the opportunity of hearing this
recording. But several generations from now a whole new group of
Hofmann worshippers will be born.

TD
Russ (not Martha)

Russ (not Martha)
gperkins151
2009-04-01 15:05:42 UTC
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Post by tomdeacon
Hofmann lovers will be thrilled to learn that a recording of Hofmann
playing the Goldberg Variations has been discovered in the Glenn Gould
archives in Ottawa. Apparently Gould and the sometime inventor were
close telephone pals.
There is only one problem with this valuable document. There is only
one copy and Gould agreed to ensure that it was sealed for a century
after his death.
So, we shall not, alas, have the opportunity of hearing this
recording. But several generations from now a whole new group of
Hofmann worshippers will be born.
TD
Date of the post noted.
Russ (not Martha)
Indeed.

George
Matthew B. Tepper
2009-04-01 15:41:49 UTC
gperkins151 <***@yahoo.com> appears to have caused the following
letters to be typed in news:da7e10d5-d840-4c4e-a7f5-
Post by gperkins151
Post by Russ (not Martha)
Date of the post noted.
Russ (not Martha)
Indeed.
George
And even if this were not an April Fool's Day post, and if such a recording
did exist, I'd like to note that a staffer at the NYPL supposedly said to a
patron who inquired about the Toscanini Bruckner 7th, "Your grandchildren
won't live long enough to hear it!" And look what happened. *smirk*
Opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of my employers
2009-04-01 16:49:51 UTC
Might make a good issue if coupled with the Ed Smith Wagner-conducted
recording sessions...
2009-04-01 19:11:25 UTC
In article
Post by K
Might make a good issue if coupled with the Ed Smith Wagner-conducted
recording sessions...
It was also sealed with the real JFK Assassination autopsy photos, and
the blanket from the Lindburgh baby.

-Owen
Sol L. Siegel
2009-04-02 03:52:29 UTC
Post by Matthew B. Tepper
And even if this were not an April Fool's Day post, and if such a recording
did exist, I'd like to note that a staffer at the NYPL supposedly said to a
patron who inquired about the Toscanini Bruckner 7th, "Your grandchildren
won't live long enough to hear it!" And look what happened. *smirk*
Well, will they live to hear the end of the coda of the first movement?
Or the Wagner-tuba chorale in the Adagio?
d:>(
--
- Sol L. Siegel
Philadelphia, PA USA
JohnGavin
2009-04-01 16:55:19 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Hofmann lovers will be thrilled to learn that a recording of Hofmann
playing the Goldberg Variations has been discovered in the Glenn Gould
archives in Ottawa.
Also discovered this morning is a 45 RPM of Rudolph Serkin
accompanying the young Elvis Presley in "Jailhouse Rock".
tomdeacon
2009-04-01 17:40:40 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Post by tomdeacon
Hofmann lovers will be thrilled to learn that a recording of Hofmann
playing the Goldberg Variations has been discovered in the Glenn Gould
archives in Ottawa.
Also discovered this morning is a 45 RPM of Rudolph Serkin
accompanying the young Elvis Presley in "Jailhouse Rock".
I didn't want to say so, but Elvis was one of Josef Hofmann's musical
heroes. He actually had an early poster of the great man in his study,
between the liquor cabinet and his toy Steinway. So, he could look up
at his idol as he tickled the ivories with a flask right to hand.

By the way, Serkin only agreed to that gig if Presley would do An die
ferne Geliebte. Presley bombed out of that gig, unfortunately. It was
a bone of contention between them till the blimp finally burst from
too many donuts.

TD

TD
EM
2009-04-01 17:51:40 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
Also discovered this morning is a 45 RPM of Rudolph Serkin
accompanying the young Elvis Presley in "Jailhouse Rock".
Yes, on a prototype of the Wurlitzer electric piano. It's a
disappointing performance, with neither artist at his best.

EM
gggg gggg
2021-10-09 01:11:32 UTC
Post by tomdeacon
Hofmann lovers will be thrilled to learn that a recording of Hofmann
playing the Goldberg Variations has been discovered in the Glenn Gould
archives in Ottawa. Apparently Gould and the sometime inventor were
close telephone pals.
There is only one problem with this valuable document. There is only
one copy and Gould agreed to ensure that it was sealed for a century
after his death.
So, we shall not, alas, have the opportunity of hearing this
recording. But several generations from now a whole new group of
Hofmann worshippers will be born.
TD
(Recent Y. upload):

Josef Hofmann (1876-1957): Frederic Chopin Only (R.1920-’27)