Golovanov Collection - Venias - 28 CDs
2018-09-23 00:38:45 UTC
Korean label Venias, which specializes in artist centered compilations of recordings in public domain in Asia, will issue a 28 CD set of recordings by Russian Conductor Nikolai Golovanov in October

https://tinyurl.com/ybafq922

Since I missed out getting the similar Venezia set a few years ago I will certainly put this very high on my wish list. Only recording I have is his to-die-for Sheherezade. Hear nothing but good things about most of the other recrodings.
r***@gmail.com
2018-09-23 07:41:45 UTC
Thanks for this note. I shall have to see the contents to know whether it is worth buying. I began collecting Golovanov with the the Great Conductors of the C20 and various postings here. Certainly he makes something of the Liszt symphonic poems that few others have managed.
music lover
2018-09-23 15:07:56 UTC
Does Venias have a reputation for restorations of historical recordings? Golovanov is great fun and totally original.
But we listen through tons of distortion. And I don’t mean musical.
Craig
Randy Lane
2018-09-23 17:41:58 UTC
Venias, Artis and Ars Nova don't do any restorations. But they usually use good quality sources like Music and Arts and Tahra, which is perfectly legal under Asian copyright laws.
music lover
2018-09-23 17:48:10 UTC
That sounds great except unfortunately I’ve never seen any Golovanov performances on either of those respected labels.

Craig
weary flake
2018-09-24 02:23:34 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Venias, Artis and Ars Nova don't do any restorations. But they usually
use good quality sources like Music and Arts and Tahra, which is
perfectly legal under Asian copyright laws.
I don't think that's how copyright laws work: a reissuer of public domain
music is free to copy old sources only and cannot copy new sources.
Since CDs are inherently of a younger age than the early 1980's, no CD
has yet entered the public domain, so CDs cannot be legally copied.
2018-09-24 23:11:07 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by Randy Lane
Venias, Artis and Ars Nova don't do any restorations. But they usually
use good quality sources like Music and Arts and Tahra, which is
perfectly legal under Asian copyright laws.
I don't think that's how copyright laws work: a reissuer of public domain
music is free to copy old sources only and cannot copy new sources.
Since CDs are inherently of a younger age than the early 1980's, no CD
has yet entered the public domain, so CDs cannot be legally copied.
That depends on the copyright laws of the country where the copying
took place, and whether that country is a signatory on various
treaties.

-Owen
Invocation
South Korea copy right law stays in line with the Universal copyright convention, so a reproduction of an existing CD should be illegal. The real issue is not how the law is regulated, but how well it is reinforced in that nation.
Invocation
2018-09-25 12:18:15 UTC
在 2018年9月23日星期日 UTC-4下午1:42:01,Randy Lane写道:
I think Ars Nova is slightly different from the other two "copycat" label. Its reissues of string players sometimes contain radio broadcasts/LPs never issued on CD before. Not sure where did it get those source.
vhorowitz
2018-09-23 17:45:08 UTC
No, they don’t do any of their own original restoration/transfer work. They steal the work of others, but at least, based on what I’ve heard, don’t go the route (like Membran and many others of EU provenance) of adding their own ruinous NR to things. Of course, when you’re stealing Golovanov, there are many choices, some, perhaps most of them, already NRd to death. So, I suppose they’ll have to pick their poison. And little/poor documentation seems their norm. It’s rather like asking a friend with a very deep collection to give you all of what they have of a certain performer, and upon receipt finding they lost all memory and documentation on where they got things. What would be helpful is more Melodiya to do more Golovanov from their materials....and not charge 3 arms and 4 legs for them.
music lover
2018-09-23 17:49:53 UTC
Totally agree about Melodyia undertaking some of the restoration. Or perhaps Pristine doing something.
j***@yahoo.com
2018-09-23 17:51:55 UTC
Considering the previous Venias set had 16 cds, this set should be the most comprehensive Golovanov edition yet. It’s on my buy list. By the way, I’ve been enjoying the Venias 40 cd Koussevitsky box over the past few days. Many fine performances here. The sound is pretty much fine across the board.
weary flake
2018-09-24 02:16:04 UTC
Post by j***@yahoo.com
Considering the previous Venias set had 16 cds, this set should be the
most comprehensive Golovanov edition yet. It’s on my buy list. By the
way, I’ve been enjoying the Venias 40 cd Koussevitsky box over the past
few days. Many fine performances here. The sound is pretty much fine
across the board.
The 16 CD set I have is from Venezia, not Venias. The Venezia
Golovanov and Richter box sets
often have a high amount of noise reduction similar to Membran. I
remember seeing listings on
ebay of Venezia mp3-CD sets that promise to have the CD equivalent of
twice the size of the
16 CD box, but I wouldn't buy the mp3-CDs and was waiting for the
second CD box to be issued,
but wasn't.

