New Cleveland Orchestra recordings
Add Reply
Hank Drake
2020-03-09 12:15:22 UTC
The Cleveland Orchestra's private label will be releasing a 3-CD set in June. It will include concert recordings of works by Beethoven, Varese, Bernd Richard Deutsch, Prokofiev, Strauss (probably Richard) and Staud. The Beethoven will probably include the 9th Symphony from May of 2018 as there was mention at those concerts that the performances were being recorded. The Deutsch is probably his Okeanos for organ and orchestra which was performed in March of 2019.

https://www.amazon.de/Cleveland-Orchestra-New-Century/dp/B085HP9FGX
operafan
2020-03-09 13:34:11 UTC
I'm guessing the Varese piece will be Ameriques. The Prokofiev might be the third symphony. I heard both of those performances in concert, and they were terrific.
Hank Drake
2020-03-09 17:49:31 UTC
On a slightly related note, the Cleveland Orchestra has cancelled scheduled performances in Europe and Abu Dhabi.
Oscar
2020-03-09 19:36:05 UTC
Who comprises the production team for these releases? Michael Bishop's Five/Four?
Hank Drake
2020-03-10 16:32:52 UTC
Post by Oscar
Who comprises the production team for these releases? Michael Bishop's Five/Four?
It's possible. He's still in the Cleveland area. However, most Saturday concerts are recorded by WCLV so their team may be the recording engineers.

Btw, I was at the orchestra store at Severance the other week and they're now selling a selection of used LPs. I bought three in excellent condition, including a Mendelssohn/Schubert symphony LP conducted by Louis Lane.

Hank
Hank Drake
2020-03-11 14:58:29 UTC
A new photo of the set has been published.

The Beethoven will be the String Quartet in A minor, Op. 132, in Welser-Most's arrangement. Varese Ameriques, Deutsch Okeanos. I can't make out the others. I was at two of the concerts and blogged about them.

https://hankdrake.blogspot.com/2017/10/a-study-in-contrasts-beethoven-and.html

https://hankdrake.blogspot.com/2019/03/haydn-deutsch-and-tchaikovsky-with.html

Hank
operafan
2020-03-11 21:46:15 UTC
TCO already has a DG release of a live performance of Beethoven 9 (which isn't that good, and wasn't as good as the most recent performance)--so I'm not surprised they didn't include another Beethoven 9.
Hank Drake
2020-03-11 15:00:49 UTC
Turns out, Amazon US now has the complete listing.

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Cleveland-Orchestra-Franz-Welser-M%C3%B6st/dp/B085F2JNK9
Andrew Clarke
2020-03-12 09:08:02 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
The Cleveland Orchestra's private label will be releasing a 3-CD set in June. It will include concert recordings of works by Beethoven, Varese, Bernd Richard Deutsch, Prokofiev, Strauss (probably Richard) and Staud. The Beethoven will probably include the 9th Symphony from May of 2018 as there was mention at those concerts that the performances were being recorded. The Deutsch is probably his Okeanos for organ and orchestra which was performed in March of 2019.
https://www.amazon.de/Cleveland-Orchestra-New-Century/dp/B085HP9FGX
The whole question of US orchestras increasing income by selling CDs of their own performances has been raised here before. It appears that one orchestra has followed Hall'e and LSO Live by so doing. I wonder if others will follow?

And did the Cleveland have to negotiate with the Musicians' Union?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Hank Drake
2020-03-14 01:43:33 UTC
The orchestra has released a promotional video.

msw design
2020-03-15 03:59:22 UTC
Post by Hank Drake
The orchestra has released a promotional video.
http://youtu.be/8jT5J8VLobA
Dear god, it reads like a bad translation. Whomever is marketing this is out of their depths. It sounds like a bunch of made-up "stuff"- bad bullet points from someone's PowerPoint - because they can't figure out how to market anything real- the conductor, the music, the orchestra. When you look at the BPO sets, they appear to be visually consistent with the orchestra website and really seem to reflect a brand. I find the look of this set baffling- a gesture of denial: "We're fun!"

I say this not with the intent to be bitchy but in the hopes they can succeed. But I see nothing here that shows any clear vision or marketing smarts.
msw design
2020-03-15 04:02:46 UTC
The set is also a resounding "no confidence" vote in FWM. He's so utterly boring that they don't even mention him.
Oscar
2020-03-15 04:13:05 UTC
Wow. msw nailed it. Gives me no pleasure to offer concurrences, either.
Herman
2021-02-02 08:17:20 UTC
It is kind of odd there wasn't a live human being on the Cleveland premises to talk for twenty seconds about the fact that on the Ohio calendar "a new century" has begun in 2021.

Since all recordings in this box are with (or "under the baton of") Welser-Most it would have been the logical thing to have him say a couple of sentences. If he can do the Vienna New Year's Concert, certainly he can do that, too.
Oscar
2021-02-02 09:53:57 UTC
Vintage Vinyl in University City, Mo. has (2) new, sealed copies of this Cleveland box. Was in store last week. Very nice (rectangular) presentation, but I have heard enough weak-stream, low-information Welser-Möst performances on records. Would much rather hear a new initiative dedicated to, say, Stéphane Denève and his Saint Louisans. He was installed in 2019. Haven't heard him conduct yet, but am very interested.
gggg gggg
2021-02-01 23:54:44 UTC
The Cleveland Orchestra's private label will be releasing a 3-CD set in June. It will include concert recordings of works by Beethoven, Varese, Bernd Richard Deutsch, Prokofiev, Strauss (probably Richard) and Staud. The Beethoven will probably include the 9th Symphony from May of 2018 as there was mention at those concerts that the performances were being recorded. The Deutsch is probably his Okeanos for organ and orchestra which was performed in March of 2019.
https://www.amazon.de/Cleveland-Orchestra-New-Century/dp/B085HP9FGX
(Recent Youtube upload):

The Cleveland Orchestra's first recording (1924): Tchaikovsky's 1812 overture, Sokoloff conducting