Turntables for every budget (recent article)
gggg gggg
2021-06-04 21:41:11 UTC
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
Dan Koren
2021-06-06 19:37:18 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-vinyl-records-so-popular-today

dk
Dan Koren
2021-06-06 19:51:09 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-vinyl-records-so-popular-today
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fdarko.audio%2F2016%2F10%2Fon-vinyls-inconvenience-and-expense%2F&psig=AOvVaw0IYpvxshukqk-Adr_rFIhj&ust=1623095420326000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCOjX9ODjg_ECFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

dk
Dan Koren
2021-06-06 20:01:25 UTC

dk
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-07 17:41:50 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-vinyl-records-so-popular-today
dk
At least one guy on that quora site got it right:

"A combination of nostalgia and affectation."

Yup, geezer nostalgia - nothing beats it! I go to audio shows, and I see all these geezer audiophiles running around (many with hearing aids!) listening to geezer rock on the various multi-$$$ vinyl set-ups. Sad, really - not that I'm judging! ;-)
Frank Berger
You are judging and it's offensive.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-07 19:26:38 UTC
You are judging and it's offensive.
Frank - I wouldn't DREAM of judging! I'm so sorry you're offended. But in any case, YOU'RE an exception! ;-)
Frank Berger
2021-06-07 21:57:57 UTC
Everything I've read about the vinyl revival seems to say it's not geezers primarily responsible. it's millennials. Maybe you only notice the geezers at the shows. Maybe you have a bias against them. Also maybe it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Maybe many geezers still have the vinyl they collected (mostly before they were geezers) and just want to be able to play it and they are simply replacing their aging turntables from the plethora of affordable turntables that exist now.
Bob Harper
2021-06-07 22:10:09 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
Post by Chris from Lafayette
You are judging and it's  offensive.
Frank - I wouldn't DREAM of judging! I'm so sorry you're offended. But
in any case, YOU'RE an exception! ;-)
Everything I've read about the vinyl revival seems to say it's not
geezers primarily responsible. it's millennials. Maybe you only notice
the geezers at the shows.  Maybe you have a bias against them. Also
maybe it has nothing to do with nostalgia.  Maybe many geezers still
have the vinyl they collected (mostly before they were geezers) and just
want to be able to play it and they are simply replacing their aging
turntables from the plethora of affordable turntables that exist now.
I'd say Portland was one of the, if not the, center(s) of the interest
in vinyl. It's my observation that Frank's right; it's Millennials, not
those of us who long ago transitioned to CD, especially classical
listeners, who are most interested in it. Might be different for rock; I
don't know, as I don't listen to the stuff.

Bob Harper
Dan Koren
2021-06-07 23:25:27 UTC
https://www.portlandmercury.com/portland-handbook-2019/2019/09/12/27128621/music-to-your-ears-a-guide-to-portlands-best-record-stores

dk
sci.space
2021-06-08 12:12:08 UTC
For many of us, the lure of vinyl is to hear recordings that have not been released in digital formats by their copyright owners. Some are on labels that seem to have gone into oblivion (i.e. Titanic and CRI) and some are on major labels (i.e. Columbia - E. Power Biggs, especially his Daquin and Hindemith LPS) that will not spend the money to release a digital version. A decent turntable (I have a vintage Technics 1600, Mk2 with a Nagaoka cartridge) can sound rather good.

Yes I am an old dodderer. I play music nearly as much each day as I listen critically.
Chris from Lafayette
A lot of "maybes" in that post, Frank. My observation is that the vinyl fetish often goes hand in hand with the conceit that nothing worthwhile has happened in music since the early 80's. ;-)
Frank Berger
2021-06-08 18:09:12 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
You are judging and it's offensive.
Frank - I wouldn't DREAM of judging! I'm so sorry you're offended. But in any case, YOU'RE an exception! ;-)
Everything I've read about the vinyl revival seems to say it's not geezers primarily responsible. it's millennials. Maybe you only notice the geezers at the shows. Maybe you have a bias against them. Also maybe it has nothing to do with nostalgia. Maybe many geezers still have the vinyl they collected (mostly before they were geezers) and just want to be able to play it and they are simply replacing their aging turntables from the plethora of affordable turntables that exist now.
A lot of "maybes" in that post, Frank. My observation is that the vinyl fetish often goes hand in hand with the conceit that nothing worthwhile has happened in music since the early 80's. ;-)
Those "maybes" are called ideas. You know, thought.

I'm losing interest in your observations, which seem to be baseless and are certainly unsubstantiated.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-08 20:41:58 UTC
I'm losing interest in your observations, which seem to be baseless and are certainly unsubstantiated.
That's great, Frank, because I'm losing interest in your observations too (such as they are - they're really more assertions than observations). Do you think think every other person's experiences line up with your own? News flash: they don't, and my observations are substantiated by my own experiences - which I'll take over your experiences any day of the week. ;-)
Frank Berger
2021-06-08 21:05:43 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
I'm losing interest in your observations, which seem to be baseless and are certainly unsubstantiated.
That's great, Frank, because I'm losing interest in your observations too (such as they are - they're really more assertions than observations).
If you paid attention you would see that I questioned what you said based on what I've read. Not on my own experience. I've never been to an audio show (even though I am a geezer). I suggested possible alternatives to your perception. For that, you became hostile.