One quirky thing about the Venezia box set is that it listed only one Liszt
tone poem, Mazeppa, while what I heard was Les Preludes.
l***@gmail.com
2018-09-24 02:42:44 UTC
Post by weary flake
Post by j***@yahoo.com
[...]
By the way, despite the Italianate name. Venezia is a Russian unofficial (pirate) label. This was told to me by a Russian music person. Their stereo Nikolayeva/Shostakovich set is excellent.

Mort Linder
Mr. Mike
2018-09-24 18:43:29 UTC
Here the contents, the usual bad Google translation; I cleaned up some
of it. There are only 26 CDs in the set according to HMV's site.

CD 1

Mozart: Requiem K.626 [Jusmayer version]
Natalia · Sipirel (soprano)
Walwala · Gagarina (Alto))
Pyotr Malu Chenko (tenor)
Sergey Krassovski (bus)
Moscow Broadcasting Choir
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Bach: Orchestra Suite 3rd ~ Aria
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1945

Ginker: accompanying music for "Homer ski public" ~ interlude to the
2nd curtain
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1937

Glinka: "Fantastic Waltz"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1945

CD 2

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Prometheus" S.99 / R.416
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Orpheus" S.98 / R.415
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Hearing people, on the top of a mountain" S.95
/ R.412
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

CD 3

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Mazeppa" S.100 / R.417
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Mourning of the hero" S.102 / R.419
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Sound of the Festival" S.101 / R.418
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Grieg: Overture 'In Autumn' op.11
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1949

Sibelius: sad waltz in g minor
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1949

CD4

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Prelude" S.97 / R.414
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Hamlet" S.104 / R.421
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Battle of Hun Tribe" S.105 / R.422
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Ideal" S. 106 / R 423
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

CD5

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Hungary" S. 103 / R.420
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Liszt: Symphonic poem "Tussaud, tragedy and victory" S.96 / R.413
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Grieg: suite "Seagram of the Crusaders" Op.56
The first song "Prelude: in the king's hall (force companion)"
The second song "Interlude: Borghill's dream"
The third song "Loyalty March"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

Ginker: Fantasie "Camarinskaya"
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra

Balakirev: Symphonic poem "Rusi"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

CD 6

Wagner: Prelude to the first act "Nürnberg's My Staginger"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: "My Staginger in Nuremberg" 3rd Act ~ Introduction
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: Overture for "Tannhuiser"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: "Overwhelming Hollander" Overture
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: "Siegfried pastoralism"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

CD 7

Wagner: "Rienzi" Overture
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: "Tristan and Isolde" prelude
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

Wagner: "Tristan and Isolde" Death of Love
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

Wagner: "Parsifal" prelude
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Wagner: "Parsifal" Good Friday's music
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Wagner: "Faust" Overture
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

CD 8

Borodin: symphony number 2 minor minor
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Mussorgsky: Symphonic poem "One night of the mountain"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Mussorgsky: Suite "Exhibition"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

CD 9

Tchaikovsky: Fantasie "Francesca da Rimini" op.32
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1949

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 1 in G minor op.13 "Illusion of the day of
winter"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Tchaikovsky: "Slave March" op.31
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1944

CD 10

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 minor op.74 "Sorrow"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Tchaikovsky: Symphonic ballad "Regional Secretary"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

CD 11

Tchaikovsky: Overture "1812" op.49
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1942

Tchaikovsky: Overture "1812" op.49
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Tchaikovsky: Overture "1812" op.49
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948 (live)

Tchaikovsky: Overture "1812" op.49
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

CD 12

Tchaikovsky: "Festival March" D major
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

Tchaikovsky: Symphonic Fantasie "Tempest" op.18
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Ryardoff: Polonaise d major op. 55
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

Riyadhu: Polonaise C major "To memories of Pushkin" op. 49
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

Ippolitov-Ivanov: From the suite "Osian" op. 56
I. Lake Lyano
II. Kolyma's Lament
III. Ossian's Monologue
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

CD 13

Grieg: "Peer Gynt Suite" No. 1 op.46
Morning
The death of Aase
Anitra's dance
In the hall of the Mountain King
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Grieg: "Pail · Guit Suite" No. 2 op.55
Ingrid's Lament
Arabian Dance
Peer Gynt's Homecoming
Solveig's Song
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1953

Grieg: Lyrical Suite op.54 (Orchestral Arrangement: A. Zeidel)
Shepherd Boy 1
Norwegian Rustic March
Notturno
March of the Dwarfs
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

Grieg: four Norwegian dances op.35
No.1 Allegro marcato d moll
No.2 Allegro tranquillo e grazioso A dur
No.3 Allegro moderato alla Marcia G dur
No.4 Allegro molto D dur
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1949

Svensen: "Melody of Folk Songs of Norway" E Major
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1949

National Anthem of the Republic of Uzbekistan (Orchestra Performance)
Murta Bruhonov (composition)
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra

