Barbirolli box error (relatively trivial)
Add Reply
msw design
2020-09-30 12:44:12 UTC
Disc 13 track 1, which is named "Cassation in G major K99 - II. Andante" is actually movement 3 of K.63.

In other news, I am the poor sucker who is playing this via a computer and has ripped all the discs. Now I'm renaming them...
John Fowler
2020-10-05 16:26:50 UTC
Post by msw design
Disc 13 track 1, which is named "Cassation in G major K99 - II. Andante" is actually movement 3 of K.63.
In other news, I am the poor sucker who is playing this via a computer and has ripped all the discs. Now I'm renaming them...
New error in Barbirolli box (also trivial):

Sibelius Symphony 2 first recording (1952 mono)
The scherzo Vivacissimo (track 3) is 11:41
The finale (track 4) is 6:54

The finale actually begins @5:42 of track 3
Track 4 marks where the recapitulation begins.
As in the score, everything is played without pause.
msw design
r***@gmail.com
2020-10-05 23:56:55 UTC
I'm not writing about an error, but an omission. I bought the SONY box of Barbirolli in NY. It lists, but does not contain, a recording of Barbirolli with the NYPO in the early 1940s, that was made for EMI. No such recording is in the Warner box, nor is there any mention of it. According to SONY it was issued by the Barbirolli Society at some time. Does anybody have it?
Richard
Mark Obert-Thorn
2020-10-06 00:23:26 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
I'm not writing about an error, but an omission. I bought the SONY box of Barbirolli in NY. It lists, but does not contain, a recording of Barbirolli with the NYPO in the early 1940s, that was made for EMI. No such recording is in the Warner box, nor is there any mention of it. According to SONY it was issued by the Barbirolli Society at some time. Does anybody have it?
Richard
It's the Schumann Violin Concerto with Menuhin from 1938, on CD 78 of the Warner box.

Mark O-T
Frank Berger
Also released on Biddulph Lab047
John Fowler
According to the Sony/New York Philharmonic booklet Barbirolli also recorded a Mozart Horn Concerto arr for Cello by and with Gaspar Cassado. Apparently there was a problem and the matrixes were destroyed.
John Fowler
NYPO Schumann Violin Concerto with Menuhin also released on Naxos 8.110966 - and it was in the 18 CD box Menuhin: The Historic Recordings (part of the big Menuhin box)
MiNe109
2020-10-06 14:17:58 UTC
Post by John Fowler
Post by Frank Berger
On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 7:56:58 PM UTC-4,
Post by r***@gmail.com
I'm not writing about an error, but an omission. I bought the
SONY box of Barbirolli in NY. It lists, but does not contain, a
recording of Barbirolli with the NYPO in the early 1940s, that
was made for EMI. No such recording is in the Warner box, nor
is there any mention of it. According to SONY it was issued by
the Barbirolli Society at some time. Does anybody have it?
Richard
It's the Schumann Violin Concerto with Menuhin from 1938, on CD 78 of the Warner box.
Mark O-T
Also released on Biddulph Lab047
According to the Sony/New York Philharmonic booklet Barbirolli also
recorded a Mozart Horn Concerto arr for Cello by and with Gaspar
Cassado. Apparently there was a problem and the matrixes were
destroyed.
Purists? I recently heard a Brahms cello sonata with a horn soloist so I
guess it evens out.