"...Attract[ing] far more respect than genuine affection"
2018-08-05 04:33:02 UTC
Besides Beethoven's op.133, are there any other classical works/masterpieces that fall into that category?:

http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics3/grossefuge.html
Herman
2018-08-05 08:37:37 UTC
"Affection" is the wrong word. The Fuge,performed as the conclusion of the entire 130 quartet is a beautiful piece of music. Occasionally terrifying, but nonetheless beautiful, haunting and unforgettable if performed live.

Note that Gutmann's "affection" quote comes from a critic who died a 120 years ago. It's perfectly alright to say that the GF did not get a lot of affection of conservative Victorian critics, but essentially that's completely irrelevant to how we feel about this piece today.
dk
2018-08-10 02:03:35 UTC
"Affection" is the wrong word. The Fuge,performed as the
conclusion of the entire 130 quartet is a beautiful piece
of music. Occasionally terrifying, but nonetheless beautiful,
haunting and unforgettable if performed live.
Note that Gutmann's "affection" quote comes from a critic
who died a 120 years ago. It's perfectly alright to say
that the GF did not get a lot of affection of conservative
Victorian critics, but essentially that's completely
irrelevant to how we feel about this piece today.
Not to mention it is after all the Grossest Fugue! ;-)

dk
r***@gmail.com
2018-08-21 07:51:54 UTC
I wonder why Barenboim, who has played the sonatas and concertos times without number never seems to have had interest in the Batagelles ?

Rosemary Forbes-Butler
Herman
2018-08-21 09:47:21 UTC
yeah, those Batagelles...
Alan Dawes
2018-08-21 10:37:01 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I wonder why Barenboim, who has played the sonatas and concertos times
without number never seems to have had interest in the Batagelles ?
Rosemary Forbes-Butler
yeah, those Batagelles...
Sadly for Beethoven the "better girls" didn't show much interest in him :-)

Alan
--
***@argonet.co.uk
***@riscos.org
Using an ARMX6
Herman
2018-08-21 11:21:54 UTC
well, it's rather poignant though, to see him lean into the mike and say, "I want to dedicate this to the bata gelles..." before launching into the keys.
2018-08-21 13:31:06 UTC
well, it's rather poignant though, to see him lean into the mike and say, "I
want to dedicate this to the bata gelles..." before launching into the keys.
"To all the bata gells I've loved before..."

-Owen, apologizing to Rosemary for picking on her spelling, but it was
too hard to pass up.
Frank Berger
2018-08-21 14:53:32 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I wonder why Barenboim, who has played the sonatas and concertos times without number never seems to have had interest in the Batagelles ?
Rosemary Forbes-Butler
One of my pet peeves. I searched in Amazon for Barenboim and Bagatelles
(I never believe anything I read, sorry) and got a hit. Turns out it
was Barenboim's Beethoven sonata set. Why the hit on Bagatelles? It
was on the bottom of the page in the section for "Customers who viewed
Beethoven Complete Piano Sonatas / Barenboim also viewed......
Herman
2018-08-21 17:41:15 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I wonder why Barenboim, who has played the sonatas and concertos times without number never seems to have had interest in the Batagelles ?
Rosemary Forbes-Butler
One of my pet peeves. I searched in Amazon for Barenboim and Bagatelles
(I never believe anything I read, sorry)
But this is about the Bata Gels.