OT-More bad behavior
Bozo
2018-07-27 20:45:09 UTC
WAPO story : http://tinyurl.com/y8lrno39

It is reported Cleveland Orchestra has suspended concertmaster Preucil ?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/27/arts/music/cleveland-orchestra-william-preucil.html
Oscar
2018-07-27 21:40:03 UTC
Also today, CBS President, CEO and Chairman of the Board, Leslie Moonves, has been exposed as a Dominique Strauss-Kahn-style rapist. And to think that the Tiffany network once broadcasted Bernstein’s Young People’s Concerts. I will never watch CBS or home video DVDs of the Young People’s Concerts again.
drh8h
2018-07-28 02:05:34 UTC
What does this have to do with the Young Peoples' Concerts of over 50 years ago?
Oscar
2018-07-28 03:24:13 UTC
Have you read any of the salacious anecdotes about Lenny in his daughter Jamie’s new tell-all?
drh8h
2018-07-28 03:28:49 UTC
If we keep this up, nothing from the past will be read, watched or listened to because of our current sensibilities. At some point, it all becomes history.
Oscar
2018-07-28 04:22:10 UTC
Full disclosure: Both my posts in this thread are mockingly, devastatingly, outrageously facetious. Not to you but to La Résistance. #moiaussi
c***@gmail.com
2018-07-28 04:49:54 UTC
You flatter yourself.
Oscar
2018-07-28 04:56:08 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
You flatter yourself.
You should see my CD collection.
drh8h
2018-07-28 13:10:55 UTC
I am actually relieved to hear that. I don't condone criminality or forcing oneself upon another person, but we cannot let moral outrage over what must have been fairly common and I daresay accepted in the past be used as a reason to boycott some of humanity's greatest achievements.
Bozo
2018-07-29 00:11:10 UTC
From another site , bucks for good behavior :

https://adaptistration.com/2016/06/22/2016-orchestra-compensation-reports-music-directors/
h***@gmail.com
2018-10-25 11:03:25 UTC
Preucil and La Rosa have been dismissed from the orchestra. A long time coming, particularly for Preucil.

https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/News-and-Updates/News-Releases/2018-releases/2018-10-24-investigation-findings

Norman Lebrecht dribbled that "Preucil’s sacking creates huge issues for the orchestra. Reputedly the highest paid concertmaster in the US, he is a violinist of the highest calibre and a massive figure of authority in the orchestra. He will not easily be replaced." This is sheer nonsense, and proves that either Lebrecht hasn't heard Preucil recently, or that he has no ears, or both. Preucil's playing have been increasingly shoddy over the last few years. In particular, I recall a solo violin part in an adaptation of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 132 that was so poorly delivered members of the audience looked at each other in shock. As for a replacement, First Associate Concertmaster Peter Otto is a logical choice. He's an exemplary violinist and well liked by both the orchestra, members of the public, and - if I'm not mistaken - Franz Welser-Most.

Perhaps now that Preucil's gone, the string of nepotistic hires that took place, including a member of his own family, can now be reassessed.

Hank
Herman
2018-10-25 12:37:45 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
Part of this is always the idea that these folks are irreplaceable, which often leads to people staying put much too long and putting younger musicians' careers on hold.

A couple of days ago a Dutch daily had an op-ed by Melvyn Kraus about the Concertgebouw's firing of Gatti, as something that should not have happened, and that the orchestra had now opened its doors to "opportunist" conductors replacing Gatti in this year without a chief conductor.

That would retro-activily make Bernard Haitink an opportunist for accepting the post in Amsterdam after Van Beinum's sudden death.

Kraus, who for all I know is living in NYC, talks about the money he's given to the RCO and how the BRSO has given Gatti a guest spot, and what a great concert that was - implicitely threatening to take his money elsewhere.

The Concertgebouw should return Kraus's money.