Do you think think every other person's experiences line up with your own? News flash: they don't, and my observations are substantiated by my own experiences - which I'll take over your experiences any day of the week. ;-)
You don't know what "substantiated" means. It means evidence that is precisely NOT your own.

Are you about 16 years old? That is my perception.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-09 18:40:18 UTC
Post by Frank Berger
[...]
I said substantiated and I meant substantiated - as in there are geezers at audio shows, and a few of these geezers wear hearing aids. You haven't been to an audio show, so I guess you wouldn't know, would you?

I'm beginning to think that you're somehow getting emotional because, maybe, one of my earlier posts hurt your feelings - please tell me I'm wrong! I didn't mean to hurt your feelings! ;-)
Frank Berger
You've been wrong about everything so far. My feelings can not be hurt by an immature pipsqueak. If you take the trouble to look, you will see articles that claim that the vinyl revival is not driven by geezer nostalgia. I actually have no opinion of my own, other than weighing your single opinion based on what you think you saw at audio shows and professional writers who have differnt opinion. That's all I have to go on. Do you really think it would reasonable for me to dismiss the professionals and adopt your opinion? How could that make sense. It's possible you are right and they are wrong, but that would be a big surprise to me.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-09 18:59:56 UTC
Ooh! Name-calling. I'm disappointed - I expected better from you, Frank! I think that, maybe, you even hurt my feelings! ;-)
Frank Berger
You can drop the smiley's. They are offensive.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-09 20:17:06 UTC
You can drop the smiley's. They are offensive.
Oops! I'll try not to offend next time! ;-)
Marc S
2021-06-08 21:23:28 UTC
Out of curiosity what would you consider to be worthwhile music from the 80s?
Dan Koren
2021-06-09 02:24:56 UTC
Post by Marc S
Post by Chris from Lafayette
A lot of "maybes" in that post, Frank. My observation
is that the vinyl fetish often goes hand in hand with
the conceit that nothing worthwhile has happened
in music since the early 80's. ;-)
Out of curiosity what would you consider
to be worthwhile music from the 80s?
Brahms Symphonies 3 and 4
Dvorak Symphonies 7 through 9
Bruckner Symphonies 7 through 9
Dvorak String Quartets nos. 12 through 15

.... and a few more.

dk
Martin Schöön
2021-06-09 10:56:15 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Marc S
Out of curiosity what would you consider
to be worthwhile music from the 80s?
Brahms Symphonies 3 and 4
Dvorak Symphonies 7 through 9
Bruckner Symphonies 7 through 9
Dvorak String Quartets nos. 12 through 15
.... and a few more.
dk
Hmm, that looks like the 1880s to me, at least not the 1980's.

:-)

Anyways, I have a few vinyls from the 1970s and 1980s that have never
been available in digital formats -- as far as I know. So, I have
digitised some of them myself to preserve them.

/Martin
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-09 18:55:11 UTC
Post by Chris from Lafayette
A lot of "maybes" in that post, Frank. My observation is that the vinyl fetish often goes hand in hand with the conceit that nothing worthwhile has happened in music since the early 80's. ;-)
Out of curiosity what would you consider to be worthwhile music from the 80s?
Maybe we could start with the Ligeti Piano Etudes (Book I anyway)?

But actually, I was referring to the tendency of some posters on this forum for their "top performance" recommendations to be selected only from a core group of (pre-1980) "ancient favorites" - not that I want to disrespect the ancients myself! ;-)
Frank Berger
You overlook that Geezers don't hear well. Therefore, they don't particularly value modern good-sounding recordings (ignoring the fact that there are plenty of good-sounding old recordings). Therefore, in choosing a favorite recording of a particular work, we have (geezers) have to choose from the many, many recordings made before the 1980s and the relatively few made since. So the odds are the favorite will be older just based on the math. Also you overlook the belief among many geezers that the level of musicianship (call it artistry) has actually declined over the period. Sure, everybody plays great technically now (no more Schnabels), but geezers can't hea the flubs anyway so we don't care. Also since we are all senile, by the time the recording is over we will have forgotten the flubs even occurred.
Chris from Lafayette
2021-06-09 20:15:50 UTC
Although I'm aware that geezers tend not to hear well, most or the rest of your post is right on, man! But you should have included a smiley face at the end! ;-)
Frank Berger
2021-06-09 20:58:17 UTC
When I'm feeling hostility, I don't try to mask it with a smiley.
mswd...@gmail.com
Well, there's a market for high-priced gear, and I don't think that's millennials. Is that not what we are talking about at audio shows?
Frank Berger
There's another possible source of misunderstanding. If only expensive stuff is at these shows then the only people there will be people with money which will bias the crowd towards geezerness. But most of the turntable sales volume might be concentrated in the moderately priced segment. I have no idea, but I know that Chris doesn't either.
Dan Koren
2021-06-07 22:48:21 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-vinyl-records-so-popular-today
"A combination of nostalgia and affectation."
No different from driving vintage automobiles.

dk
Frank Berger
2021-06-07 23:22:02 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgxw9d/best-record-players
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-vinyl-records-so-popular-today
"A combination of nostalgia and affectation."
No different from driving vintage automobiles.
dk
Or collecting bottle caps.