"Is the Romance of High Fidelity Audio Today Dead?" (recent article)
2021-01-17 01:52:31 UTC
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
henrysibley
2021-01-19 17:27:11 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
YouTube has several very popular high fidelity channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVtSHXafOEcFN10FYygDTA
https://www.youtube.com/user/NewRecordDay
https://www.youtube.com/c/NextBestThingStudio/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQIcXQ2n0sa-7CD0NtqnrrA

There's still 'romance' but it's a bit different now.

Also, some manufacturers are bringing back some of the old styling, my
guess is that these YouTube channels have driven quite a bit of new
sales, and they're willing to expand their product lineups. JBL has
reissued some of its old speaker designs, I understand they sell very
well.
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-19 20:15:52 UTC
Post by henrysibley
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9wBmplRUhaCi-aNrkfgeTg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVtSHXafOEcFN10FYygDTA
https://www.youtube.com/user/NewRecordDay
https://www.youtube.com/c/NextBestThingStudio/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQIcXQ2n0sa-7CD0NtqnrrA
You Tube keeps on suggesting for me

<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6mzA8J7n0ylf0RnDpj-vrg>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMADmrBg2mMall8bpC4anQQ>

Meanwhile, our local discount joints, JB HiFi and The Good Guys, have pretty well got out of 'reasonably-priced' hi-fi. There's headphones, there's smart phones / tablets, there's bluetooth speakers, there's home theatre and nothing much in between. Certainly not the amplifiers and bookshelf speakers of yesteryear. The mass market listens to hifi on its handheld devices as, increasingly, do I.

For living-room listening, I've just installed a 'reasonably priced' Denon PMA30 amplifier. I couldn't find it at a Canberra bricks-and-mortar store so I ordered it online from Melbourne. Got it in four days.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
tonyh
Canberra
tonyh
How do you find this neat little amplifier? I ask as I've been looking at its bigger brother the PMA50. They are reasonably priced and with excellent inputs. What speakers is yours driving? I just wonder at its power rating as I have a reasonably big, though efficient, pair of floor stand speakers but do like these so-called 'small-form' amps.
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-20 03:03:49 UTC
Post by tonyh
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by henrysibley
Post by gggg gggg
[...]
At the moment it's driving a pair of old Polk bookshelf speakers plus [blush] a subwoofer separated from a set of Logitech computer speakers. I've only had the new amp a couple of days, but I do like its clarity. I don't know how it would deal with floor standing speakers though.

Best wishes,

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-22 12:58:16 UTC
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
One thing my wife and I have noticed, is that all the You Tube audiophiles are all men. Are there many / any lady audiophiles around?

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
MELMOTH
2021-01-22 13:38:46 UTC
In every man there is a woman who sleeps...
Frank Berger
Women are too smart for that nonsense.
gggg gggg
2021-01-22 17:05:58 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
One thing my wife and I have noticed, is that all the You Tube audiophiles are all men. Are there many / any lady audiophiles around?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Haven't we scared them all away?

As you know, sometimes this place can be like TWELVE ANGRIER THAN ANGRY MEN meets LORD OF THE FLIES.
Bob Harper
2021-01-22 17:55:10 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
Post by gggg gggg
https://www.audioholics.com/editorials/romance-high-fidelity
One thing my wife and I have noticed, is that all the You Tube audiophiles are all men. Are there many / any lady audiophiles around?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Not since the passing of Enid Lumley.

Bob Harper
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-22 22:21:18 UTC
On the Audio Asylum site where I've posted for about 17 years (I've almost reached 20,000 posts - yikes!), there used to be some women who would post there, but eventually they all left (having endured a very high level of hostility from some of the male posters there) - except for one, Sue Kraft, who I believe also wrote for Stereophile for a brief time. Unfortunately, she just died a few months ago. In addition to her audio posts, she would also post pictures of some of her younger (women) friends in nylons - apparently just to see what kind of reaction she'd get from from us geezers there! ;-)
gggg gggg
Didn't there used to be a Laraine here?
Andrew Clarke
2021-01-23 05:34:39 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
One thing my wife and I have noticed, is that all the You Tube audiophiles are all men. Are there many / any lady audiophiles around?
Andrew Clarke
Canberra
On the Audio Asylum site where I've posted for about 17 years (I've almost reached 20,000 posts - yikes!), there used to be some women who would post there, but eventually they all left (having endured a very high level of hostility from some of the male posters there) - except for one, Sue Kraft, who I believe also wrote for Stereophile for a brief time. Unfortunately, she just died a few months ago. In addition to her audio posts, she would also post pictures of some of her younger (women) friends in nylons - apparently just to see what kind of reaction she'd get from from us geezers there! ;-)
Didn't there used to be a Laraine here?
People who post to this group aren't necessarily audiophiles, nor are they necessarily record collectors, although the name of the group does suggest the latter. We just like classical music, probably, in most cases, prepared to spend just what we can afford on quality playback equipment. I might mention that the You Tube audiophiles I've seen all play rock music on their hyperexpensive systems and never mention classical at all.

Andrew Clarke
Canberra
Chris from Lafayette
2021-01-23 23:13:55 UTC
Post by Andrew Clarke
[...]
I definitely concede that point. If you go to high-end audio shows, you DO hear classical music in some rooms, but more rooms do feature geezer rock, or (that top audiophile favorite category!) "little girl with guitar"!