Rosbaud - Beethoven and Mahler
Add Reply
msw design
2020-09-30 16:58:43 UTC
Been watching the Rosbaud Beethoven box on Amazon for a long time waiting for a deal. I now see that the Mahler box has been out since July. Any comments on the transfers for these two? Not a lot of reviews out there. Thanks.
c***@gmail.com
2020-10-01 17:41:01 UTC
Post by msw design
Been watching the Rosbaud Beethoven box on Amazon for a long time waiting for a deal. I now see that the Mahler box has been out since July. Any comments on the transfers for these two? Not a lot of reviews out there. Thanks.
About the Beethoven box I wrote in June, "I've been enjoying the 7/9 Rosbaud cycle on SWR very much. (I enjoy Rosbaud in practically anything!) Missing ##4 (a shame) and 9 (no loss imo) but splendid in the others. Some remarkable supplements include a CD of overtures, the superb Neveu/Rosbaud VC, an excellent Anda/Rosbaud "Emperor," and a lively Triple Concerto with the Trio de Trieste that is the only item in the set with poor sound. There are two recordings of #8: one from 1956 that is superb, and another from 1961 that is not nearly as good." I've listened to most of the items in the set at least once or twice more, and nothing has altered that initial impression.

I have transfers of all of the items in the Mahler box from one source or another, but your reminding me of it encouraged me to order a copy anyway (just under $40 w/shipping, a fair price). Once it arrives I'll be able to compare the sound of these issues with the previous ones. These performances are essential for any Mahler collection, imo.

AC
msw design
2020-10-02 13:44:55 UTC
I couldn't resist the Mahler and bought it immediately after posting this. SWR deserves my $$ for such a dedicated, well-executed project. They even sent me a replacement disc when I had the track error in the Brahms box.
Frank Berger
2020-10-02 14:05:09 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by c***@gmail.com
These performances are essential for any Mahler collection, imo.
I couldn't resist the Mahler and bought it immediately after posting this. SWR deserves my $$ for such a dedicated, well-executed project. They even sent me a replacement disc when I had the track error in the Brahms box.
I'm always surprised when someone sounds as if they think
that a retailer or manufacturer replacing defective product
is going above and beyond their responsibility.
msw design
2020-10-02 16:56:22 UTC
Disc was shipped from Europe and there were intermediaries in the communication, so there were plenty of possibilities for error. Delivery was not fast. I've never dealt with manufacturer error before (well, there was the Tahra CD with no disc, and I ended up chatting with Myriam Scherchen, but I always figured Tahra was special), so maybe my expectations were unnecessarily low.
Frank Berger
2020-10-02 17:50:36 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by Frank Berger
I'm always surprised when someone sounds as if they think
that a retailer or manufacturer replacing defective product
is going above and beyond their responsibility.
Disc was shipped from Europe and there were intermediaries in the communication, so there were plenty of possibilities for error. Delivery was not fast. I've never dealt with manufacturer error before (well, there was the Tahra CD with no disc, and I ended up chatting with Myriam Scherchen, but I always figured Tahra was special), so maybe my expectations were unnecessarily low.
I recently ordered some piece of Facebook crap that shipped
from China and never arrived. The seller said it was the
shipper's fault and refused to refund my money. I never
encountered anything like that before. I once had a German
seller of a CD demand that I pay his bank's (unexpected)
charge for handling the payment (after I had paid my bank's
charge). I refused and he kept my money and didn't send the
CD. These are the only two cases of bad faith sellers I can
recall. It happens.
Craig Wallace
Then steer clear of medimops, of whom I have published an honest and negative review on trustpilot. Since covid here in NZ a lot of orders of books and cds from US and UK have never arrived. God knows why! Most places have refunded but it's awkward!
msw design
2020-10-06 03:59:48 UTC
Back to the Rosbaud Mahler box. Got it yesterday. I was bit surprised to see how much fake stereo ambiance has been added to all of these- made me wonder if that had been done for the whole series and I missed it? In this case I think it's a bit too much and the recording is losing texture and focus.

Thankfully no- prior releases have been more conservative. The Bruckner is pretty tight mono-ish audio. Maybe some ambiance, but still mostly mono.

In looking at my holdings, I can say I've got better versions of all the Mahler symphonies from either prior releases or just posts here (4: Archipel, 5: ICA's transfer is fantastic, far better, 6: Arkadia converted to true mono, 7: Phoenix, 1 and 9 get them here). Take 9- by running some noise reduction on madamasu's post here, I have a clearly superior version.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/symphonyshare/This$20is$20from$20a$20re-broadcast$20from$20February$201984%7Csort:date/symphonyshare/o0oQ90JoDzc/dqnkt20F4DYJ

More fun- his post of Mahler 1 with the tape problem? There's clearly some of that in the SWR version as well- maybe 50% repaired, but it is there. And madamasu's version is clearer and more focused.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!searchin/Symphonyshare/This$20recording$20is$20from$20a$20re-broadcast$201998$20and$20has$20a$20tape-howler$20at$207$3A41-42$20in$20the$20third$20movement.$20Maybe$20someone$20can$20mend$20this.$20$20I$20heard$20there$20is$20software$20nowadays$20that$20can$20do$20these$20things.%7Csort:date/symphonyshare/VjylTRsy2KE/KmaH-qSA2YMJ

So I guess that this is a box that can be skipped. Now, to sell, or hold?