Quiz: ID music from the score
Add Reply
Mr. Mike
2019-09-25 18:07:01 UTC
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/recognise-classical-pieces/
JohnGavin
2019-09-25 18:33:31 UTC
Beethoven 5
Clair de Lune
Mr. Mike
2019-09-25 21:30:55 UTC
On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 11:33:31 -0700 (PDT), JohnGavin
Post by JohnGavin
Beethoven 5
Clair de Lune
The actual quiz starts under the Facebook/Twitter/etc. logos...
HT
2019-09-25 22:25:50 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/recognise-classical-pieces/
A miserable 10/14...

2019-09-26 00:01:23 UTC
A more miserable 9/14
vhorowitz
2019-09-26 03:49:02 UTC
14/14 for me
2019-09-26 17:58:12 UTC
Post by vhorowitz
14/14 for me
12/14
number_six
2019-09-29 16:19:59 UTC
Post by JohnGavin
A more miserable 9/14
For me a wretched 7/14
Twice as good as chance, only half as good as perfect

Even missed fur Elise, schade
msw design
2019-09-26 19:55:26 UTC
Post by HT
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/recognise-classical-pieces/
A miserable 10/14...
Henk
10/14 is a triumph for me. I haven't attempted to read music in 40 years. I'm most frustrated that I didn't recognize the bit from Mahler 2. I still don't know what that was.
Steven Bornfeld
2019-09-26 21:02:39 UTC
Post by msw design
Post by HT
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/recognise-classical-pieces/
A miserable 10/14...
Henk
10/14 is a triumph for me. I haven't attempted to read music in 40 years. I'm most frustrated that I didn't recognize the bit from Mahler 2. I still don't know what that was.
I matched you and Henk. I should play the lottery today.

Steve
Andy Evans
2019-09-26 21:29:25 UTC
14/14 but three were lucky guesses (with a bit of deduction thrown in)
y***@gmail.com
2019-09-26 04:57:06 UTC
I scored 13/14, missing Allegri’s Miserere (never heard it - am rectifying that situation now...)
Tatonik
2019-09-26 23:35:14 UTC
Post by Mr. Mike
https://www.classicfm.com/lifestyle/quizzes/recognise-classical-pieces/
12/14. After my first incorrect answer, I got nervous and decided to
cheat by sitting down at a piano and picking out the tunes. The piano
is my savior. I missed Mahler and Allegri. Some of the ones I got
right were educated guesses. My ego emerges intact but slightly
bruised.

I'm amazed by people who can look at scores and immediately hear them in
their heads.
Tatonik
2019-09-28 03:22:08 UTC
Speaking of scores, I was just watching the first episode of the Ken
Burns documentary "Country Music," and there was this bit about the
singer Jimmie Rodgers (1897-1933):

"To help him come up with more songs that could be copyrighted, Rodgers
had enlisted [his wife] Cary's sister, Elsie McWilliams, a Sunday school
music teacher with a gift for turning an overheard phrase or random
incident into a melody with lyrics. Jimmie couldn't read musical
notations. 'Crazy little fly specks with funny tails,' he called them.
So she often came to teach her new compositions to him in person. In
all, Elsie McWilliams would write or contribute to more than a third of
Rodgers' recorded songs.

"At one session in Dallas, which would include a Hawaiian steel guitar
player, Elsie heard Jimmie say, 'I'd like to have me one of them
hula-hula girls.' That night she came up with a new song which they
recorded the next morning: 'Everybody Does It in Hawaii.' With its
suggestive double entendres, the song earned a warning from Variety
magazine that record dealers should 'not sell this into polite families'
because, the review said, 'It's never made clear what everybody does in
Hawaii.'"

[Although the narrator didn't read it out loud, the article continues
with: "That leaves the sensitive listeners in a state of unrelieved
embarrasment." Better to take one's embarrassment in a plain, upfront,
God-fearing way and get it all over with. The anticipation of uncertain
entendres is pure agony for virtuous folk.]

In any case, it's nice to know that people who can decipher fly specks
occasionally have a useful supporting role in the world.
Tatonik
2019-09-28 04:13:49 UTC
Post by Tatonik
Speaking of scores, I was just watching the first episode of the Ken
Burns documentary "Country Music," and there was this bit about the
If Ken Burns made a documentary called "Classical Music," I wonder what
it would be like. No one is left from the early days to interview. But
I can almost imagine the narrator, Peter Coyote, intoning, "Beethoven's
increasing deafness and more frequent temper tantrums made him more
difficult to get along with than ever," as the camera zooms and pans on
various portraits of a scowling Beethoven.
s***@gmail.com
2019-09-27 01:19:11 UTC
13/14...did better than I thought

Stan Punzel
j***@yahoo.com
2019-09-27 12:54:18 UTC
11/14

Fun quiz for an amateur musician like me.
Russ (not Martha)
2019-09-28 17:34:44 UTC
12/14.

Tripped up on a couple of the choral things.

Russ (not Martha)
Al Eisner
2019-10-06 01:22:14 UTC
Post by Tatonik
12/14.
Tripped up on a couple of the choral things.
Russ (not Martha)
Belatedly decided to try this - got 11/14 (I'd also never heard
the Allegri). There was one score I couldn't make sense of, but
got it based on the constant changes of meter. :)