Haydn op 50/4 quartet - the F sharp minor
Add Reply
Mandryka
2021-03-22 22:06:15 UTC
Any special ones out there? Bootlegs, out of complete op 50 sets, that sort of thing.

This must rank as Haydn’s boldest quartet, or one of them. May be the boldest 18th century quartet there is. It seems totally sui generis.
dk
2021-03-27 06:39:56 UTC
Any special ones out there? Bootlegs, out of complete op 50 sets, that sort of thing.
This must rank as Haydn’s boldest quartet, or one of them.
May be the boldest 18th century quartet there is. It seems
totally sui generis.

What about Mozart KV 421 and KV 465?

2021-03-27 11:43:07 UTC
http://youtu.be/ZQT2z5eiLLk
465 is not one of the boldest of the six
dk
2021-03-27 20:12:15 UTC
Any special ones out there? Bootlegs, out of complete op 50 sets, that sort of thing.
This must rank as Haydn’s boldest quartet, or one of them.
May be the boldest 18th century quartet there is. It seems
totally sui generis.
http://youtu.be/ZQT2z5eiLLk
What about Mozart KV 421 and KV 465?
465 is not one of the boldest of the six
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)

dk
Mandryka
2021-03-27 21:59:21 UTC
None of them are as bold as the Haydn G sharp minor op 50. He leaves the Mozart/Haydn series in the shade.
Ricardo Jimenez
2021-03-27 22:35:42 UTC
On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 14:59:21 -0700 (PDT), Mandryka
Post by Mandryka
None of them are as bold as the Haydn G sharp minor op 50. He leaves the Mozart/Haydn series in the shade.
I thinkl you mean F sharp minor Op 50 No 4. There may be individual
movements but googling did find for me any string quartets whose main
key is g sharp minor.
Herman
387
Bob Harper
2021-03-28 16:04:14 UTC
Any special ones out there? Bootlegs, out of complete op 50 sets, that sort of thing.
This must rank as Haydn’s boldest quartet, or one of them.
May be the boldest 18th century quartet there is. It seems
totally sui generis.
http://youtu.be/ZQT2z5eiLLk
What about Mozart KV 421 and KV 465?
465 is not one of the boldest of the six
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)
dk
387
Agreed; my personal favorite of the six.

It's the one where Mozart comes out firing all cilinders
dk
2021-03-28 22:15:45 UTC
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)
387
It's the one where Mozart comes out firing all cylinders
How many cylinders did Mozart have?

look, you ask a question, I give you an answer. You come back with a stupid joke.
dk
2021-03-29 03:51:59 UTC
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)
387
It's the one where Mozart comes out firing all cylinders
How many cylinders did Mozart have?
look, you ask a question, I give you an answer.
You come back with a stupid joke.
This is no joke. It is a serious question.

2021-03-29 22:32:55 UTC
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)
387
It's the one where Mozart comes out firing all cylinders
How many cylinders did Mozart have?
look, you ask a question, I give you an answer.
You come back with a stupid joke.
This is no joke. It is a serious question.
dk
The answer of course is 12. The Ferrari Colombo was an hommage.

Bob Harper

Andrew Clarke
2021-03-29 14:06:00 UTC
Which one is the "boldest" in your opinion?
Please feel free to use the same adjectives
one uses to describe coffee! ;-)
387
It's the one where Mozart comes out firing all cylinders
How many cylinders did Mozart have?
If you're thinking of K. 617, quite a few!

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Johannes Roehl
2021-03-28 16:06:13 UTC
Any special ones out there? Bootlegs, out of complete op 50 sets, that sort of thing.
This must rank as Haydn’s boldest quartet, or one of them. May be the boldest 18th century quartet there is. It seems totally sui generis.
It's a very good piece but I don't think it is particularly bold, original or extravagant. I'd put op.20,2+3 (passionate Sturm and Drang), op.76, 5+6 (both with very free and unconventional first movements and great slow movements) and also op.54,2 (with a strange gypsy slow movement and a slow-fast-slow finale, another one of kind movement) and 55,2 (somewhat similar to 50/4 in its minor-major contrast throughout) ahead in this regard.
The most original thing about the f# minor is maybe the fugal finale which is not as "academic" as e.g. in op.20/5 but it's not a great favorite of mine. The variations (minor-major) are great but Haydn has many good similar movements. The first movement is in its somewhat obsessive monothematicism (the second subject is basically a major variant of the first) outdone buy the "fifth" op.76,2.
Cannot point out any special recordings. I used to like the Amati/divox (which I bought as two expensive discs many years ago but it was offered as a twofer later on) a lot for all of op.50. But i's been a long time I listened to them or did any comparing.
Mandryka
If you can, I’d be interested to know what you think of Quatuor Zaïde.
Théo Amon
2021-03-29 12:22:20 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Johannes Roehl
[...]
Overall I feel that op. 50 is the least recorded of Haydn's quartet sets from op. 20. onwards (except in complete sets, of course)... Why so? I think it's an outstanding "six-pack", full of original solutions for the medium.