CD 14

Mendelssohn: suite "Midsummer Night's Dream" op. 61
Overture
Scherzo
Nocturne
Wedding March
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Rimsky-Korsakov: Symphonic poem "Sherazade" op.35
David Oistrakh (violin)
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1947

CD 15

Rimsky-Korsakov: Suite "The Tale of Emperor Sultan" op.57
Allegro.Allegretto alla marcia
Allegro Maestoso
Allegro Moderato
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Rimsky-Korsakov: Opera "Murada" ~ Noble family's march
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1946

Rimsky = Korsakoff: Suite "The Story of Invisible Town Key" - The
Battle of Kerzenets
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1949

Rimsky-Korsakov: Opera "The Tale of the Emperor Sultan" ~ Bumblebean
Flight
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Rimsky-Korsakov: Opera "Sadko" ~ Prelude "Blue Ocean"
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Rimsky-Korsakov: Suite "Golden Chick"
Le tsar Dodon en son palais
Le tsar Dodon sur le champ de bataille
Le tsar Dodon et la reine de Shemakha
La noce et la fin lamentable du tsar Dodon
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

CD 16

Mussorgsky: Opera "Boris Godunov" ~ Polonaise
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Mussorgsky: Suite "Exhibition"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Mussorgsky: Opera "Regular City of Solo Cinzzi" ~ Gopak
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

Mussorgsky: Opera "Hovan Sitina" - The 1st Prelude "The Dawn of the
Moscow River"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Balakirev: Symphonic poem "Tamara"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra

CD 17

Kalinnikov: Symphony No. 1 in G minor
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1945

Glazunov: Symphony No. 5 Bloom major chop op.55
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

CD 18

Glazunov: Symphony No. 6 in C minor op.58
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Glazunov: Symphony No. 7 in F major op.
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

CD 19

Glazunov: Suite "From the Middle Ages" H Minor op.79
I. Prelude
II. Scherzo
III. The Troubador's Serenade
IV. Finale - the Crusaders
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Glazunov: Festival Overture Overture Major major op.73
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Glazunov: Serenade No. 1 A major, op.7
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Glazunov: "March marching on the theme of Russia" Tsukiho Major op.76
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Glazunov: Symphonic poem "Stencer · Rajin" op.13
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

CD 20

Glazunov: Ballet "Old Lady Maro" op.61
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Glazunov: Waltz for Concert 1st Anniversary op.47
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Glazunov: Waltz for Concert No. 2 in F major op.51
Bolshoi Theater Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Glazunov: Ballard F major op.
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

CD 21

Scriabin: Symphony No. 1 Ho Major op.26
Lyudmila · Regostaeva (mezzo soprano)
Anatoly · Orfenof (tenor)
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1946

Scriabin: Symphony No. 4 op.54 "Poetry of Hou Earth"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

CD22

Scriabin: Symphony No. 2 in C minor op.29
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1950

Scriabin: Symphony No. 5 op. 60 "Prometheus"
Alexandre Gorridenweisel (piano)
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

CD 23

Scriabin: Symphony No. 3 in C minor op.43 "Holy poetry"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947

Scriabin: Prelude for Orchestra "Dreams" to minor op.24
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1952

Rachmaninov: Fantasie "rock" op. 7
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Rachmaninoff: "Vocalies" op. 34-14
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1945

CD24

Rachmaninov: "Symphonic dances"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1944, 1949

Rachmaninov: Symphony No. 3 minor op.44
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

CD25

Balakirev: Symphonic poem "Tamara"
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1946

Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 2h minor op.27
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1945

CD 26

Beethoven: "Egmont" Overture op. 84
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1951

Beethoven: Symphony No. 1 in C major Op.21
Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1948

Prokofiev: Symphonic Story "Peter and the Wolf" op. 67
Vera Maretskaya (narration)
Soviet National Symphony Orchestra
Recording: 1947
f***@gmail.com
2018-12-30 09:54:56 UTC
Randy - so is Venias based in Korea? I have seen them there and in Japan where I have bought them in the past... Which is the better country to buy them in terms of price? Can you advise? Thanks
m***@gmail.com
2019-01-02 11:49:05 UTC
IS this something , like the two russian boxes, that someone could eventually upload
gggg gggg
2021-03-31 01:35:34 UTC
Post by Randy Lane
Korean label Venias, which specializes in artist centered compilations of recordings in public domain in Asia, will issue a 28 CD set of recordings by Russian Conductor Nikolai Golovanov in October
https://tinyurl.com/ybafq922
Since I missed out getting the similar Venezia set a few years ago I will certainly put this very high on my wish list. Only recording I have is his to-die-for Sheherezade. Hear nothing but good things about most of the other recrodings.
(Youtube upload):

Antonina Nezhdanova accompanied by Nikolai Golovanov (RARE VIDEO)