Pawel Kamasa plays late Brahms piano music
Add Reply
Mandryka
2022-01-01 05:02:18 UTC
I found this last week on Spotify and I can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is really exceptional.
Dan Koren
2022-01-01 07:01:00 UTC
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Ugly acid metallic sound. I sampled a
few pieces and did not like hiw way
with the music (leaving sound aside).

dk
Dan Koren
2022-01-01 07:02:47 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Ugly acid metallic sound. I sampled a
few pieces and did not like hiw way
with the music (leaving sound aside).
This is better:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nqiwHeyTzueBo8OVyU3DbrBYeyO9iks_0

dk
AB
good playing, bad sounding piano
Mandryka
The piano sounds better on Rogers LS3/5A with a Radford valve amp than it does on Quad ESL 63s and a Krell KSA50. Always good to have a few different systems!
Dan Koren
2022-01-02 11:36:32 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Ugly acid metallic sound. I sampled a
few pieces and did not like hiw way
with the music (leaving sound aside).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nqiwHeyTzueBo8OVyU3DbrBYeyO9iks_0
good playing, bad sounding piano
The piano sounds better on Rogers LS3/5A with a
Radford valve amp than it does on Quad ESL 63s
and a Krell KSA50. Always good to have a few
different systems!
If one needs to try different sound reproduction
chains in order to hear acceptable sound, this
is clearly not a recording worth pursuing. The
Rogers LS3/5A, the Radford valve amps and
the Quad ESL 63 must be 50 years old, if not
more, and the Krell KSA50 is probably 30
years old. One can do much better today.

dk
Mandryka
Oh the playing seems to me to be deeply felt, he’s not just going through the motions or delivering a cool rendition, it’s “authentic” I think that’s why I’ve found it quite an addictive recording.
Dan Koren
2022-01-02 11:32:27 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Ugly acid metallic sound. I sampled a
few pieces and did not like hiw way
with the music (leaving sound aside).
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nqiwHeyTzueBo8OVyU3DbrBYeyO9iks_0
good playing, bad sounding piano
Oh the playing seems to me to be deeply felt,
"Deeply felt" is meaningless to other people
who do not read your mind and emotions, and
who do not know what emotions you experience
when you listen to this recording. Since the entire
recording is on line on YouTube, can you illustrate
what you mean through appropriately selected
snippets?
Post by Mandryka
"he’s not just going through the motions or
delivering " a cool rendition, it’s “authentic”
Another completely meaningless sentence.
Post by Mandryka
I think that’s why I’ve found it quite an addictive
recording.
We still don't know what you mean, or what
makes this performance "addictive" for you.
Perhaps you could provide some examples
that illustrate why this performance sounds
to you more "addictive" than another one.
How about a side by side comparison
with Richter, Grimaud, Lupu and Anna
Gourari?

To my ears it sounds mediocre, boring and
ruminative.

dk
Dan Koren
2022-01-02 18:25:03 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I think that’s why I’ve found it quite an addictive
recording.
We still don't know what you mean, or what
makes this performance "addictive" for you.
Perhaps you could provide some examples
that illustrate why this performance sounds
to you more "addictive" than another one.
How about a side by side comparison
with Richter, Grimaud, Lupu and Anna
Gourari?
To my ears it sounds mediocre, boring and
ruminative.
Interesting to see you mention Lupu. He's just
a completely closed book for me. I listened to
some things recently, Brahms and Schubert
and Beethoven and Mozart, and I thought, to
steal your expression "mediocre, boring and
ruminative."
Did you ever hear him live?

dk
AB
2022-01-02 18:34:26 UTC
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
Post by AB
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I think that’s why I’ve found it quite an addictive
recording.
We still don't know what you mean, or what
makes this performance "addictive" for you.
Perhaps you could provide some examples
that illustrate why this performance sounds
to you more "addictive" than another one.
How about a side by side comparison
with Richter, Grimaud, Lupu and Anna
Gourari?
To my ears it sounds mediocre, boring and
ruminative.
Interesting to see you mention Lupu. He's just
a completely closed book for me. I listened to
some things recently, Brahms and Schubert
and Beethoven and Mozart, and I thought, to
steal your expression "mediocre, boring and
ruminative."
Did you ever hear him live?
dk
heard him live in the 80s. musical enuf but not too exciting. Brahms sonata lacked power. Perihia (sp? ) was there. must be friends.....

AB
Mandryka
I can't remember, maybe a Mozart concerto in the 1980s or 1990s -- but I'm not sure.
Dan Koren
2022-01-02 12:45:12 UTC
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Can you stop yourself from reading the
Gramophone? "A pianist of outstanding
poetry". ROTFL !!!

dk
Mandryka
I don't subscribe -- there's a paywall between me and the review, and I won't pay.
Dan Koren
2022-01-02 18:23:53 UTC
Post by Mandryka
Post by Dan Koren
Post by Mandryka
I found this last week on Spotify and I
can’t stop myself playing it. I think it is
really exceptional.
Can you stop yourself from reading the
Gramophone? "A pianist of outstanding
poetry". ROTFL !!!
I don't subscribe -- there's a paywall between
me and the review, and I won't pay.
It doesn't matter, you are reading
the Gramophone's mind ;-)